MFP Runner's Club - September 29

Options
Well, good morning everyone! Monday has rolled around again....
Thanks to everyone who gave me words of encouragement last week for my first 5K on Saturday. To give my report.... it went GREAT! I was so nervous at first I thought I was going to throw up. But once my friend and I started running, we had a great time. We kept telling ourselves "It's not a race (at least for us), it's for a good cause, and we're burning calories!!!" Well, I ran the entire thing. No walking, no stopping, all running. And the best part? 43 minutes and something seconds (I stopped listening after I heard the 43 minutes because I was so stunned). 43 MINUTES!!! The best I've ever done is 49.5 minutes. Whoo Hoo! So now my goal for next year is to be under 30 minutes and not come in last of the runners (some walkers were still behind us).
This morning I did elliptical and upper body weights.
Happy Monday everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Well, good morning everyone! Monday has rolled around again....
    Thanks to everyone who gave me words of encouragement last week for my first 5K on Saturday. To give my report.... it went GREAT! I was so nervous at first I thought I was going to throw up. But once my friend and I started running, we had a great time. We kept telling ourselves "It's not a race (at least for us), it's for a good cause, and we're burning calories!!!" Well, I ran the entire thing. No walking, no stopping, all running. And the best part? 43 minutes and something seconds (I stopped listening after I heard the 43 minutes because I was so stunned). 43 MINUTES!!! The best I've ever done is 49.5 minutes. Whoo Hoo! So now my goal for next year is to be under 30 minutes and not come in last of the runners (some walkers were still behind us).
    This morning I did elliptical and upper body weights.
    Happy Monday everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new PR Margie :flowerforyou:
    I had an easy 3 miler this morning.

Happy running to everyone.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well done Margie! We all did great at the weekend. I did my 5K race in 39min 26sec. I was aiming for under 40, so I did it!

I am running tonight. :smile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your time for the 5k Margie. Keep it up and you will break that 30 min mark.

We ran for bootcamp this morning around the track. I was really paying attention to how many laps I did.:ohwell: I forgot to set my HRM for the time so I don't even know how long we were running. Can you tell it's Monday!

On a better note, we had a guest come out today. He owns North Wales Running company and was giving us tips on how to run better. He had a trivia question and the person who guessed it right won a free pair of running shoes. Guess who got it right. ME. Of course, I just bought new running shoes 3 weeks ago but I figured I could keep them in the closet until needed again. YAY.

Ok, here was the question. What significant event happened in the running world over the weekend?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hello runners! I got in a good 5 mile run w/ a friend this morning. My achilles is feeling a little *tweaky* so I'm icing it. I've had achilles tendonitis in the past and I think my hilly run on Saturday might have triggered it. Icing and Advil can usually keep it away!

I'm off to help out and chaperone in my 7yo's class this morning, have a good one!

Jess
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Sherry was it the guy from Ethiopia breaking 2:04 in the Berlin Marathon?

Good morning:flowerforyou:

Way to go everyone who raced this weekend! Races are so much fun!! And they show us that our training does pay off.

I ran an easy paced 4 miles this morning. I am sore. I ran 12.5 miles on Sunday. That's a new distance pr for me. I think I'm ready for my half in November.

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I ran for 30 min, lifted and ran a mile worth of sprints! I can't wait to drop some weight since I'm not training as hard. I don't have my next big race until January. It's a marathon trail run. So a couple weeks of light running and then hit it again.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    All kinds of break throughs today! Margie and RR2 setting time PRs, Kechie making a distance PR. Good job everyone! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Spin class for me this morning, good endurance ride.
    Have a good one.
  • Slender1
    Options
    Great job everyone on your runs!!!

I have boot camp this evening.
  • geregam
    geregam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone on their runs over the weekend. Keep training and you'll find yourself doing what you never thought you could do. I ran Pittsburgh's Great Race yesterday, and turned in a PR 53:06 in the 10K component. Less than two years ago I could barely run a mile without stopping to catch my breath.

As for me, the weather is going to get colder soon, which is good for me. I love running in the cold and will continue to run outside until December or January.
  • samccarthy
    Options
    You guys are all so inspiring! I talked to my trainer at the gym about shaking up my routine, so he suggested running the hill program on the treadmill. I went at a good speed for me (6.2 mph) and every minute the treadmill changes--from 0% - 0.7%, back to 0.%, then going back and forth in increments of 0.7% (so, 1.4, 2.1, 2.8 etc up to 4.9!) and then it repeats. I managed 30 min and then did weights. I was very proud of myself for accomplishing this!

Sheryl
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sherry was it the guy from Ethiopia breaking 2:04 in the Berlin Marathon?

YAY Kechie. Who knew that would literally be a $100.00 question. :laugh: Sorry I don't have another pair of running shoes for you.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Margie - Congats! I did my first 5K a month ago and it was so great. I was also really nervous in the beginning! Now I am training for a 10K! It gets in your blood!

Today I am running a 3 mile loop near my house because my son is home sick. Will run with cell phone in hand :wink: . I'm doing intervals and bumping up the run.

Have a great day!
    Bunny
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Afternoon runners:

no run today, did Kenpo X this morning.

Congrats to all racers and those getting their personal bests.

Carol
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    good monday everyone!

I got 45 minutes of intervals in this morning and I have body pump tonight with my 14 year old and a walk or bike ride with energy boy (my 10 year old son) tonight. My kids are turning out to be great workout buddies! :laugh:

Have a nice day everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I walked, adding in my 2.5 min & 2 min & 1.5 min runs! Still building my run time, really need to devote myself to it more.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Margie and Kechie! Good stuff, girls! :drinker:

Ran 4 today on the treadmill at the gym.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bicep and tricep weight lifting today. I ordered my gps receiver to go with my phone so i can start measuring speed and distance more accurately. should be here on tuesday or wednesday!!! I was on the elliptical machine for 90 minutes and I usually see decreases in my 5k time when i get a long elliptical workout in. I'll probably run on wednesday after the receiver gets here.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles tonight round Pflugerville lake.

Tired!