Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options
I've seen this question posted several times recently, so I thought I'd make a thread specifically with tips so others can refer to it later. After competing in triathlons, duathlons, and running races for over twenty years, I have learned a thing or two about having a good race and a bad race. I'm happy to share my experience with you first-timers to help you avoid any first-race logistic hangups.

First off, Congrats for signing up for your first race!!! If this is truly your first race, you may be both excited and nervous, maybe even afraid something catastrophic may happen. Rest assured, things will be just fine. Here are some tips to make that first race go a little smoother (other race veterans, please feel free to add to this list):

(3 TO 10) DAYS PRIOR TO RACE DAY:
- If you registered in advance find out if there will be a packet-pickup date/location prior to the race day. Picking up your bib and goodie-bag in advance is a big help if you are new. You can also chat with the race volunteers about any special pre-race instructions or just answer questions (parking, headphones allowed, aid stations, course description, number of runners, etc.).
- This is also the last chance to test out new equipment. You never want to try anything new on race day. The shorter races are more forgiving, but you don't want to be halfway into your first half-marathon to find out your new shoes hurt your feet or those gel packets make you nauseous. So practice with new gear well in advance of race day.
- If possible, it's a good idea to drive the race course (if applicable). Personally, I always like to know what's in store for me: where is that monster hill, where is the turn-around, how many rolling hills are in store, and so on. Knowing the course intricacies can help you pace yourself, strategise, and just make that race more rewarding.

(1 TO 3) DAYS PRIOR TO RACE DAY:
- (5k/ 10k) You really need not worry too much about planning an eating strategy to fuel up for a race this short. I would just make sure the 2 days prior to the race that you were drinking plenty of water and eating healthy.
- (10+ mile race) You may want to top off your glycogen stores. There is a strategy to doing this that involves the 3-4 days leading up to the race (NOT just eating a bunch of spaghetti the night before), combined with short sprints the day before the race. For brevity, I'm not going to go into detail here about that strategy. That can be found elsewhere on the web.

DAY BEFORE THE RACE:
- Avoid alcohol and greasy foods. Neither will treat you well on the race course. Stick to healthy foods.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Do some light stretching.
- There is some controversy about whether a day off is really necessary. So I'll just say since this is your first race, to take it easy the day before. An easy jog is fine, but I wouldn't recommend you trying to sneak in a hill run or LSD (long slow distance) run. Active rest is preferred.
- Lay out all of your gear for the race: shorts, socks, shoes, sunblock, glasses, hat, radio (if allowed), race bib (on race belt or pinned to your shirt), outer layer, HRM and strap, watch, water bottles, and so on. You get the idea. You don't want to try to get organized at 4:30 in the morning.
- If supplied, put your race timing chip on your shoe. Use the zip tie they provide so the volunteers can quickly cut it off at the finish line.
- Have your breakfast already planned.
- Plan to eat a dinner that won't tear up your belly the next day. This isn't the time to try out your mom's 5 alarm chili. You'll regret it during your run!
- Go to bed a little early if you're not used to getting up that early.
- It's normal to lay awake and fret about how things will unfold the next morning. Try to put it out of your mind, there is nothing you can do about it anyways.

RACE MORNING
- Stick to a breakfast that you've eaten before a training run in the past. Try to eat about 1.5 - 2 hours before the gun sounds.
- Start hydrating before you leave the house.
- Drinking coffee (caffeine) before the race can help trigger a bowel movement. It's better to get it over with before the race if possible. It is reported that caffeine can be a benefit prior to a race. (From what I've read in numerous reports). But don't do anything on race morning that you haven't already tested on a training day.
- Get dressed and get your gear loaded up. I like to bring a little ice chest with cold drinks for after the race.
- Try to get to the race site at least 30-60 minutes early for small races and even earlier if there are thousands! Not only will the parking be better, but the port-a-potty lines will be shorter (and cleaner). You may also need to check in/ register if you didn't do so in advance. You CAN'T get to the race too early, but you CAN get there too late.
- If you must hit the potty BRING YOUR OWN TP/ WET WIPES! Do not count on it being stocked. (lessons learned the hard way)

20 MINUTES TIL GUN:
- Go for an easy warm-up run. They say "the shorter the race, the longer the warm-up". You don't want to be running hard and have a leg cramp up. This also gives you the chance to clear your mind of the race chatter, and settle any nerves. 10 - 15 minutes is good for a 5K/10K.
- Hydrate a little more 10 minutes prior to gun.
- Seed yourself properly in the race corral. Some races put up signs indicating where the 6 minute-milers should be, 7 minute-milers, 8, 9 and so on. The idea is that they don't want the slower people getting run over by the faster people. If this is your first race and you don't plan on running 5-7 minute-miles, just move yourself to the back half of the pack even if there are no signs.
- Clear your watch/ HRM/ GPS. You want it ready to go once that gun goes off or when you cross the start line. You'll find in races with thousands of runners that it can take 5- 10 minutes just to get to the start line after the gun sounds.
- If headphones are allowed, this would be the time to get it going. Personally, I love the sound of a race and have never listened to music in a race. Plus, even if they are allowed, you may want to know when someone's trying to communicate with you (to pass you, tell you that you dropped something, police directing traffic, etc.). A race is a social happening, and creates it's own music; enjoy it's rhythms.

