So Demoralized

Options
I'm on the verge of just quitting all together. I have been doing this dieting thing for almost two months, and would consider it a lifestyle change. Though in the two months I haven't even lost ten pounds yet. I started at 155 and lost all the weight that I have lost to date was in the first two weeks. Then I joined MFP. I eat right for the most part, and limit my "bad days" to one a week and actually my bad days aren't even that bad. I had to take some work out time off for an injury to my right leg but I'm back on it. I'm doing the 30 Day shred video, but it really isn't that hard to me. My upper body need the work, so the strength parts kind of kick my butt, but the cardio is easy. Granted I've only done the video twice, Monday and Wednesday, and worked out on the elliptical Tuesday and Thursday... and I know it's too soon to see any results in just this week... but man am I frustrated. This morning I was 147.8 and I'm really starting to feel like what is the point. .

Replies

• shamandalie
    Options
    I tell myself that if I give up I'm likely to put all the weight I did lose right back on. That keeps me going :)
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. I have not lost weight yet and have been sticking to my calorie goals and doing tons of cardio + I'm on day 19 of the 30DS. All I can ask is this? Do you feel better? Can you feel your body starting to change? Do you have a healthier relationship with food?

I can answer yes to all of these questions, and I have lost a total of 3.5 inches in less than a month on the shred. Remember that the scale is not the only victory field, it's how you feel, toning, and a better outlook with food that can really make the difference.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're already quite small. You can't expect to lose any more than one pound a week at your size... so you're way ahead of the bell curve!

If your calorie restriction is set to lose two pounds a week, bump it up to one pound. If you're feeling burned out, you're probably not eating enough. And when you're not eating enough, your body doesn't want to give up the pounds.

Hang in there. You're doing great!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You have to stick with it. I started at 280 and quickly dropped 20 lbs. Then I went into a 2 month plateau and then quickly dropped another 19 lbs! I'm still in a slump. Only a little bit of weight loss in 2 months. A pound during the whole time. You've got to make your workouts more intense and maybe change up on your cal intake. Eat a lil bit more for a few days then get back into your routine. Our bodies get use to the same routine. I try to do different exercises everyday so my body doesn't get use to the ones I'm doing. Don't forget to strength train either. When you build muscles it boosts your metabolism and you will burn fat! Whatever you do "DON'T GIVE UP!" If nothing else you probably feel better with your lifestyle change. That's worth the work in itself to me!

I'm rooting for you!!!! YOU GO GIRL!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

1) You don't have that much weight to lose, so it wouldn't be that realistic to expect to lose 10 lbs in 2 months. I think shooting for half a pound per week would be reasonable.
    2) It's good that the cardio is easy! Keep doing the strength stuff!
    3) You might not be eating enough (see my first point). If you're not giving your body enough fuel, it won't be as willing to burn fat. Or, depending on your settings, you might be eating too much. It's hard to tell when you dont' have your diary open and you're not offering any information about what you're eating.

Don't get discouraged. What you're doing isn't working, but that doesn't mean that YOU are failing. It just means you need to try something else. You'll get it worked out. Hang in there!
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Please do not get frustrated and quit. This is a long journey, and maybe you just haven't found the right exercise. I have been doing an hour to 2hours of water aerobics 5 days a week for 2weeks now, and I haven't lost, but I do feel stronger, and friends are noticing a difference in shape. Try adding a little weight training, and drink more water. Just whatever you do, don't give up!
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes that long for a body to start shedding. Don't quit now! Even if you aren't seeing results yet, know that you're making your body healthy which is really the most important thing after all. Good luck and don't quit!
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    On your profile you say you want to focus less on the scale and more on you. This seems so sensible given your back-story and how much work you've put into your body :smile:

If you do want to think for a few minutes about the scale there are several reasons why you might only have seen a 10lb loss in two months. This is an incredible loss by the way - it's nearly a pound a week. You are a 'normal' BMI at 5'7 and a 147 so weight loss is going to be slow. 1lb a week - that's great going!

Anyway, things from your post that might slow your weight loss:

One bad day a week
    Time out for an injury
    Exercising at an intensity that isn't doing it for you since you are already super fit and a healthy weight.

P.S> it's normal to put on weight as you get older. If you really feel that your weight gain isn't natural and you really cant shift it, then a visit to your doctor might clear up whether there is a medical reason for it.

Good luck on your journey, and take care!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. I was in the 150 range also, and I lost ten and am now 147. I've been stuck there for months an finally just accepted it. But it seems like you don't want to accept it, so....

-Bump up your workouts. Kick your own @$$...do p90x. Do anything that is of higher intensity than normal.
    -Zig zag your calories. This works for a lot of people. If you search the forums for zig zag calories you will find a lot of helpful info...one girl is even reporting her zig zag progress every day.
    -Realize that just because you were so and so weight before doesn't mean you can acheive that now. That was hard for me to swallow because I wanted desperatley to be back at my low weight (even though it was when I had an ED.)
    -Analyze your goals. Why do you want to be that low of weight again? I stopped making it about what I wanted to look like and it became what I wanted to acheive; I want to learn aerials silks/lyra and possibly trapeeze.

If you need support, just ask. :) And you're a Marine...I'm Navy. :)
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Don't discount losing 10 pounds -- that's a success! After a year at that pace, you'd lose 60 pounds!

