4 c. fat free chicken broth
    A couple large handfuls of fresh spinach
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
    Juice of 1 fresh lemon
    Salt, to taste
    Dash cayenne pepper

Saute onion, mushrooms and garlice in non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with Pam. In soup pot, bring broth to boil and add chicken breasts; poach just until done. Remove breasts from broth and cut into bite-size pieces. Bring broth to boil again and add spinach, sauteed onion and mushrooms. Cook just until spinach wilts. Add cooked chicken breast pieces, stir then add lemon juice and cayenne. Salt, to taste and heat another minute; serve. Serves 4-6. 1/4 recipe serving = 70 calories and 24 mg. cholesterol.
  • mellimeter
    mellimeter Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    These are some great recipes!

When I have spare spinach, I normally saute it with garlic and eat it plain. . .or I put it into an egg white omelette with feta, broccoli, and tomatoes.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    steamed with light buttter, steamed with white low fat cheese, and in omelettes :)
    also just fressh add to salads.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Low Fat Baked Ziti with Spinach

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/8th • Points: 6 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 331.9 • Fat: 7.1 g • Protein: 17.5 g • Carb: 54.7 g • Fiber: 7.8 g

1 lb high fiber ziti such as Ronzoni Smart Taste
    28 oz crushed tomatoes (I prefer Tuttorosso)
    1 tsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic,minced
    10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    8 oz fat-free ricotta
    1/4 cup Parmesan
    2 cups (8 oz) part skim mozzarella
    Spray olive oil (I used my Misto)

Preheat oven to 375°.Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with oil spray.

In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add chopped spinach, salt pepper and chopped tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.

Add sauce to the pasta and combine the ziti. Add half of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta. Mix well then transfer to the baking pan.

Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.

This can be made up to a day in advance and stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I made this and it was AWESOME...

Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 stuffed breast • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 194.7 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 24.2 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 1.5 g

8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
    1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
    6 tablespoons egg whites or egg beaters
    5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
    6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
    6 oz part skim mozzarella (I used Polly-O)
    olive oil non-stick spray (I use my Misto)
    1 cup pomodoro sauce or your favorite marinara sauce
    salt and pepper to taste

Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp grated cheese in one bowl and 1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites in another.

Shred or finely chop 1.5 oz of mozzarella cheese and combine with remaining grated cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 tbsp egg beaters, and ricotta cheese.

Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.

Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil.

Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    Mix half spinach half other salad mix
    Slice up some pears
    Cucumbers
    Haselnuts
    A little bit of bleu chees
    Annies raspberry light dressing

It's amazing!
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    :glasses: all of these ideas are great!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I can think of:

Salads - Love spinach salads
    Cook it ever so slightly with a little lime juice and serve with talapia
    make some smoothies (i have yet to try this, but people say its tasty)
    mix it with cream chesse to make a tasty dip

I look forward to reading other people's ideas!
  • loriltx
    loriltx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Best ever salad and so quick

8 cups fresh spinach
    1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    1/4 cup roasted pistachios

1/4 cup pepper jelly (I use Tabasco's brand)
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Salt/pepper

Melt jelly in microwave in a jar. Add the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Toss with the other ingredients.
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    Bump
  • mirandapatches
    Options
    love spinach, can you make a salad with it?
  • kadinino
    kadinino Posts: 3
    Options
    Can of Northern White Beans
    Spinish
    Sauteed Shallots or Onions
    Salt and pepper to taste

Add in a protein if you want

D'lish!
  • alyssa1980
    alyssa1980 Posts: 18
    Options
    sorry for the lack of details, but a tasty snack or side dish is baked spinach chips.... toss spinach leaves with a little bit of olive oil and garlic powder and then bake at a high temp (@425) until crispy (can use other seasonings, such as kosher salt, onion powder, etc as desired)
  • duffylinn
    duffylinn Posts: 30
    Options
    I throw spinach into berry smoothies.
    You can do an egg white omelet.
    Try it in an egg white fritata.
    Make some Spagheti sauce with the spinach.
    Margharita pizza on some flat out wraps.
    Spinach salad with fat free balsamic and hard boiled eggs.
    Add spinach to some 100 calorie thomas english muffins (toasted) and a slice of low fat cheese.
    Spinach, turkey pita w/ tomatoes and a bit of hummus.
    Sautee it with chicken stock, evoo spray and seasoning.

Hope I helped out a bit ;)
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    handful spinach, 2 slices swiss cheese, 2 tbl low fat mayo, artichoke hearts,sprinkle sodium free chicken broth (granuales)
    tear up swiss cheese and mix all together season w/garlic powder if you like bake @ 350 for about 15-20 min. i have even added a baby swiss triangle to this i love it!
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in/on everything! I posted a topic earlier about an awesome green smoothie with fruit and spinach (you can't taste the spinach). For dinner I had a bit of whole wheat spaghetti, some organic Ragu, some baby spinach, and a cut up Chik'n griller. I also put it in eggs a lot as well. The possibilities are endless!
  • beauflexx
    beauflexx Posts: 2
    Options
    Spinach has a crap tone of natural zinc and iron in it, which most ppl are deficiant in, and it also is a huge part of healthy digestion buy aiding in Hydrochloric acid in your stomach which is the prime acid that breaks down and helps the body obsorb nutrients, to max absorbtion add vit-c to it, which you can get from mandarin oranges or tomatoes. . .! Not to mention the amount of fiber and phyto nutrients ( anti-oxidants) which are great to fight free radicals and keep you healthy.

Glad to help let me know if you have an particular questions. . .Im pretty smart :)
    Pardon any spelling errors I worte this quick
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    my first thought was, 'a bowl' I love spinach. I make huge spinach salads 3-4x a week. Green rice is super easy to make and uses a good bit of spinach, I put it in smoothies with dark berries, omelets, pasta...pretty much anything.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    love spinach, can you make a salad with it?

I make salad with it all the time...just spinach, no lettuce. Add some strawberries and some pecans and some olive oil dressing and it's OH SO GOOD...but I can only eat so much salad!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I had no idea spinach was so versatile!