~ Greek Yogurt ~

Hello everyone~

I am curious to know how you all feel about Greek yogurt. Today is my second time trying it, and to me it has a weird, almost sour taste to it. I've tried adding granola, and honey, etc. Is it really better for you than other yogurts? For me it's like beer, a taste you have to acquire, and I'm having difficulties doing that. Hope you all have a great day!!! :smile:

Replies

• LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    I love it. I add Stevia to it to sweeten it, sometimes add SF strawberry syrup or SF strawberry jam - or fresh/frozen fruit if you have that available. I absolutely HATE regular yogurt now.....
    Hello everyone~

I am curious to know how you all feel about Greek yogurt. Today is my second time trying it, and to me it has a weird, almost sour taste to it. I've tried adding granola, and honey, etc. Is it really better for you than other yogurts? For me it's like beer, a taste you have to acquire, and I'm having difficulties doing that. Hope you all have a great day!!! :smile:
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    I absolutely love it! Keep adding granola to it.:glasses:
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    I might be a little older than some of you, but I remember when yogurt first became popular in the 70's - and it was tangy/sour. And frozen yogurt had that nice tangy edge to it as well. Then, like all things, they started to "americanize" it to make it more appealing to our palates & poured tons of sugar into it. And now you have coconut cream pie yogurt. And if you go to TCBY for frozen yogurt - it tastes just like soft-serve ice cream. The tang is gone.

In order to get the yogurt or frozen yogurt I liked, I had to go overseas or to Canada.

Now I'm so thrilled that greek yogurt is popular - it has that tangy sourness that I love and missed for over 30 years! And I just found a Yoz frozen yogurt place near me that has the tangy frozen yogurt too - low calorie versions as well. So I love it. Add a spoonful of allfruit or jam or something.
  • mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Thanks! :smile:
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    I am also new to Greek yogurt. I love Stonyfield Farms organic plain yogurt, but when I tried Cabot Greek I thought it tasted like mayonnaise. HOWEVER, I just tried it this morning with honey and cinnamon and it was quite good. I also put it into a bland pasta dish I made yesterday and it made it into a decent cold pasta salad. It seems there are a lot of people who like either Fage or Chobani so I will try those brands, eventually.
  • Tyra1976
    Tyra1976 Posts: 21
    I love, love, love Chobani greek yogurt. Some flavors are more sweet than others. I personally love the dark cherry and the pomegranite flavors.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Well for me I use to HATE Yogurt and could only stomach eating lemon flavor on very rare occasions, Since
    I found out about Greek Yogurt I started off trying the Kroger brand called Carb Masters and the only way I could eat
    that was if i added a pack of stevia. So I found out about Chobani and ecided to try it and I am now hooked on it and
    eat 1 every morning as a morning snack. My favorite is the pomegranate and I have tried the strawberry and pineapple but
    I prefer the pomegranate. So for me this was huge since i hated yogurt and now i eat one everyday. Were I live it costs
    $1.19 for a 6oz cup and i have only been able to fine it at Kroger
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I've tried several brands of greek yogurt-stoneyfield was good, but then I tried Chobani and fell in LOVE!!! I've tried all their flavored ones and the only one I didn't care for was the lemon one. I use the Plain one for making dips, and sauces (they have great recipes on their website). Be warned the plain one is tangy and reminds me of sour cream. If you want something sweeter stick with their fruit ones.