I think that for most people, losing two pounds a week is considered the maximum you can safely lose. At that maximum pace, you'd lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks. So 10 pounds in 8 weeks is slower than the maximum, but the maximum isn't right for everyone.

Keep up the good work!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i have been dieting for 2 years and i am yet to loose a single pound.. infact i have gained 11 pounds in this time..
    Dont follow the scales, they measure height, and bone and muscle aswell as fat..
    You should be measuring, seeing how your clothes fit, seeing if your toning, etc...
    These are the important things.
    Just dont give up, you can do it!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    You're already quite small. You can't expect to lose any more than one pound a week at your size... so you're way ahead of the bell curve!

If your calorie restriction is set to lose two pounds a week, bump it up to one pound. If you're feeling burned out, you're probably not eating enough. And when you're not eating enough, your body doesn't want to give up the pounds.

Hang in there. You're doing great!

I second this. I'll add that as you do not have lots of weight to lose, it might be time to look closer at WHAT foods you're eating, not just calories. Perhaps lower your carb goal and up your protein goal and try that. Get rid of those "bad" days or cheat days and build in some of your must-haves instead.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ok... From one former KICK-*kitten*-AND-TAKE-NAMES female UNITED STATES MARINE to another...

People on MFP are never going to understand that we hold ourselves to a MUCH higher standard. Shoot, when height & weight regulations are set so that 95% of everybody you work and play with fall into a tight BMI range of 19-25, it is EXTREMELY easy to play the Sesame Street game "one of these things is not like the other". Heck, we're trained to spot even borderline "fatbodies" from many yards away. Oh, and woe be the poor saps who have to wear uniforms other than cammies. If you even think about gaining 7lbs, it shows!

I take it that because of your injury you are riding a light duty chit. Did the Navy doc assign physical therapy? How's your swimming? I'd seek out your unit MCIWS and plead for assistance. We are trained in all forms of aquatic torture... er, I mean PT. Are you participating at all in unit PT if not on a light duty chit? How about proactively volunteering to "help out" with remedial PT? Sometimes whoever is running it has a good circuit weight training program. Have you gotten in touch with your local SemperFit representative? What's your MOS/typical hours/are you on your feet a lot? If you work in an office, ditch your desk chair and roll in a stability ball and screw what others think. Get up and go talk to people instead of shooting an email whenever possible.

As others have said, you're going at a great rate. For those who are like, meh... you're already small, at a healthy BMI etc. ignore them, that may be true for a civilian lifestyle, but they aren't living ours. Heck, even as a civilian when by all accounts I ought to relax, I'm still wanting to brag about being able to meet standards. As you know, EVERYBODY in your unit notices if you put on or lose a bit of weight over time and yeah, guys and girls alike talk about it, A LOT. Makes for great gossip and it's not nearly as taboo as it is out in the civilian world. Since you haven't had reason to sport maternity cammies yet, I'd shoot for a BMI that is 1.7 over your lowest boot camp weight/BMI, then add 1lb for each year since then. What matters most is that YOU are comfortable with how far you are below your max allowable weight, how you look in Charlies and how you rock them green silky "catch me, *kitten* me" shorts!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm right there with you. In Jan I started a goal to be 140 by my birthday (10lbs in 3 months) -which was a very reasonable goal. I worked out 3x per week and watched what I ate. Then for 3 straight weeks before my bday I worked out 5x per week. On my bday - the scale did not move - not one fricken pound!! However, everyone was saying how good I looked and that I had lost weight - so I guess the muscle was starting to take over for the fat. In April I started MFP and realized the I was a CARB junkie!! Wow, I would bust through my carb limit and then some! So I started to watch that and increase my protein especially on work out days - Still....no change. Recently (like in the last 2wks) I lowered my sodium and my sugar intake and finally FINALLY I am seeing some change int eh scale. In 2.5 wks I've lost 2lbs! So..... maybe you need to find your trigger. Maybe its too many carbs, too much sugar, too much sodium, too little calories......try something new for 2-3wks and if no change then switch it up until you find the right formula!! You can do it. Keep it up!!
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    " I eat right for the most part, and limit my "bad days" to one a week and actually my bad days aren't even that bad." What does this mean? Are you *really* logging everything? Coming in at your goal caloric intake for the day?

"I'm doing the 30 Day shred video, but it really isn't that hard to me." You have the power to ramp up the intensity. Do it.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Also... Get your body fat calipered!!! I would have pulled the plug a long time ago if all I was working off of was what the scale reported... a measly 6lbs or me just eyeballing my reflection in the mirror (SO subjective). Lo & behold I dropped 11lbs of pure fat and put on 5lbs of pure muscle :D
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Also... Get your body fat calipered!!! I would have pulled the plug a long time ago if all I was working off of was what the scale reported... a measly 6lbs or me just eyeballing my reflection in the mirror (SO subjective). Lo & behold I dropped 11lbs of pure fat and put on 5lbs of pure muscle :D

You can also purchase an electronic impedance scale. It will show body weight, body fat, bone and water weights and whatever else. I go by the body fat percentage more than the weight personally. For instance last week I lost 1# in weight. However I gained 2# of muscle and lost 3# of body fat. So overall it was a good gain and a 3# loss.

Just make sure it is an electronic impedance scale and not one of the units that just does your height/age math for you.

As a United States Marine you are First In and Last Out and never, ever give up.