Is 1200 calories enough for me?

Options
ssc0303
ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
Hi all!! I am looking to lose about 60 lbs. I am 22 years old, 5'5, and 214 lbs. MFP currently has me at 1200 calories based on my sedentary lifestyle (over the past month or so I've been more active) and my goal to lose 2 lbs per week. Of course on days that I exercise I eat a little more because I eat back most of my exercise calories but If I don't exercise (like on the weekends which are my days of rest) all I have is 1200 calories....I don't think I can manage that. What do you all think? Should I be eating more calories? If so how many? I appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    change your setting to 1 lb/week and you will have more calories allotted to you. I just started 3 weeks ago, setting for 1 pound/week. I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks.
  • MissDwood
    MissDwood Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1350 calories but I'm 5'9" and 220 lbs. Trying to get down to 155. I would say that on days you are not exercising try to eat cleaner. For example lean meats, fruits, vegetables and fiber! Sometimes instead of eating mashed potatoes I'll eat another chicken Breast and I'll stay Fuller a lot longer!! Just make those days full of filling foods :) hope this helps
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say, everyone's bodies are quite different. I am on the 1200 calorie diet for my last 20 lbs as well and some days it seems really easy and then some days, like days I want to have bread, it is REALLY hard to stay below 1200. If you really want to lose 2 lbs a week, MFP has calculated that for you and I'd try to stay at 1200. Maybe on the weekends, instead of doing some hardcore exercise you can allow yourself a 40 min walk and get a few extra calories to help you make it through.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to 1lb per week. That will give you more flexibility to balance your goals.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you are creative in your diary you can definitley fit quite a bit of food into 1200 calories if you are really set on staying with your MFP goals. When I first started out I went.. Thats all the calories I get? BUT because the calories are coming from more nutrient rich, healthier foods I am more than satiisfied and eating quite a bit. I have only gone over once on my calorie goals and I have been here for 80 days already.. I have lost a total of 73 pounds..maybe a lil less as I fell off the wagon for a week when my boyfriend first moved down.. but Im back on the grind now and it was easy to get back on because as I said I eat well! I'm a big girl and can't eat like a bird..lol

heres my menu for the day and it all comes in at under 1200 calories.. so take a look see what ya think and also feel free to add me if you like! :)

http//www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/christina0089
  • lorischlitz
    Options
    Personally, I like to eat a little less than 1,200 calories because i want to lose weight fast but, it depends on how much exercise you're getting.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1.5 pounds per week. Nothing wrong with lowering the weight loss rate a little bit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a little more calories, if only for the psychological effect. If you're set to 1300 and eat 1205, you're under. If you're set to 1200 and you eat 1205, you're over and have to see those glaring red numbers making you feel like you screwed up. :laugh:

I still think 80% of this is the battle in our heads. When we feel like we're doing good, we're going to continue. If we feel like we failed, we're gonna want to quit. In reality, 100 calories a day isn't going to make that much of a difference. But it might make you feel like you're doing better if you give yourself some wiggle room.

And honestly, I don't know how anyone can be satisfied on a straight 1200 on rest days.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 1200 calories a week also, because I want to lose 2lbs per week. If you rather have more calories to play with you can set your goal to lose 1lbs per week. I have my activity level set as sedentary because I work in a office as well. 1200 calories may not seem like a lot cause they didn't to me when I first started, but now more often then not I have trouble reaching the 1200 your body will adjust to eating fewer calories if you stick with it long enough. But if you feel like your starving I would suggest you up your calories a bit until your body gets use to less food.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sounds right! I'm 5'6" and 226lbs and right now I get 1240. Hard to hit? Yes. Losing weight? Yes. :happy:
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm at 1200 calories a day too and I eat out this whole week! I know its bad but didnt get a chance to prepare or shop at all. On days when I can't exercise like I really want I do quick walks or dance to one of my favorite cd's while cleaning. You get a great workout without even realising and you can log that to allow for my calories that day.