Reduce your weight, increase your fiber, calcium, magnesium.

Options
Kristhin
Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
Study: Vegetarian diets HEALTHIER IN EVERY WAY than diets with meat
PCRM.org | Neal Barnard, MD | 06/14/11

Vegetarian diets are not just better for weight management, they are more nutritious than diets that include meat, according to a new study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. With two out of three Americans needing to lose weight, the message is more urgent than ever.

The new findings are based on a study including 13,292 participants in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Not only were vegetarians slimmer than their meat-eating counterparts, their fiber intake was 24 percent higher and calcium intake was 17 percent higher. Vegetarians also consumed more magnesium, potassium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, and vitamins A, C, and E, and less total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol.

The study was accompanied by an editorial concluding that “the benefits of following a plant-based diet can be valuable beyond weight loss goals.” Specifically, the editorial noted, vegetarians have lower cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and “lower risk for many disease states including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and hypertension.”

At PCRM, we have often used vegan diets to help people lose weight or improve diabetes or other health problems. In our 2006 review, 38 of 40 published studies comparing vegetarians and nonvegetarians showed that vegetarians weighed less. We also found that adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet brings a dramatic improvement in nutrition. Cholesterol and saturated fat intake plummet, while fiber, beta-carotene, and important vitamins increase. Using the Harvard School of Public Health’s Alternate Healthy Eating Index (AHEI) score, we have found that vegan participants excel in every AHEI category.

So this raises the question: If meat tends to crowd out nutritious vegetables, beans, and whole grains, and increases the risk for disease, why would anyone recommend it? The answer is that they shouldn’t.

When the USDA released its new MyPlate diagram on June 2, it looked very much like PCRM’s Power Plate developed in 2009 in that it included no meat group. However, instead of PCRM’s “legume group,” USDA opted for a “protein” group that includes beans and soy products, as well as meat. While USDA is slowly moving in the right direction, there is no scientific reason to include meat at all. Avoiding animal products is a key step for maximizing good nutrition and good health.

Replies

• OrganicGal
    OrganicGal Posts: 15
    Options
    And that's why I've been a vegetarian for over a year! Flexitarian before that for about 12 years. :)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I love my meat never giving it away :blushing:
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love my meat never giving it away :blushing:

I'm totally with you on that one...love, love, love
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    For every poorly written vegetarian study that suggests meat is the devil, I'll raise you 3 that say it's perfectly fine for a healthy diet.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    ...provided you substitute the meat for beans or other vegetables, not "veggie burgers, veggie chicken, etc" because that can be worse for you. Whole foods, not processed. I was vegetarian for 15 years and because I did it the "wrong" way by substituting all the wrong things in for meat, my thyroid was all screwed up. After going back onto meat, my thyroid was better within 1 year. I'm not saying this doesn't work, but only if it's done properly.
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i love me my chicken.
    i gave up beef.
    but my chicken is good for me. lol
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Belly Roll, please see the summary of our anatomy compared to that of omnivores below.
    If you'd care to read the entire article which gives much more detail I'd be happy to send it.
    Basically this means our bodies are designed for us to be herbivores. Which means two things:
    1. You were TAUGHT to eat meat rather than it being part of who you really are.
    2. You kill every day be eating meat even though it isn't natural for you to do so.

When I learned this, I knew that I could never go back to eating meat. It is inherently wrong for us as herbivores to do so.
    I haven't seen any cows walking around with shotguns, anyway.

