Cookingn low cal AND high cal at the same time....

Spazbat
Spazbat Posts: 2 Member
My husband is a triathete and is tall and skinny, he needs healthy calories, but lots of them. I work out as well, but don't need nearly the cals he does. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas on how to create meals and snacks for this situation? I tend to bake healthy high cal snacks for him...but this usually backfires as I love baked goods...

Recipes? Meal ideas?

Replies

• CaelaXO
    CaelaXO Posts: 44 Member
    Id be interested in learning some new recipes, bc Im in the same boat. I have two children (ages 1 and 6) who need extra calories. I have to add butter and cheese to everything I make for them (after i take out my portion). Gets to be hectic, when Im trying to eat well!
  • Try having avocado, cheeses, high cal meats (ie steak) as optional additions for him, meanwhile, you can have your lean chicken and avocado-less salads if you need to. My fiance has 100 cal thin-breads (2 slices) that he adds nut butters to so he can get his calories in. Also, full fat cottage cheese is another option. I made a big vat of turkey chili last weekend (which is almost gone), but I can take 8 oz + salad for lunch, and he takes 10-16 oz + other stuff. We both get our calories that we need, but it doesn't cause too much extra cooking time.

Ask him what he wants to eat ...you may just have to make 2 different stock piles of meal components for you two. That's what we do :) You should see our fridge though... !!!
  • i have this exact dilemma all the time! my husband's metabolism is through the roof, and i'm always watching my calories. i've learned some tricks, but i'm sure you know them, too. i sneak extra cheese, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and breads and pasta onto his plate, while i always pass on those things for me. he always gets full fat dressings and mayo on salads and sandwiches, while i get the light or reduced fat versions. i buy whole milk for him, and use that in cooking his portions whenever possible. it's really a game for me to see if i can give us around a 400 calorie difference at dinner time, which is the only meal i can control for him. i try to make sure he brings tons of snacks with him to work and has a solid breakfast so that the burden doesn't all fall on the dinner to get the calories he needs. i really try to make sure that the extras i'm giving him are nutrient dense calories, not just empty sugar or fat. it's a good thing he likes to snack on almonds and walnuts, too.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Make similar things but add nuts, dressings, and other healthy fats like avocado, olive oil to his.

Sprinkle on some extra cheese on his meals

Add the extra chop, or chicken breast, or sausage to his. Keep the fat on his meat instead of trimming it.

How about smoothies as snacks? You can pack some cals in there by making a banana smoothie with full fat yoghurt, peanut butter and full fat milk.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I would think you could eat the same things only he could eat more- both a higher quantity and more often- so sneaking in snacks when you would pass on them. It's the same thing I do from day to day based on my exercise. My meals rarely change, but if I've biked 40 miles or ran 10 I just eat more snacks (and different snacks) than I would otherwise.

HTH.