Too Much Protein?

Options
tmarie2715
tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
I don't lift weights. I am a pretty active girl (run 3 miles 3-4 times a week, walk a ton, etc) and am getting over the MFP limit on protein pretty often...

Is this bad? Will it halt or interfere with weight loss?

Replies

• Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Depends on what ratio your protein is set. The MFP default, in my opinion, is low on protein and high on carbs. You can always manually adjust it. Although you should be fine if your calories fall in line and the rest of your numbers are good.
  • virtualvirgo13
    Options
    I seem to always blow my protein limit as well... I have an active job but don't work out a lot. I have lost 5 pounds. My friend also said she seems to go over on protein as well and she has lost about 20 pounds. I think if you are somewhat muscular, you probably need more protein... that's just my opinion though.
  • klfazio
    klfazio Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You'll lose more if you eat more protein than carbs. Not in a huge excess, of course, but protein does help facilitate weight loss.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    The more protein I eat, the faster I lose weight. MFP has it set to 15% and I have mine set at 40% and usually still go over that amount. Protein is great for weight loss and for your muscles. I have lost just over 43lbs in 95 days eating high protein and low(ish) carbs.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You sort of have to watch what MFP tells you closely because certain values are not always entered in correctly when people add a food to the data base (protein and sodium are the worst). I do not know if too much protein is much of an issue as long as you are watching what else you are taking in as well - usually things that are high in protein are also high in calories.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I follow a paleo style diet plan, and adjusted my ratios on MFP to more closely approximate what I should eat. I eat 1 g of protein for every pound of body weight. So, currently my fat-protein-carb ratios are 50-30-20. I could go heavier on fat and cut down on some carbs, but I find that having a sweet potato after a vigorous work out helps me recover more quickly. *My fats are GOOD fats, and I've lost A LOT of fat, gained a lot of muscle.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I try to hit a min of 100 grams of protein a day. I think as long as you aren't going to high over the 1-1.5 grams per lb of lean body weight you should be fine. It won't hinder weight loss. Too much can tax the kidneys if you are going over the 1.5 grams per lean body weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It won't interfere with weight loss. I know this because I'm over almost every day and I've lost weight. I have no interest in developing muscles like Jillian Michaels so most of my exercise is cardio with just enough resistance to keep me firm. I've tried paying more attention to my protein because I don't want to over task my kidneys, but even on days that I don't eat meat I'm usually over. I honestly don't know anyone regularly eats as little protein as this site thinks we should have.