Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options

Replies

• Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I am about to start the couch to 5K plan, so I'm not a "runner" yet. But I noticed you're from AZ and just wanted to say hi. So, hi :tongue:

"Hello" right back at ya! :-D
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's great advice! Thanks so much for taking the trouble to get all that out for beginners like me. I definitely didn't do about half of that during my first race, since it was a 5K fun run and all, but I'm hoping to work up to a 10K by mid next year and really want to do well. Will have to come back to this thread now and then for a refresher!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic...but I notice your GSD in your photo....does your shepherd run with you ever? If so, how old until you started with him/her? I've got a high energy one year old male GSD, but don't want to hurt his joints if he's still too young!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Totally off topic...but I notice your GSD in your photo....does your shepherd run with you ever? If so, how old until you started with him/her? I've got a high energy one year old male GSD, but don't want to hurt his joints if he's still too young!

I'll PM you.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love this and thank you for sharing! :happy:
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Great tips and funny writing too Thanks!. :smile: I just finished the C25K program and am going to wait until Oct 1 to run my first race...but am super excited already! Will certainly keep training in the meantime!!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for all the advice. My first 5k is Sept. 11th.
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    awesome advice thanks! My first race will be in a provincial park this fall.(yay Canadian parks!) I can't wait to see the scenery of the leaves changing, and hearing the race sounds mixed with nature! still deciding on 5 or 10 k :)
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information! I put in a search for pre race dinners and your thread was the first on the list...I've run 4 different 5k's but tomorrow, I'm running a 5 mile race..I actually ran the same course 2 weeks ago to "check it out" and to make sure I could even DO 5 miles (4.5 was my PB on distance)..anyhoo, I wasn't sure if I need to carb load or not for this extra distance. I'm sticking with my routine for my 5K's per your advice, also because I'm familiar and I know it's what works for me. Oh, and btw, I was able to run the 5 mile course WITHOUT stopping! I was so stoked! I ran it slow and steady so that's my plan for the morning! Have a great weekend!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Great list! You got me psyched!

Here is a little tip I learned two years ago that works so well, especially in the summer.

Hopefully we all know about "Body glides" and vaseline to put everywhere fabric rubs, to avoid chafing. But my young friend, who has placed first place women in many races, told me to put anti-persparant all over my feet, to prevent blisters. Works like a charm!!!!! On hot days, when we run harder than normal, etc. It works great! I also use it when I go hiking.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to compile this list! My first 5k is tomorrow and I'm psyched! :heart:
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    loved this.
    thank you.
    i'm running my first half marathon sunday! :) i'm excited but nervous as well.
    Thanks for the great tips.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    loved this.
    thank you.

Have a great time at your marathon. Where are you running it at?
  • sbcohn22
    sbcohn22 Posts: 7
    Options
    bump
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great info! I'm running my second race, and first 10k tomorrow!
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - I am running my first 5k tomorrow, and am so nervous. I'm so glad I know not to wear the race shirt, haha.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    loved this.
    thank you.

Have a great time at your marathon. Where are you running it at?

sorry a little late here, It was in Fairfield CT
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump. Good advice. :)