BANG!!! GUN SOUNDS:
- Your nerves will be heightened at this point, but will settle within the first couple of minutes of the run. It is vitally important that you NOT take off with the bunnies. Let them go. Stick to your own pace, and let the sprinters pass you. I have fallen into that trap during a few races, and found myself unknowingly running that first mile faster than I ever trained for, and unfortunately, paying the price later in the race (HR too high too soon). Stick to your pacing plan!
- It is normal to get elbowed and even de-shoed in the first few minutes. Don't take it personal; you can't go from standing packed like sardines to striding and swinging arms without getting bumped into. Pay attention to your surroundings!
- Depending on the size of the race, it may take a mile or more for things to spread out. Find an opening away from others, and stick yourself in it. There is something about other people huffing and puffing in your ear that can drive you crazy.
- If you have to stop FOR ANYTHING (untied shoe, cramp, walk break), pull off to the far side of the race course before stopping. The same thing goes for blowing snot-rockets and spitting. The person behind you will appreciate it!
- If it's a 5K, save a little in the tank for the last mile. (First mile is chaos, 2nd mile is for stabilizing, last mile is where you pick it up a little).
- If you are running parallel to a sidewalk, choose the road if possible. Sidewalks tend to have too many obstacles, and ups & downs to deal with.
- If you are in good running shape, during that last mile, pick a person 50 yards ahead of you and reel them in, and then do it again.

FINISH LINE
- Run through it. Don't stop at the line; you want to keep moving because there will be hoards of people right behind you, and you don't want to get run over by the two buddies sprinting it out.
- If you are using a race chip that you don't own, walk towards the volunteers so they can collect it.
- Congratulate yourself for completing your first official race!
- Spend 5 -10 minutes lightly stretching before you sit down. If you put your 'everything' into this race, you don't want to stiffen up or worse, cramp up.
- Enjoy the post-race food & festivities, chat with other runners, and relax; you've earned it.
- HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!!

Lastly, if you are a data-junkie like me, write down the details on the back of your race bib for future comparison (date, location, name of race, distance, finish time, overall place, age group place, gender place, average minute/ miles, and anything else you find significant). After collecting hoards of these, I just started putting them in a photo album.

I'm sure I missed a few things, so you race veterans please feel free to add your own personal tips to help our newbies out a little. I hope you first-timers find this useful to get you through your first race. You'll likely find it addicting, and immediately sign up for another. Good luck!
JR

Replies

• lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Very awesome, very comprehensive. Thanks!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    you bet. :smile:
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So cool very motivating to read. I can't wait until I'm in the higher mileage categories!
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What great practical advice - thanks for sharing! I am doing my first race on 9th July which is a 10k so these tips will come in handy I'm sure!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff!

A couple of my favorites: nothing new on race day (use your training runs to figure things out)

And of course my top three tips (meant for new marathoners especially, but applicable most anywhere):
    1) don't go out too fast
    2) don't go out too fast
    3) don't go out too fast
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    wow, looks like a lot of info, gotta bump for later...

Thanks!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    JR,

Thanks for posting this and for your advice on my 10k thread. It is this Saturday, and I am surprisingly not nervous. But then I have a personality that tends to go with the flow. Still, it is reassuring to know what to expect. Much appreciated!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, I'm about to sign up for my first race - a 12k - at the end of August. Part of me thinks I must be completely mad as I only started running in January, but the rest of me has decided to just give it a go!
    This info is really helpful, though I've got butterflies in my stomach just reading it. They are expecting over 30,000 people in the race I'm entering which is massive considering there are only one million or so in the whole city.

PS. This truly is my first race - at least since running 100m when I was about 10, and that's nearly 35 years ago!
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    thanks for teh info, good stuff
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    I forgot to add... BE SURE TO THANK THE VOLUNTEERS! Without them, you wouldn't be even having a "first" race.
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    Thanks so much, I'm about to sign up for my first race - a 12k - at the end of August. Part of me thinks I must be completely mad as I only started running in January, but the rest of me has decided to just give it a go!
    This info is really helpful, though I've got butterflies in my stomach just reading it. They are expecting over 30,000 people in the race I'm entering which is massive considering there are only one million or so in the whole city.

PS. This truly is my first race - at least since running 100m when I was about 10, and that's nearly 35 years ago!

30,000 people isn't a race, it's a major evacuation!!! LOL
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lots of info bump for later.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is tomorrow, thanks for the tips!
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    Bump
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Fantastic list. As a veteran of many 5Ks, your list is right on the money. The one thing I would add for newbies that I rarely see mentioned (but learned myself on a running site with tips for first timers) is that seasoned runners do not ever wear the actual race t-shirt on the day of the race (the exception being if they are associated with the group hosting the race). It's tradition or superstition, but you can always pick out the new runners because they are sporting the shirt that came with their packet :-) One reason may be that a lot of races give out a cotton t-shirt, and you really want to invest in a technical-fabric t-shirt to run in - the difference is really incredible, the fabric wicks away moisture, while cotton gets soggy and heavy. Some races do give out technical t-shirts, but the seasoned runners still won't wear the one for that race (they may wear an older one from another race).

The most important thing, though - have FUN!
  • Arizona_JR
    Options
    Fantastic list. As a veteran of many 5Ks, your list is right on the money. The one thing I would add for newbies that I rarely see mentioned (but learned myself on a running site with tips for first timers) is that seasoned runners do not ever wear the actual race t-shirt on the day of the race (the exception being if they are associated with the group hosting the race). It's tradition or superstition, but you can always pick out the new runners because they are sporting the shirt that came with their packet :-)

So true. Most of the veteran runners I know have their own "uniform" that they wear to every race; some without ever washing!!! YUCK!!!
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am about to start the couch to 5K plan, so I'm not a "runner" yet. But I noticed you're from AZ and just wanted to say hi. So, hi :tongue:
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BUMP!