Just had one of those scratch your head moments

Options
2»

Replies

• LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Hahahaha, love this! I don't count them.. is that bad? lol
    HAHAHAHAHA SO funny you ask this question. I asked this very same question at work one day about a year ago - and noone had the answer. And they all thought I was a little nutty for even asking - but it made them scratch their heads too. It's a multi-faceted question.
    1. If you don't swallow the gum, does it still count as all 5 calories?
    2. If you only chew the gum for a few seconds, do you only ingest a portion of the calories- and if so does the rate of calorie intake per seconds chewed vary from gum to gum?
    3. If the calories counted on the package are in the flavor part alone - and you also swallow the gum, do you ingest more calories?
    4. And lastly - does chewing the gum for a long time burn more calories than are in it in the first place?

I say this is a job for the MYTHBUSTERS!!!
    If it's just one or two pieces I don't count them either. But when they first came out with Trident Layers - I found myself chewing through an entire pack in one day - I'd chew a piece until it lost its flavor, and swap it out for another - and that is what made me ponder the issue in the first place. A 12 piece pack would have like 60 calories - and although I wasn't doing MFP at the time, I was counting calories - and realized wow! That's a lot of calories!
  • holdthefries
    holdthefries Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    And if its ABC gum then there are no calories right?:tongue:
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    New goal for later this year, consume my entire day's worth of calories in gum....

Oh it's going to be epic.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just start chewing it faster, then I'll burn those 5 calories, and add a few minutes to my Cardio for the day! LOL!!! :laugh:
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    And if its ABC gum then there are no calories right?:tongue:

I just fell out of my chair laughing!!!!!!!
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    New goal for later this year, consume my entire day's worth of calories in gum....

Oh it's going to be epic.

I'm with you, let me know what day we're gonna do it!:drinker:
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOL yes it counts ;) hehe they don't intend for you to eat it! Actually, the calories probably come from the sugar and/or sugar alcohols they put into the gum. You know how the sweet taste disappears after a while? that means all the calories are gonesies :O]

So... If I only chew it for a few minutes, not until all the flavor is gone I'm cutting the calories in half! Right???:wink:

You gotst it!!! hehe

also you could do a few jumping jacks and burn those sticks off. don't want them to go to your waist!!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ack double post
  • jeffpettis
    Options

also you could do a few jumping jacks and burn those sticks off. don't want them to go to your waist!!

My waist is my "problem" area, so I do not want that!!! :laugh:
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I also have this condition where I can't have only 1 piece. It must be 2. And if I ever offer a piece of gum, expect I will hand you 2, there are exactly 18 sticks of gum in my pack of tropical twist trident. That is 9 chewing sessions! 9! not 8.5.

I can't handle an odd number of sticks of gum in a container.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I also have this condition where I can't have only 1 piece. It must be 2. And if I ever offer a piece of gum, expect I will hand you 2, there are exactly 18 sticks of gum in my pack of tropical twist trident. That is 9 chewing sessions! 9! not 8.5.

I can't handle an odd number of sticks of gum in a container.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm a two-piece-chewer too.

I mean, I won't freak out if I only get to chew one piece, but generally I prefer to chew two.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    They don't make the pieces big enough!!!