Check out my food diary... I need food ideas!

Options
Please feel free to check out my food diary & offer advice if you will.

I've gotten so used to eating only when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full. I figure that's a good thing. But now I'm working out 2 - 3 times a day and I'm not eating enough calories. Here is my day:

Wake up at 5:45am; walk 2 miles at about 4.0 to 4.5 speed.
Go to work at 8. Eat 2 pieces of 25 calorie slice toast with pb & pumpkin butter.
On 10 minute break at work I walk around the parking lot 2x (about 1/2 mile total).
Off by 1:30pm.
Come home & eat some leftovers from the nights before.
Around 3pm I kick the kids outside and do 15 minutes with Jenny McCarthy on the Wii Your Shape game.
Around 5 or 6pm we have dinner. (Something healthy.)
I have the kids in bed by 8:30pm-ish and try to be in bed between 9 & 10pm.

My question is... What foods can/should I eat throughout the day? I usually burn around 400 - 500 calories a day and I always have extra calories leftover. I find myself eating random foods just to get in extra calories. I try to make sure they're healthy choices but they aren't always.

Thanks for all your help & advice!!

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I use Protein shakes and veggies as my extra staples...

Brocolli, Green Beans (frozen in both cases), and edamame...
    The protein shake is great for post workout and a wonderful way to jump start your metabolism in the morning!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    An easy way to increase your calories is to eat the same foods, but not the ones that are low fat/fat free. For example, instead of the 25 calorie slice of toast, use a hearty multigrain bread (probably a bigger slice, so just eat one) and you've eaten 70 more calories.

In addition, adding in nuts as snacks throughout the day are a great way to increase the calories without feeling too full. Almonds are my personal favorite!
  • StephanieJacobs
    StephanieJacobs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almonds can be a good healthy snack and a serving size can have around 170 calories. they have them in all flavors now including cinnamon and sugar which to me are like desert. If you don not like almonds other nuts have a lot of benefit. I also each cheese sticks sometimes and Greek Yogurt. This is a link to one of the brands I like http://www.chobani.com/

1431013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Avocado! :love:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use Protein shakes and veggies as my extra staples...

Brocolli, Green Beans (frozen in both cases), and edamame...
    The protein shake is great for post workout and a wonderful way to jump start your metabolism in the morning!
    This they seem to be the easier way to get in good healthy calories. I find it easy to add a protein shake to my preworkout meal. its easy to digest so I don't get sick working out.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Snack Snack Snack.....keeps your metabolism revved up and you burn more calories all day. My suggestion.......Fiber Plus bars. They are a great source of Fiber (great for weight loss) and Protien.....not to mention the antioxidants they have packed in there. Also fresh fruits and cheese.
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying I am *NOT* a nutritionist! But a couple of things jumped out at me, just based on me taking a quick look at your last week or so:

- Instead of the "diet" bread (which i love and eat exclusively now) maybe try the regular kind? It might keep you a little fuller for a little longer, and it will give you an additional 30-40 calories per slice.

- Try to work in more fruit! Not that I can reeeeaaaally talk on this point since I need to do this as well, but it might help. If you have a choice between a jello fat free pudding cup and a cup of grapes, even though they are close in calorie count, the grapes are better for you.
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt. It has lot's of protein. My favorite is fresh berries mixed into plain greek yogurt. I like chobani or fage fat free greek yogurt.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Your food choices look great but I do see that you do have a LOT of calories left at the end of the day. Try making yourself a nice protein shake after your workout. That will help with the calories and it's a good healthy choice. I make mine with 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup frozen berries.Throw it in the blender and it's like a fruit smoothie:) Yum! Also eat snacks in between all your meals. Unsalted almonds, greek yogurt, a tablespoon of peanut butter on a banana. Just make sure they are good healthy choices and not loaded with sodium. It does take some practice at getting it down but you will eventually master it. When you know you are working out, start eating more earlier in the day. Best of luck to you:)
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    If you are not feeling hungry then don't worry about it too much. If you have plenty of fat to burn then your body will burn it.
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    I'm always slightly dismayed by people advocating shakes and the like to up calorie intake or protein levels; I think natural food has got to be better for you, no?

so to this end - nuts, avocado, oils, carby fruits like banana. Sprinkle seeds (tiny but wholesome and calorie-laden) on your salads and drizzle with a good tbspn of oil. Make a bowl of full fat Greek yoghurt, top with sliced banana and chopped walnuts, drizzle with honey and sprinkle some oatbran on top. Factor in some starchy veg like sweet potato (roast in chunks in the oven with a drizzle of oil and some rosemary) and sweetcorn. Hope this helps!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if I'm lacking calories I like avacado, chocolate almond milk, trail mix, triscuits and hummus...things like that...and olives, but those are my addiction lol
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Have you tried planning out your day in advance. Then you won't find yourself "looking" for things to eat at the end of the day. Trail mix, Greek yogurt, and dried fruits are easy foods to fit in that don't take up a lot of space. I think these were all suggested.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! These are all great ideas. And I LOVE avocados & nuts! I will head to the store tomorrow.
  • trk24
    trk24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. I am always below my calories for the day too. Like today, its almost dinner time but I still have over 800 cals for the day. I can't possibly eat that much for dinner, well I could but it wouldn't be healthy. I like the suggestions so far and hope I can incorporate these into my diet as well, considering I have been here 12 days and have yet to lose one pound. I obviously don't have this figured out yet.
    Good luck to you!