Breakfast Protien Ideas

Options
jkestens63
jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
I like a good dose of protien for breakfast. I have a cup of skim milk every morning. Usually have an egg or tukey sausage with cereal or oatmeal. I want to get away from the sausage due to the sodium but don't want an egg every single day. Of note: I hate yogurt and haven't found a protien shake I like.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Nuts in oatmeal
    Protein powder in oatmeal (mixed in with berries, etc)
    Kashi GoLean cereal (the original, not the granola-y ones)
    Homemade hummus on english muffin or veggies
    Replace that bowl of cereal with a bowl of chickpeas or lentils
    ... Leftover supper meat from the night before?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals are high in protein and fiber, both filling. Do you like no yogurt at all? Have you tried Greek? I really like Chobani (black cherry and other flavors). Natural pb and low sugar preserves?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    - Different kind of eggs? Like hard boiled, fried, scrambled?
    - Nuts on your cereal (walnuts are super good, try pecans too)
    - Lox on a whole wheat bagel with just a tiny schmear of cream cheese
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Well, a suggestion for a protein shake I can make is Naturade total soy (if you haven't already tried it). It's the best shake I've found aside from the Curves brand (which is sooooooo good made with unsweetened chocolate soy milk). It mixes with water or milk.

I like raw almonds or cashews, or sometimes I'll do scrambled egg whites (or egg beaters) with veggies and eat it inside of a high protein/high fiber/low cal tortilla (the one I use is Xtreme Wellness by Ole) with a bit of cheese or without-depends on how I feel that day.

Grilled chicken breast with egg-I bet this would be good inside of a tortilla. Maybe I'll have to try it.

almond slices or slivers are really good in oatmeal-and you can make the oatmeal with milk instead of water to add even more protein.
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    I LOVE 'Pure Protein' bars! They are so good. 20 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar -- that's really hard to find! They're my addiction. LOL
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do you not want an egg every day for variety.. or bc of fat cholesterol?

- you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs to make different types of omelettes: veggie, etc.
    - tuna, chicken or turkey work well [not typically breakfast foods, but why not?
    - Kashi cereals [some said already]
    - there are recipes to bake with protein mixes [so you're not drinking it straight]
    - peanut butter on a high fiber english muffin

I'll be interested to see what ideas others have. I'm a protein-a-holic.

:)
  • cutsiebuttons
    cutsiebuttons Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Hungry Girl"s 300 recipes 300 calories or less cookbook? This has become one of my favorite fallback books to go to when I needed to get out of a rut or needed to mix it up a bit. There are so many great high protein breakfast ideas in there and lots of fun ideas for eggs so they aren't the same thing every morning. The recipes are quick and very simple to put together. :)
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I like a good dose of protien for breakfast. I have a cup of skim milk every morning. Usually have an egg or tukey sausage with cereal or oatmeal. I want to get away from the sausage due to the sodium but don't want an egg every single day. Of note: I hate yogurt and haven't found a protien shake I like.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have high blood pressure? Why do you want to get away from the turkey sausage? Some sodium at breakfast isn't going to kill you, especially if you exercise. You can also try looking at stores like Trader Joes that make lower sodium foods.