Healthy Fast Food?

Options
Hello friends.. Im actually on vacation and unable to prepare my own meals like I am used to because the hotel that I stay in do not have a kitchen. My question is:

Are there any suggestions on foods I can eat that can be consider "on the go" or "fast food" but healthy? I tried the subways and the quiznos as an option, but I'm just looking for more types of stores that can actually have meals prepared that are very low in calories. Keep in mind I am on vacation so I am looking for somewhat popular food stores in the LA area.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Go for grilled chicken breast burgers with now sauce. Check out the calorie charts of course. they all should have one available now a days.
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Chili. Put it on a plain baked potato.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Qdoba's taco salads without the shell are actually pretty good. The Mango Salad is one of my favorites!

Taco Bell, Fresco style options are good too.

Otherwise I try to stick with salads at fast food restaurants I'm not familiar with and skip the dressing.

If you search in the database a lot of people have fast food options in already and most places have websites with info too.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Taco bell, crunchy fresco tacos. Actually they have a mini diet menu and it's pretty good.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am from LA:

Healthiest Fast food type options:

Subway- just w/light or no mayo & pack on the veggies on something like Turkey. But its high in sodium so drink lots of H20!
    Wendys- Small chili w/no cheese and/or 6 piece chicken nuggets
    Chipotle- Burrito Bowl w/chicken or barbacoa, just ask for less rice & get it w/no cheese & sour cream. Again drink lots of water!
    El Pollo Loco- Skinless Chicken w/their veggies side or corn side
    Thai food places (all over LA) - their tom yum soup or glass noodle salad

& most salads at fast food place, just add your own dressing, are ok!
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Carl's Jr. has a turkey burger now that is really good and under 500 cals (and its huge). Taco Bell, tacos or burritos fresco style (pico de gallo instead of cheese).

Panera Bread is SUPER good and fast but not drive thru.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    A lot of the "healthy" options in fast food are PACKED with sodium. So when it's the only option just make sure you are drinking a ton of water a long with it to help keep you from gaining water weight.

And I don't know if there are Hardee's on that side of the country but they just came out with a few turkey burgers under 500 calories. Just make sure you ask for them well done. The first time I tried it I didn't realize it wasn't cooked all the way and I got soooooo sick.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You said you are in LA? How about trying out some food trucks? Some have really good and healthy food.
    Here is a link I found: http://roaminghunger.com/la
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Convenience stores will offer lower calorie options such as string cheese, crackers and granola bars. Subway and Quiznos can actually be as unhealthy as burger joints due to portion size, cheese and condiments. If you do hit standard fast food restaurants, try to share a meal or order from the kids menu. Since you're in LA, you might want to check out In N Out. A half order of their fries has about 200 calories and you get a lot. Plus they're made in house from real potatoes so there are no chemicals or preservatives. You can also get their burgers plain or protein style to save calories and they use only fresh meat, not frozen. Rubio's and Chipotle offer some healthier Mexican options as well. Enjoy your trip!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust fast food salads, some can have more calories than the burgers! The greatest guide to fast food and eating out I have ever found is called Eat This, Not That. It's a book series and they have a website with a ton of great information.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/node/74779 Here's an article about the worst restaurant salads in America
  • koondoggie_99
    Options
    I do fajitas..small sirloins aren't too bad as far as calories..also shrimp or fish is a good choice as long as its not fried! I ONLY eat half of anything I get when I am out to eat..seperate it before you start!! Enjoy your vacation!! =)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Chili. Put it on a plain baked potato.

mmm yes! Ive eaten the chili plenty of times too :bigsmile:

Also they have a new berry chicken salad thats delish!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Jason's Deli! Great options and amazing salad bars.

*edit! I just realized that you might be talking about Los Angeles not Louisiana...I'm from Texas...My bad! hahaha If it's Los Angeles, there are bound to be a million places that you can eat healthily. Have fun!!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I looked up Taco Bell's Fresco menu. It's about 10 calories difference for some of the items. It's a fancier name and probably lower fat beans or something, and not that great in my opinion.

However, Mexican is really easy to make healthy. For example, Chipotle (in my area, at least) is now offering brown rice. So I get a bowl with brown rice, black beans, veggies, salsa, and guacamole and I'm in for a full meal (at least, sometimes 2 if I save 1/2) for under 500 calories.

Any drive thru places, you will want to go with a salad. Remember, even their "grilled chicken" is probably frozen, preserved, and microwaved. It is of course a better option than the burgers or anything fried, but it will have tons of sodium so skip the diet soda and get water instead. Use 1/2 the dressing they give you and skip the croutons and crunchy strips.

Wherever you go, remember that just eating less of whatever you choose is a good way to cut back. Get a kid meal or only eat 1/2 of an adult sized meal. Skip sugary drinks (even juice) and opt for water or unsweetened iced tea. Try healthier sides and try to stay away from fried foods. And remember that a meal or two of less than perfection isn't going to kill anyone, enjoying what you eat is very important and eating "good for you" food that is not tasty or satisfying is only going to lead to binges and more "mess ups."

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    eat your burgers or sandwiches with out the bun!! I always find when I am stuck eating fast foods, not eat the 'bread' part of it makes a huge difference.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I know you are on vacation but have you looked at the grocery stores in the area? I have no idea what things look like over there as far as prepared foods in grocery stores but here in Florida we have Whole Foods, Publix Greenwise, etc. You still have to be careful with your choices but they offer good food. I like to get some of the BBQ chicken (small portion) and then a large salad from the salad buffet. You could also buy some healthy snacks (granola bars, fruit, etc.), bring them back to the hotel room and then bring a single serving with you when you go out. Cheaper than buying the snacks at a convenience store. Enjoy your vacation.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, if you want low calories, get the bowl, skip the rice, sour cream, cheese and guac. But really you can all those for around 750 cals, in the bowl form. I normally get this with all the above, and make two meals out of it.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr. has a turkey burger now that is really good and under 500 cals (and its huge). Taco Bell, tacos or burritos fresco style (pico de gallo instead of cheese).

Panera Bread is SUPER good and fast but not drive thru.
    \

Panera is not healthy I used to work there!! You should see the nutrition facts.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My fav is the apple chicken pecan half salad from Wendy's filling and yummy!
  • fuminator18
    fuminator18 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    subyway might be the safest.