Facial Muscles
    Carnivore Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    Herbivore Well-developed
    Omnivore Reduced
    Human Well-developed

Jaw Type
    Carnivore Angle not expanded
    Herbivore Expanded angle
    Omnivore Angle not expanded
    Human Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location
    Carnivore On same plane as molar teeth
    Herbivore Above the plane of the molars
    Omnivore On same plane as molar teeth
    Human Above the plane of the molars

Jaw Motion
    Carnivore Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
    Herbivore No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    Omnivore Shearing; minimal side-to-side
    Human No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Major Jaw Muscles
    Carnivore Temporalis
    Herbivore Masseter and pterygoids
    Omnivore Temporalis
    Human Masseter and pterygoids

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size
    Carnivore Large
    Herbivore Small
    Omnivore Large
    Human Small

Teeth (Incisors)
    Carnivore Short and pointed
    Herbivore Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    Omnivore Short and pointed
    Human Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Teeth (Canines)
    Carnivore Long, sharp and curved
    Herbivore Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
    Omnivore Long, sharp and curved
    Human Short and blunted

Teeth (Molars)
    Carnivore Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
    Herbivore Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
    Omnivore Sharp blades and/or flattened
    Human Flattened with nodular cusps

Chewing
    Carnivore None; swallows food whole
    Herbivore Extensive chewing necessary
    Omnivore Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
    Human Extensive chewing necessary

Saliva
    Carnivore No digestive enzymes
    Herbivore Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    Omnivore No digestive enzymes
    Human Carbohydrate digesting enzymes

Stomach Type
    Carnivore Simple
    Herbivore Simple or multiple chambers
    Omnivore Simple
    Human Simple

Stomach Acidity
    Carnivore Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Herbivore pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach
    Omnivore Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Human pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach

Stomach Capacity
    Carnivore 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Herbivore Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract
    Omnivore 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Human 21% to 27% of total volume of digestive tract

Length of Small Intestine
    Carnivore 3 to 6 times body length
    Herbivore 10 to more than 12 times body length
    Omnivore 4 to 6 times body length
    Human 10 to 11 times body length

Colon
    Carnivore Simple, short and smooth
    Herbivore Long, complex; may be sacculated
    Omnivore Simple, short and smooth
    Human Long, sacculated

Liver
    Carnivore Can detoxify vitamin A
    Herbivore Cannot detoxify vitamin A
    Omnivore Can detoxify vitamin A
    Human Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Kidney
    Carnivore Extremely concentrated urine
    Herbivore Moderately concentrated urine
    Omnivore Extremely concentrated urine
    Human Moderately concentrated urine

Nails
    Carnivore Sharp claws
    Herbivore Flattened nails or blunt hooves
    Omnivore Sharp claws
    Human Flattened nails
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Just because vegetarians as a whole are "healthier" than non-vegetarians does not mean that you have to be a vegetarian to be healthy and does not mean that vegetarians are as healthy as they could be.
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    thankfully, for all of us, there is more than one healthy way to live!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism caused major health issues for me. A metabolic condition and a food allergy practically make being a vegetarian impossible for me. I was a vegetarian for three years, and it was the sickest I have ever been in my life.

Different things work for different people. :-)
  • Kristhin
    Options
    So vegetarians are more healthy as a whole compared with people who eat meat, as well as deficient in several less vitamins and minerals, and yet meat is healthy?

Meat has been shown through much research over many years, conclusively (as of recent), to be a contributor to cancer as well as a whole slew of other lifestyle diseases.

I posted this because I liked the article and wanted to share. If you have to argue with it in order to make yourself feel better,
    you don't be long on the thread.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ...provided you substitute the meat for beans or other vegetables, not "veggie burgers, veggie chicken, etc" because that can be worse for you. Whole foods, not processed. I was vegetarian for 15 years and because I did it the "wrong" way by substituting all the wrong things in for meat, my thyroid was all screwed up. After going back onto meat, my thyroid was better within 1 year. I'm not saying this doesn't work, but only if it's done properly.

*Agreed*
  • Kristhin
    Options
    While I do enjoy the convenience of processed faux meats, I do agree that the healthiest way to go is a whole foods diet, as nature intended for us.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to deprive cows, pigs, chickens, etc.... of their chance to fulfill their destiny, which is to be grilled over an open flame and enjoyed by me. Their only purpose in life is to become a meal for a person. How sad would they be if they wound up dying of old age never getting a chance to make someone happy and full?
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    So vegetarians are more healthy as a whole compared with people who eat meat, as well as deficient in several less vitamins and minerals, and yet meat is healthy?

