Treadmill display vs MFP Exercise Database

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other replies to get a HRM. I personally have a bodymedia fit, which actually tells me all the calories I burn during the day. I sort of disagree with way MFP let you 'add' all these additional calories for every time you work out. Many times that I work out, I still don't have a very high calorie deficit at the end of the day, even with only eating 1200 calories a day...

They mainly do that because its unhealthy to be below a 1200 deficit so it adds those back in to make sure you're above it
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I always trust the machine. this website doesn't take into account the incline.

I created my own exercise in my database that include the incline- i put it in for 60 minutes and what the treadmill told me i would burn...now it matches up pretty well with what the treadmill told me...haven't figured out the elliptical yet though!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other replies to get a HRM. I personally have a bodymedia fit, which actually tells me all the calories I burn during the day. I sort of disagree with way MFP let you 'add' all these additional calories for every time you work out. Many times that I work out, I still don't have a very high calorie deficit at the end of the day, even with only eating 1200 calories a day...

The way MFP works is when you input all your information it assumes you aren't going to be exercising at all. So, based on your goals it gives you a calorie goal with a deficit that will make it so you lose weight. If you workout and burn a bunch of calories, you're going to be too low calorie-wise.

Let's just say MFP gives you 1200 as a daily calorie goal - 400 calories you burned off doing exercise = 800 NET c alories this is the amount of calories you've really eaten + 400 calories eaten back after you workout = the original goal of 1200 calories.

It wants you to eat them back so you don't create too large of a deficit.