HELP i'm confused about BMR

Twylla
Twylla Posts: 51
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so i just took the BMR calculator on her (under tools) and it said it was 1533 calories but my current goal for calories is 1420 calories/day...does this mean I should be eating more? Or what? Please help I'm so confused. Is this why I'm not losing and I'm actually gaining?

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    curious too.
    bump:)
  • hmm... have you recently recalculated your daily goals?

Or... what activity level did you put in?
  • Twylla
    Twylla Posts: 51
    I have it at sedentary with 5-30min work outs a week.
  • SherryHam
    SherryHam Posts: 7
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body uses up if you're just sitting still and doing nothing all day. If you eat more calories than that and do no exercise to offset it, you gain wait. If you eat fewer calories than that and/or exercise, you lose weight. If you're only eating 113 calories less per day and doing little to no exercise, you're not going to lose very fast.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Your BMR is the number of calories your body uses up if you're just sitting still and doing nothing all day. If you eat more calories than that and do no exercise to offset it, you gain wait. If you eat fewer calories than that and/or exercise, you lose weight.

Not really. You are right...BMR is the calories would need if you were in a coma to maintain function in that state.

However, how many of us are just laying in bed all day, not moving at all?

If you add your daily activity level to get your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), this is your maintenance calories. This is the calorie amount you are thinking of "if you eat more calories than that and do no exercise to offset it, you gain wait".
  • SherryHam
    SherryHam Posts: 7
    You might be surprised at how little exercise it's possible to do! I'm living proof of that, at 50 pounds overweight. :laugh:
  • 12by311
    Ok so i just took the BMR calculator on her (under tools) and it said it was 1533 calories but my current goal for calories is 1420 calories/day...does this mean I should be eating more? Or what? Please help I'm so confused. Is this why I'm not losing and I'm actually gaining?

Some people suggest eating at least your BMR. If you have more weight to lose, you can stand a larger deficit.

If you have been eating within your calories and exercising for quite a while (like two weeks as opposed to 3 days) and have gained, maybe trying bumping your cals up a little and see what happens.
  • 12by311
    You might be surprised at how little exercise it's possible to do! I'm living proof of that, at 50 pounds overweight. :laugh:

Oh now, give yourself some credit. But it's not necessarily exercise added to the BMR, it's just daily activity level (what type of work you do, how active you are around home, chasing kids, etc)
This discussion has been closed.