Am I losing weight too fast?

mikeandfox
mikeandfox Posts: 59
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I started at 327 lbs. on April 1st, and am now 286 lbs. as of today.

That's a drop of 41 lbs in 78 days.

That is about 0.5 lb. a day on average. The biggest loss at the beginning, but slowing tapering off.

I am eating regularly, and I admit, I could get more fruits and veggies in my diet. I take a multivitamin, eat whole grain and lean meats. So I am not on a starvation diet.

I have heard if you lose weight too fast that it can cause a multitude of health issues. So my question is, am I losing too fast?

For more information, I have been keeping track of everything. Here is the Google Spreadsheet I have been using.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alxn-KxRuRUHdFEyWGp0dlI3V285TGFIZ0FHOHhnVEE&hl=en_US&authkey=CPOorp4G

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    I started in March and have dropped 41 pounds as of today and I feel just fine. For people starting out in the 300's I imagine we may drop the first part of the weight sort of quickly because we have so much to lose. Believe me it will slow down. I lost like the first 15 in two weeks and was told it was perfectly normal. Don't worry! And congrats on the loss.
  • If you are eating enough calories and you are eating healthy, i think you should be fine! Some people lose weight faster than others.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    The heavier you are, the faster you'll drop weight because your burn rate will be significantly higher (because, well, it takes so much more energy for your body to function, with the extra weight). As you lose more and more weight, your burn rate will drop along with it, so over time, it'll level out with your eating.

As long as you are eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day in healthy foods, with exercise, you should be fine.

But, if you have any real health concerns, consult your doctor.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    When you have that much to lose it's not uncommon to lose that fast.

Just know that it will gradually slow down and don't get frustrated when 3-5 pounds a week turns into 1 - 2 pounds a week or if you gain a bit every once in while.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Nah - those of us who have more to lose do so very rapidly at the beginning. It will taper off and eventually, we'll get just as frustrated as everyone else when we're seeing smaller losses or no loss at all :) Heh. It all averages out.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    WOW well done on ur loss! Ur doing great! Dont worry as of now! It will come off quickly to begin with and it will slow down and get harder.

Can I just be cheeky and ask would u give me a copy of ur SS? xxx
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Since you started at such a high weight, you are probably fine. It is those who have less fat to lose that should not try to lose weight quickly. I don't know how many calories you are eating in a day, but know that as your weight drops your body will not be able to tolerate as large a deficit and weight loss will be slower.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    I don't think so. You said it was slowing down, which is normal. Rapid weight loss can lead to gallbladder issues. If you are feeling good, and eating right, you should be fine. If you are worried, contact your doctor, get a physical and let him or her know what you are doing.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Everyones bodies are different, I started on January 13th and have lost 109 lbs, as long as your energy level remains constant and consistent, I think you should be alright. If you a month without losing I would re evaluate your caloric intake and exercise. I lose consistently between 3.6 and 5.5 lbs a week. Usually are 4.4 lbs per week after my initial week, when I lost 12 lbs.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    It appears as though you're eating as much as you need to pretty much everyday, as stated. The larger the person the more weight you're likely to lose in a week. All relative to size. From your records you seem to be losing at a good pace though
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    I think you're ok, especially since you're saying you are tapering off. I think the more you have to lose, the faster it will come off, at least at the beginning. Remember, as your weight goes down, your caloric intake needs will decrease and your effort to burn more calories will need to increase, meaning, the same exercise won't burn as much calories, so as long as you keep these things in mind, you should be fine. Great job, BTW!
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    It sounds like you are doing good, but if you are worried about health issues by losing weight too fast i recomend making an appointmet with a Doctor, is better to be safe =)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    First, Great job on your loss! and second, some people lose weight faster than others...I lose between 1-3 pounds a week and it keeps coming off :bigsmile:
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    105 in 6 months this way! i gained some of that back of course, hence the ticker... but i think ur doing just fine. just dont get used to it. bc it eventually stops or at least slows down. when ur used to seeing big numbers like that it can get frusterating!
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    You need to burn more calories then you take in which means to eat right and in your calorie goal and workout to get/stay healthy. But fat needs some kindling to get started burning off, so be sure you are eating your calories so that you don't lose muscle, bone or water. (that is what can be damaging to your health)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Please speak to your Doctor ASAP. If you have a lot to lose it's best to use MFP and do it under a doctor's supervision. I heard if you have under a certain amount to lose than 1-2 lbs per week is suggested to avoid damaging your body and to keep it off for good. Call your Doctor and just schedule an appointment to talk to them they can also refer you out to an expert in weight loss and nutrition. Best to be in professional hands with any type of extreme loss. The contestants on Biggest Loser each have an entire medical team!
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    hey, good for you!!!! it's good that you're questioning it... to me, it means you're in it for the long run... and not just trying to drop lbs as fast as you can just to have it put back on!!!

congrats!!! you're doing a great job!!!
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    ive lost 44lbs since march 1 i feel fine. the only issues im having is my excess skin..but im hoping with the mosturizer and toning im going to be starting it will pull back in.

Congratulations on getting this far!!
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    also, i have gone to the dr and she loves this site! she has given me her blessing and is totally awed by my loss to date!
  • pmusholt
    pmusholt Posts: 22 Member
    No you are not, your at a highter weight and as long as you stay between 1200 an 1500 callories a day you should be alright. Its common that you lose 2 pounds a week. If you have any questions or start to feel bad see your doctor. But keep up the good work your doing great:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.