"Starvation mode" and metabolism

Options
I'm new to MFP, and I see the term "Starvation mode" floating around a lot. I'm kind of worried that I might fall under the category of people who go into "starvation mode," although for the most part, I don't know what to think about it, so I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable, experienced people might explain a few things I'm wondering about.

I know when your body goes into starvation mode, it slows down your metabolism - but my question is this: how do you know what balance to strike in terms of how much you eat? What I mean is, how can you make sure that you eat just enough so that your metabolism is kicking in strong, but not enough so that you start GAINING weight from the excess food? Is it just through trial and error? Also, does the amount of food you should eat to keep this perfect medium ever change, or does it stay the same, for the most part?

I'm 25 years old female, Asian, 5 feet tall, 120 pounds, and I'm trying to lose at least 20 pounds. I've been trying to keep my calorie intake at roughly 1000 calories a day (without factoring in exercise), although I usually go over by 100-200. I don't want to go into starvation mode, but I do want to lose weight, and I'm afraid to eat more because I don't want the weight-loss process to slow down. The whole "Eat more to lose more" concept is just so counter-intuitive to me.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    At your size I think 1000 Net may be okay, but make sure you eat back what you burn from exercise.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Here's a post I wrote a while ago that explains how food increases your metabolism. Please message me with any questions!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • AlwaysLightlyOver
    Options
    Thank you for the link! The article was quite helpful.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    Starvation mode is a MYTH!!!!! (unless you dont eat for days on end, even then you will lose weight but not in a healthy way). Your body will NOT go into starvation mode if you restrict your calories. However if you are not getting the right nutrients (vitamins, minerals, proteins) your body will continue to have cravings and drive you crazy. The goal in order to lose weight is to eat a high protein diet, avoid ANY processed food esp carbs and sugar and eat a large variety of fruits and veggies 4-5 times per day. I also fast once a week to rev my metabolism and increase my insulin sensitivity which does wonders and I never hit a "dead" point where my body gets used to the calories I eat. Hope that helps.
  • Nic0522
    Nic0522 Posts: 38
    Options
    Starvation mode is a MYTH!!!!! (unless you dont eat for days on end, even then you will lose weight but not in a healthy way). Your body will NOT go into starvation mode if you restrict your calories. However if you are not getting the right nutrients (vitamins, minerals, proteins) your body will continue to have cravings and drive you crazy. The goal in order to lose weight is to eat a high protein diet, avoid ANY processed food esp carbs and sugar and eat a large variety of fruits and veggies 4-5 times per day. I also fast once a week to rev my metabolism and increase my insulin sensitivity which does wonders and I never hit a "dead" point where my body gets used to the calories I eat. Hope that helps.

I try to eat like this to lose weight too & it's been working (yay!) I'm curious about fasting - do you do it for an entire day???
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    I do it for a whole day :) Its really easy once you have done it a few times!! BUT the key is to do it the same day every week and choose a day that you can stick to. I usually do saturday because I can keep myself busy and out of the house not around food :) I also take activated charcoal on those days to cleanse my intestines! Make sure not to cheat and drink anything but water especially caffinated stuff because it will make you hungry! The days I fast I feel wonderful the next day. Sometimes I change the day though say if there is an event or holiday. Like for my birthday I wanted to eat out and have dessert and fasted the next day to cleanse out any toxins and excess junk :)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You're new... after this post you're going to learn real quick that this is a controversial topic... LOL

edit: apparrently "flaming" was the wrong word of choice haha
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Fact or Fiction...You be the judge. See Article and I have no stong opinion on it. I just do what works for me.
    And Rckt82 is right on the money about this being a flaming topic. Welcome aboard the "I am right, you are wrong" train...lol.

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/the-truth-about-starvation-mode-fast-metabolisms-983959.html#axzz1PYmcwBZd
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It really is a flaming topic.