size 12 model beats out size 0...

2»

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Sigh...I wish the "modelling industry turning towards curvy women" part would be true, but I feel like I hear the same story every few years, and yet 99% of the models are still scarily thin.

Those pictures were crazy, though! Who besides the fashion industry and pro-ana sites would deem that second girl more beautiful??

There seems to be story like this like you said, every few years. Then it kind of settles and the super skinny prevails.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    old article. The top one looks healthier, but shes not model size is she. her legs are way too chunky. The bottom model is blatently underweight, and i presume the suns picture has been airbrushed to make her look worse, in fact i think the mails one has probably been airbrushed too cos her pelvis looks way too high. Eitherway, the lamé swimsuit does nothing for her, but sizewise, its hardly newsworthy that thats the sort of frame clothes designers want.

You have a beautiful curvy girl modeling the clothes, and everyone looks at the model. You have a thin clotheshanger model modelling them, and everyone looks at the clothes. Thats the idea. Theyre supposed to be waifly and thin, not beautiful and curvy

I think the ideal frame would be somewhere between the two

Her legs are not "way too chunky." Wow.

NOT way too chunky..perfectly curvy. I hate that curvy is considered fat..it's ridiculous. That would rule out people like Marilyn Monroe being beautiful..she would be considered overweight these days. I want to be thin and fit and curvy..not emaciated looking. NO ONE would consider that attractive.
  • jterry03
    jterry03 Posts: 33 Member
    old article. The top one looks healthier, but shes not model size is she. her legs are way too chunky. The bottom model is blatently underweight, and i presume the suns picture has been airbrushed to make her look worse, in fact i think the mails one has probably been airbrushed too cos her pelvis looks way too high. Eitherway, the lamé swimsuit does nothing for her, but sizewise, its hardly newsworthy that thats the sort of frame clothes designers want.

You have a beautiful curvy girl modeling the clothes, and everyone looks at the model. You have a thin clotheshanger model modelling them, and everyone looks at the clothes. Thats the idea. Theyre supposed to be waifly and thin, not beautiful and curvy

I think the ideal frame would be somewhere between the two

Her legs are not "way too chunky." Wow.

NOT way too chunky..perfectly curvy. I hate that curvy is considered fat..it's ridiculous. That would rule out people like Marilyn Monroe being beautiful..she would be considered overweight these days. I want to be thin and fit and curvy..not emaciated looking. NO ONE would consider that attractive.

I agree!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    14lbs = 1 stone.

Hate to burst the bubble a bit but that newspaper is a vile woman hating piece of crap. It's right wing, and generally horrible to most women. This article was just another excuse to berate someone. There are a million articles branding UK 12's podgy and saying "oh look they've gained so much weight".

Women will never win with them.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    way too chunky to be a model. Not way too chunky for everyday life. She looks absolutely fine and a healthy weight. Im not making a value judgement, but its hardly newsworthy that shes too big to be a model
  • suzycreamcheese
    and quit with the marilyn monroe thing. Everyone knows the marilyn monroe being overweight is false. She was a UK8 (US4) and no more than a size 10 at her very largest (us6)

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article6044724.ece
  • suzycreamcheese
    and quit with the marilyn monroe thing. Everyone knows the marilyn monroe being overweight is false. She was a UK8 (US4) and no more than a size 10 at her very largest (us6)

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article6044724.ece
  • suzycreamcheese
    but yeah, marilyn monroe wouldnt be able to be a catwalk model either. Too short for a start.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    This is just me being odd but I really hate the word curvy to describe a woman
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    316q1ld.jpg

probably one of the funniest things i've seen in a long time lol
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    way too chunky to be a model. Not way too chunky for everyday life.

i knew what you meant if it makes a difference lol

as sad as it is that "curvy" girls can't be runway models it's the truth. it's not right and having overly skinny models (which i find disgusting like any of you) work the runway isn't a good influence on kids/teens etc, but it's one of those "it is what it is" situations. plus size models are size 6+ or something like that. that's not plus size, but the fashion industry is it's own world.

i'm glad this girl won and made a statement, but it doesn't surprise me that she's not a super famous runway model for a top designer.

it sucks, but cest la vie ya know?

don't let an industry get to you (general you--not who i quoted you lol). i always remind myself that the fashion industry isn't (obviously) a good representation of how the majority of women are. like celebrities...my boyfriend always tells me "they're not real" because, let's be honest, part of the reason female celebrities become famous in the first place is because they're thin--good genetics. that's why athletes are my inspiration. they work for their bodies--not to say models don't, but be honest, how many time have you heard a like 0 model say "oh i love my fried chicken".. it's either bulls*** and they have an ED (which is a completely different conversation) or they're telling the truth and they are just naturally teensie tiny. i don't know about anyone else, but a) i don't want to be a size 0 and b) i'd rather look up to someone that is athletic and healthy than someone who kills themselves to be thin or has a naturally super sonic metabolism. it's all about reality folks.

on another note, the size 12 girl is gorgeous.

and that's my 2 cents
This discussion has been closed.