4 oz of cooked hamburger meat??? how

BJC78
BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
Making tacos/burritto but I don't have a food scale to measure 4oz :( any suggestions on eye balling it? Maybe 1/2 cup? 1/4 cup?
Please help :)

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    I'd say 1/2 cup, since a cup is 8 oz, but that's a guess, I have a great scale! Best $20 I've spent for the kitchen in a long time!!!
  • 1/2 cup
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Never measured it before, only weighed it but if I had to guess I'd say 1/2 cup.
  • gettingthere2011
    gettingthere2011 Posts: 17 Member
    1/2 cup for 4 oz. Since 8 oz is a measuring cup.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    3 oz cooked fish, poultry, or meat—size of a deck of cards, the palm of your hand, or a checkbook
    http://blog.zisboombah.com/2010/05/17/eyeballing-serving-sizes/
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Thanx! Definitely need to invest in a scale :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    1 cup packed. I had some cold in the fridge and measured it on my scale. Granted mine is cold so its not moist so don't fill yours completely to the top.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    4oz of cooked drained beef is equal to 1 cup! hope this helps
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    they say the size of your palm. i'm voting 1/2 cup, too!
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    measuring cups for baking are for liquid measurement. 4 oz. of ground beef is meant to be weight. I'm betting that a 1/2 cup of ground beef is way more than 4 oz of beef. Remember that a quarter pound hamburger is 4 oz. of meat.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    You would think since a cup is 8oz that 4oz of meat is half that... I googled it once before and it said 4oz of ground meat is a cup...
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Measuring cups are for liquid ounces(oz as in volume). You need 4oz of cooked hamburger (oz as in weight).

1 oz of lean cooked drained hamburger is equal to 1/4 cup. So 4oz would be 1 cup.
  • koogabah
    koogabah Posts: 16 Member
    Purchase scale and profit.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Do not confuse the 8 fl. ounces to measuring actual weight!! This means 4 ounces of hamburger does NOT equal a half a cup! So many people confuse this and end up with either way too much or way too little. The last time I weighed it out on my food scale, it looked to be about a quarter cup, possibly a little more. So in this case people may be right that it could be close to a 1/2 cup, but that does not always happen! I suggest trying to find a food scale. Some of the cheaper ones actually work really really well. I am extremely poor LOL, but the food scale I bought was definitely worth the money, and it was on sale for $18.

If you ever get up the energy to want to search it, there are a few articles out there about the difference between fl. ounces and "regular" ounces. fl. ounces are simply a measurement of volume, not a measurement of weight.

Hopefully this helps!! :)
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    4 oz of meat is a measure of mass. You can't put it into a cup that measures volume. If you buy the meat at the store it's usually weighed for you so if you bought a pound of beef just estimate into quarters if you don't have a scale. Or just quadruple the recipe and have leftovers!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I took a measuring cup (1 cup) and put it on a digital scale, zero it out and pack it with cold, cooked, drained ground beef. It weighed 4 oz..
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Just so you know, most measurements of meat and things are raw. So when the serving size on the package says 4 oz., that is raw, uncooked meat... when it cooks down, it will look like a lot less.
  • Joann1560
    Joann1560 Posts: 1
    0ne of those small Dixie cups are 4oz.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    a measuring cup measures volume not weight........buy a food scale, they're not expensive
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Check the pound/servings on the packaging and eyeball it if you won't be ponying up for a scale anytime soon. There are figures for portions of both raw and cooked meat floating around for a reason. A pound weight is sixteen ounces, which means a one-pound chub is four four-ounce servings raw. Portioning a single pound into quarters will get the job done. Larger quantities will be split into more, which can make the job more difficult without a scale. Difficult, not impossible. I still don't own one and don't feel the need to.