Meat has been shown through much research over many years, conclusively (as of recent), to be a contributor to cancer as well as a whole slew of other lifestyle diseases.

I posted this because I liked the article and wanted to share. If you have to argue with it in order to make yourself feel better,

I know this wasn't in response to me, but still...
    we're just saying that there are several healthy ways to live, you're saying there is only one...
    i eat turkey and chicken, and yet, am not vitamin deficient, get my vegetables, and beans, etc. etc., am not lacking in fiber, or calcium, and am healthy according to all the tests i've had run.

i think it just depends on the person.

i agree red meat has been proven to cause cancer and other diseases in excess, which is why people should limit, or exclude it from their diet. but red meat is not the only meat in existence. :P

i have read articles such as the one you are referring to, as well as ones that state the complete opposite. no two people are the same.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

I ask you cite the unbiased studies and their source that [all] meat is the direct contributor of lifestyle diseases and cancer. Also cite the studies that PROVE all vegetarians are healthy regardless of their consumption of processed non-meat products.

Since you're so passionate about the subject, I'm assuming you can produce these at convenience.

Until then, I patiently await your response.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    No, it wasn't directed at you.
    I think its really great that you eat lots of veggies and get tested to be sure all of your vitamin levels are where they should be.
    I think the correct way to say it is that you can still be healthy despite that fact that you eat meat, but not because you incorporate
    meat. The body is an incredible thing which will do its best with what it is given. Cows, in factory farms are fed a diet or soy,
    corn, and fish meal. Their natural diet is grass, and yet they live and grow.
    Deli turkey is processed and therefore has been proven to be just as carcinogenic as a hot dog.
    I'm sure an unprocessed turkey, such as Thanksgiving style, is not as unhealthy though.
    As for chicken, because of the way 98% of them are raised on the factory farms, chicken has been shown to contain arsenic in it.
    Though I do generally agree it is much better to eat poultry rather than mammals.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find this entire conversation hilarious...why is it even on here so folks can argue about it?

I've been vegetarian for 15 yrs...personal choice and all that. I'm also a master herbalist and natural health practitioner...and quite frankly there is no right or wrong in my opinion...(yes, my opinion) . I see healthy people and unhealthy people...vegans, meat eaters, vegetarians etc. Health is a state of mind as well as what you put in your body. Look around you...you will find people and circumstances to validate any view.
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    No, it wasn't directed at you.
    I think its really great that you eat lots of veggies and get tested to be sure all of your vitamin levels are where they should be.
    I think the correct way to say it is that you can still be healthy despite that fact that you eat meat, but not because you incorporate
    meat. The body is an incredible thing which will do its best with what it is given. Cows, in factory farms are fed a diet or soy,
    corn, and fish meal. Their natural diet is grass, and yet they live and grow.
    Deli turkey is processed and therefore has been proven to be just as carcinogenic as a hot dog.
    I'm sure an unprocessed turkey, such as Thanksgiving style, is not as unhealthy though.
    As for chicken, because of the way 98% of them are raised on the factory farms, chicken has been shown to contain arsenic in it.
    Though I do generally agree it is much better to eat poultry rather than mammals.

I get free range, unprocessed, uncured, organic, etc. etc.
    I was less healthy when I was vegetarian. Different strokes, I guess.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Belly Roll, please see the summary of our anatomy compared to that of omnivores below.
    If you'd care to read the entire article which gives much more detail I'd be happy to send it.
    Basically this means our bodies are designed for us to be herbivores. Which means two things:
    1. You were TAUGHT to eat meat rather than it being part of who you really are.
    2. You kill every day be eating meat even though it isn't natural for you to do so.

When I learned this, I knew that I could never go back to eating meat. It is inherently wrong for us as herbivores to do so.
    I haven't seen any cows walking around with shotguns, anyway.

Facial Muscles
    Carnivore Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    Herbivore Well-developed
    Omnivore Reduced
    Human Well-developed

Jaw Type
    Carnivore Angle not expanded
    Herbivore Expanded angle
    Omnivore Angle not expanded
    Human Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location
    Carnivore On same plane as molar teeth