Protein Bars...

violet_820
violet_820 Posts: 77 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I'd like some opinions on protien bars! Whether they are good, bad, helpful, disastrous... also, if you DO like them, what should I look for in the nutrients? How many grams of protein is good? Around 12? And which brands?

Any insight would be great!

Replies

• chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427 Member
    pure protein peanutbutter caramel surprise!!!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Ive tried a million of them. My new favorite is the pure protein-chocolate deluxe. It is 190 calories and has 20g of protein. It has more potassium and less sodium than the other kinds. I used to love Zone bars but the pure protein bars have more protein. The zone bars were like 200-220 calories and only 10g of protein.

I would check the ingredients, the sodum level, calories and sugar.
    Good luck!!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    To me, the best that I've found so far are Marathon snickers bars. I can also tolerate the Luna - Cookie Dough bars...but they aren't as good in my opinion.
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    The thing with Protein bars is the SUGAR...Check the carbs and sugar content on the bars. Also, look for one HIGH in protein and LOW in the carbs...You want to keep the carbs UNDER 10 grams per seving and the protein needs to be above 10-15 or more. :-)
    If the sugar is over 3 grams, it's too much. You're better off using a protein shake like "Amplify Whey Protein" found at GNC or something like that, but again, watch the carbs and sugar. :-)
    Also, there are some whole wheat wraps/pitas at Wal Mart in the deli section. They're called "Joseph Flax Oat Bran Whole Wheat Pitas or Wraps." They have 7 grams of protein. Get two of those, add a little all natural peanut butter, roll em up and you're getting MORE Protein that the bars have! :-) Just an idea. :-) Good luck! :-)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    I love the P90X protein bars. They are really tasty and can be used as meal replacements.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    I used to eat them pretty often for breakfast or before workouts.. but then i realized how much sugar there was in them.
    some have like 25g of sugar.. that can be a persons full need of sugar. so i have stopped eating them. there are a couple protein bars and shakes that are sugar free that i use sometimes.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I have tried a lot of bars and my favorite are Myoplex Lite:

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size:1 bar

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
    Calories 190
    Fat Calories 40
    Total Fat 4.5 g
    Saturated Fat 3 g
    Cholesterol <5 mg
    Sodium 260 mg
    Potassium 320 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 26 g
    Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 15 g

But do not eat bars very often anymore. I use Body Fortress Protein Shots after exercising:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 Vial
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 0
    %Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Sodium 95mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 26g
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Although they are not truly a high protein bar, the two quick snack bars I go for now are Larabar and Clif bar. They are all natural, no added junk, and really very good for you! Plus, they taste like real food instead of processed junk. They aren't chocked full of protein or anything, but have good carbs and are great for a quick snack on the go, or bite after a workout.
  • Pure Protein bars are probably the best but, I stay away from bars all together. Pure protein bars has the least carbs but, a lot of those bars pack as many calories and fat as a candy bar. Protein shakes are the way to go .. the low carb variety.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    pure protein peanutbutter caramel surprise!!!!

My fav! I love them :)
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    I posted this on another thread about protein bars, but I have to say Larabars for protein are no good.
    They have minimal amounts of nuts in them and they are NOT organic. They cleverly use advertising strategies to make your mind percieve them to be healthier than they actually are.
    Go for Luna bars.. the original type or Protein (which I prefer for the texture and flavor). The original Luna bar is made with a rice and soy based protein system with low glycemic sweeteners to sustain your body's functioning for a longer amount of time, thus, you aren't hungry soon after. Protein bars can fill you up temporarily. Low glycemic keeps you satisfied and alert.
    The Luna protein bars use higher amounts of protein and have a velvety texture that is rich. They are also gluten free, the original Luna bars are good for gluten-intolerant folks, but celiacs can only have Luna Protein.
    Here are links to some Amazon options (to gauge pricing). They are so affordable!:
    Original Luna: http://www.amazon.com/Luna-24-Count-Chocolate-8-Caramel-8-Peanut/dp/B002CGSOG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308273816&sr=8-2
    Luna Protein: http://www.amazon.com/Luna-Protein-Chocolate-Peanut-Butter/dp/B004CK79NA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308273835&sr=8-2

P.S. There are so many flavors, take your time and browse around Amazon to get all the different options!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Hi, I'd like some opinions on protien bars! Whether they are good, bad, helpful, disastrous... also, if you DO like them, what should I look for in the nutrients? How many grams of protein is good? Around 12? And which brands?

Any insight would be great!

Most seem to be glorified candy bars nowadays, I'd stay away from most. Biotest is the only brand I would trust anymore and you can usually only buy them direct from their site. They sell FiNiBar for pre-workout and Metabolic Drive bars for snacks, meal replacement, etc.
  • I asked my dietitian about protein bars earlier this week and she said that some are good and some are bad. The good ones have less than 200 calories, less than 15 grams of sugar, at least 5 grams of protein, at least 3 grams of fiber, and less than 3.5 grams of saturated fat.

I eat the Special K Protein meal bars! I have the chocolate peanut butter kind, and it is super delicious!
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    I asked my dietitian about protein bars earlier this week and she said that some are good and some are bad. The good ones have less than 200 calories, less than 15 grams of sugar, at least 5 grams of protein, at least 3 grams of fiber, and less than 3.5 grams of saturated fat.

I eat the Special K Protein meal bars! I have the chocolate peanut butter kind, and it is super delicious!

I love love love the special k protein meal bars! They just came out with chocolate caramel which is my favorite by far. All other protein bars tastes like chalk to me....
  • Karen5216
    Karen5216 Posts: 4 Member
    I like Luna Bars the best.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Pure Protein are great. 17grams or more of protein w/about 170 calories up to around 250. Just have to read the labels. If trying any with less than 17 grams of protein, I would skip it as not worth the calories.

I like the Smores: 19gr protein, 180 calories, 20gr carbs and 2 gr sugar, overall better combo than most of the bars.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    To keep the carbs/sugar down I have been eating the Adkins bars and I LOVE them. I'm not doing Adkins at all....just didn't want the added sugar that most bars give you, and they are delicious!!! I don't have a sugar crash after them either. I had the chocolate caramel double crunch (I think is the name?) this morning after class. 10g of protein, 160 calories, I think ONE gram of sugar? It was DELICIOUS! Like a candy bar.
This discussion has been closed.