Have you had to get out of a slump?

Options
Help I was doing so well.
I was almost to my goal then we went on vacation. It was the first time I felt proud to show off my swimsuit. While we were there I stayed on track. I went jogging almost every morning swimming every day and kept track of what I ate in a note book. Two weeks with family and friends and not a pound gained. I came home feeling fantastic then... I crashed.
Now we have been home for a month and I can’t seem to get it together. I am unmotivated and can’t stop eating. My family keeps telling me that I look great and don’t need to lose more, but I think they are just accustomed to me being overweight. I have a tendency to give up just before a project is finished and I rely don’t want to this time.
Have you had to get out of a slump and what worked for you?

Replies

• promiseskept
    promiseskept Posts: 119
    Options
    Find some old pictures and remind yourself how you got there and now where you are!!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had to get out of slump. Sometimes, I don't do so well. This time, I am doing better. I think all I really did was get up and do it (work out) anyway. After a vacation, I was up 5 pounds....I didn't want to work out that first day home....but I made myself do it-made up my mind....I knew the longer I put it off, the harder it was going to be to get going again. So I dragged my butt out, and about half way thru the work out, I sort of got my groove back and was glad I did it.

I try to focus on that-how I feel AFTER a work out. Physically, I feel good, but I mean emotionally. Motivationally. Like I accomplished something. Asserted some self discipline. Something like that.

This time, it is working for me.

Plus, I like having work outs to log on mfp for the positive feedback.

Hope that helps some. You can do this. Think about your reasons for starting this journey....what were your goals? how do you feel?

And remember, everyone has bad days periodically. So don't beat yourself up. It is what it is.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me so many times. I'll do really good and then I'll have a week or two where I just completely binge. (Literally up to 8000 calories a day). It's like this uncontrollable urge to eat and it's like I can't do anything about it until I pig out for a week. Being active here has been helping me a lot though and knowing that people on here can see what I eat everyday! :P I also go to youtube and watch other peoples success stories. That usually gets me pretty pumped up again.
  • agilegazelle
    Options
    truthfully i did have a slump as well, i was working out from august to october and i lost 40 lbs, i then got tired of pushing myself(and my motivation dumped me =P). I couldn't go back to working out for about 6 months and i started again in may. I think what i did was just start, taking the first step to getting back is the most important part. Just find something that you can use as motivation for why you want to keep going, your family is saying you are fine and making you complacent, just say hey i can go further and become better. That's what works for me good luck!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Help I was doing so well.
    I was almost to my goal then we went on vacation. It was the first time I felt proud to show off my swimsuit. While we were there I stayed on track. I went jogging almost every morning swimming every day and kept track of what I ate in a note book. Two weeks with family and friends and not a pound gained. I came home feeling fantastic then... I crashed.
    Now we have been home for a month and I can’t seem to get it together. I am unmotivated and can’t stop eating. My family keeps telling me that I look great and don’t need to lose more, but I think they are just accustomed to me being overweight. I have a tendency to give up just before a project is finished and I rely don’t want to this time.
    Have you had to get out of a slump and what worked for you?

I sooo understand where you are coming from. It really is a matter of trying different things to see what lights that spark back again. For me, a great workout usually does the trick. When I am in a funk like this, I pretty much have to dig deep and make myself do what I know needs to be done until my mentality "clicks" again. This isn't easy though, but its a choice we can all make. I don't feel like I am a 100% "there" yet, but I've been making myself exercise and eating as best as I can. No, my eating hasn't been perfect, but that isn't real life anyway.

Also try meditating or praying quietly and do some soul searching. There is usually a reason that you're not able to do the best thing for yourself. What are the thoughts that invade your mind when you get in a quiet place and think? What are the reasons that you're eating 10 cookies instead of 1? Once you can address these types of questions, I think you will start to feel better and it will show up in the choices you make. Try journaling or blogging. It usually helps me!

I hope you get through this. Whatever you do, don't give up. You deserve all the effort it takes to complete this journey.

Take care!:smile:
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    Im trying to get out of a slump. I think its alot to do with the fact I have nothing to work towards. Last year the weight dropped off steadily and I was totally focused up until i went on holiday. Since then it started going back on. If im honest i've put 10ls on since october. I was so close to my goal and i've totally sabotaged myself. I try really hard for a couple of days then fall right back off the wagon. Cant explain it other than I dont have a clear finish line / goal to work towards now. I dont know what I can do to get myself focused again.

Anyway that wasnt any help but just wanted to say you werent alone and good luck getting out of your slump. If you do chuck some tips my way :laugh: