Crunches vs Cardio

I have amazing abs-I really do. They're just covered in layers of fat...But when I press through all that fat, I can feel them...Rock hard-Nice!

My husband and I have this debate going on about how to get a flat stomach and lose fat around the middle. I say that I just need to do cardio to get rid of the fat and then my abs will be visible. My husband is convinced that I need to start doing more crunches in order for me to get a nice, trim tummy.

But won't crunches just build up the muscle but not do anything about the fat covering them? What should I do to get some rockin' abs?? More cardio, or more crunches??

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    I have amazing abs-I really do. They're just covered in layers of fat...But when I press through all that fat, I can feel them...Rock hard-Nice!

My husband and I have this debate going on about how to get a flat stomach and lose fat around the middle. I say that I just need to do cardio to get rid of the fat and then my abs will be visible. My husband is convinced that I need to start doing more crunches in order for me to get a nice, trim tummy.

But won't crunches just build up the muscle but not do anything about the fat covering them? What should I do to get some rockin' abs?? More cardio, or more crunches??
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    According to one trainer I worked with...if you do cardio and you are a pear, you will just be a smaller pear. If you do strength training, you can actually alter how you are shaped. So the answer is both.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    It's going to be a combination of:
    Strength training (i.e. core work)
    Cardio
    Nutrition

Without those three things all working together there's less chance of getting a six pack ;)
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    ...if you do cardio and you are a pear, you will just be a smaller pear. If you do strength training, you can actually alter how you are shaped
    That's both yes and no. If you are a pear you'll likely remain a pear (at least, if that pear shape is due to muscle and bone structure), but you can become a really fit and trip pear. :wink:
    I know I'll never totally lose my pear shape simply because I don't have much on top, therefore my hips are always going to be a bit wider than my upper body... and I'm fine with that.
    The key is shaping up what you've got. Biology is more than simply where fat is stored.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    I read this in a an article somewhere (sorry I don't remember where) but I copied it into my journal for that day to remind me.

Spot training" is a myth. You will not be able to target lower stomach fat (or fat anywhere) with specific exercises. If you have fat on your stomach, the only way to lose it and expose the abdominal muscles underneath is to lose weight. The best exercises to burn calories are aerobic and cardiovascular. In addition, do NOT ignore weight training. Muscle burns calories 24 hours a day.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    :laugh: You are so funny...I know my abs are ripped too-underneath the fat! :laugh:

You are correct. Cardio burns fat, and you abs muscles will become more visible once you burn the fat. Unfortunately, one can not "spot reduce." :ohwell:

To appease the hubby, you can say, yes, one does need to do crunches to define the abs-only the defination is made visible via cardio.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    I read this in a an article somewhere (sorry I don't remember where) but I copied it into my journal for that day to remind me.

Spot training" is a myth. You will not be able to target lower stomach fat (or fat anywhere) with specific exercises. If you have fat on your stomach, the only way to lose it and expose the abdominal muscles underneath is to lose weight. The best exercises to burn calories are aerobic and cardiovascular. In addition, do NOT ignore weight training. Muscle burns calories 24 hours a day.

It's true...we lose weight all over, right? Of course the areas where we are genetically prone to carry fat--abdomen for some people, hips for another-are the areas that we notice last. It was explained to me once that we lose weight in "sheets", so the more fat-prone areas are the last to go, or at least diminish. Does that make sense? Doesn't seem fair, does it? :huh:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    We are all "ripped" underneath our layers of fat, right? I am a pear, 100%. Therefore, when I am slim, I have a nice trim middle. I have friends who are apples, who when at the exact same weight as me, have gorgeous fat free legs, yet a little chub on their middle (and my rear always resembles Kim Kardashian - just my genetic make up!).

I think a combo of both will work for the exact reasons you have pointed out - you need to lose fat in order to "reveal" your abs, but having those muscles active and strong will help to hold up the frame, even though it might be covered in some fat.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    BOTH!

Burning off the fat with Cardio will make the muscles more apparent, but abdominal work outs will build up more muscle which will burn a lot of fat for you and will make it so you have to lose less fat to be able to see the muscle!
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Neither.

Unfortunately - the reality is that fabulous abs are made 90% in the kitchen. It's what you eat that matters more than anything. Sugar, processed foods and other stuff all contribute to fluffy tummy syndrome, even if you are lean to start.

That being said, if there is "fluff" over those fine muscles, then finding the combo of cardio and weight work that works for you is your best bet. Cardio is great for burning fat, but adding lean muscle is also helps.

Honestly, though, cardio would be better than mindless working your abs every day for long periods of time will do. I also encourage you to think more in terms of "Core" than abs as a true core workout will work your back, obliques, stomach, etc. and to really have a sound foundation and to help avoid injury, you need to have your entire core strong, not just your abs.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I still vote for crunches/core work! Hubby and I took on the crunch challenge here on MFP back in March, and my abs improved GREATLY!!! (we did the 400 per night of any crunch - reverse, oblique, etc).

I've had two babies in less than two years, and was over 200lbs the day I delivered (both times) and then dropped weight back almost 60 lbs from that weight, and my abs are pretty firm...

Of course diet and fat burning are just as important, but don't the crunches just make you feel good!?

Just something that worked for me! Keep at it girl! Plus a strong core helps your posture which improves the appearance!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Both

Just a thought, when I'm training I only train a set of muscles every other day, shoulders one day abs the next and so on. Obviously some muscles will end up in both groups, but if you focus on a specific group is what I'm talking about. It gives them chance to recover and get ready for another work out later on. Ab work outs every day will not give you extra benefits.

simon