Protein after Cardio workout?

Options
I usually do a protein shake or a protein bar (minimum of 20g of protein) even after a Cardio session. Is this the right approach or should I be doing something else? Thanks!

Replies

• scim
    scim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to re-hydrate, the latest push is choclate milk believe it or not (water is number two). I find that a protein shake during a long hike keeps me going and energized, I swear by them.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a mix of protein and carbs after every workout. You don't store as much muscle glycogen because of cardio as you do because of strength training, but you do burn some because the process for burning fat requires the by-products of glycogen burning to be efficient. So, you need the carbs too in order to replenish what glycogen you have used. You also need the protein after cardio because cardio is more likely break down muscle for fuel (which it then converts to glycogen to burn and use those by-products to burn fat) then strength training, so you need the protein to replace any muscle that was used for fuel.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    I'd recommend a mix of protein and carbs after every workout. You don't store as much muscle glycogen because of cardio as you do because of strength training, but you do burn some because the process for burning fat requires the by-products of glycogen burning to be efficient. So, you need the carbs too in order to replenish what glycogen you have used. You also need the protein after cardio because cardio is more likely break down muscle for fuel (which it then converts to glycogen to burn and use those by-products to burn fat) then strength training, so you need the protein to replace any muscle that was used for fuel.

Wow great stuff! Thanks for the information, that really helps!