swollen ankles - strange

Options
Hi,
I just noticed that my ankles are very swollen. However, it's only the bony parts on each side of the ankles that are swollen, not all the way around like it's happened when I take a long flight, for example.

Is this normal? I think I know the cause of the swelling (I had a party las night, and ate stuff that I didn't need to), so think it's the result of high sodium intake. I did work out today, and sweat a lot, but didn't pee much.

Anyway, I just wanna know that it's not a symptom of something terrible. By the way, in the past I have felt my swollen ankles very uncomfortable before I saw them. This time, I have no weird sensation, I just noticed it when I saw it.

Replies

• strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    are you diabetic ?
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    are you diabetic ?

No, I'm no diabetic.
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't think that anyone on here could tell you beyond a reasonable doubt that it isn't something horrible. It could be something as simple as water retention due to way to much sodium, or something much more serious. My advice, and I am not a doctor, would be to drink lots of water the rest of the day, make a doctors appointment, and get a full blood work up so that you can make sure it isn't something more serious. I am a diabetic and have a handful of medical issues....so I stick behind the go to the docs hon.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I get them when I drink too much alcohol over a weekend. I went to South Louisiana this past weekend and ran mud boats through the swamps and stayed out with some friends at a camp and noticed after a couple of days of steady beer intake that my ankles were swollen. This is not the first time it has happened. I have actually watched it pretty closely to see what triggers it. I have been checked for diabetes and I recently had a sonogram (unrelated) of my abdomen and my liver function was normal. Sometimes this swellling can be a symptom of cerosis. It can also be related to congestive heart failure....so watch for that.

Common causes of lower edema (ankle swelling)
    -Daibetes
    -Congestive Heart Failure
    -Cerosis of the liver
    -Water retention due to high sodium intake

This is what I have found
  • Papillon22
    Options
    I understand. I just wanted to know if anybody else has experience swelling due to water retention that is only on the side of the ankles, and not necessarily all around. I just find it strange. Thanks for your responses.
  • Papillon22
    Options
    Update: after massaging my ankles and sleeping with a pillow under my mattress, I woke up this morning with no swelling.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    This actually happened to me recently after a hiking and rock climbing trip. Was quite a scary experience actually, both my ankles were really swollen and painful. Did you have pain as well?

I discovered I was having circulation problems brought on by hormonal birth control. Do you have any previous circulation issues that could have been exacerbated by exercise or something?

Glad to hear it's better. Mine last for 3 days or so.
  • Papillon22
    Options
    No, I didn't have any pain, which was the surprising part because when it's happened before (when I took a 12 hour flight), my ankles felt really uncomfortable and a bit painful. Not this time, hence the question.

I don't have any issues, so I think this was the result of a combination of alcohol and crappy food from a party, which led to water retention.

I didn't know the pill could make things worse...why haven't I given it up already?...
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Yeah the pill has some nasty side effects. I'm apparently lucky enough to experience some of the more rare and serious ones. I stopped taking it immediately after I found that out. No way I'm risking my health.