Anyone quit smoking b4 working on weight?

Options
I'm going to try and quit first after my last 4 cigarettes.

Replies

• sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    all the best, i smoke cloves and have been struggling with both weight and quitting but you can do it. If you really have a hard time get on chantex sp*
  • lorischlitz
    Options
    Being on a diet makes me want to smoke. I've never been a heavy smoker (1 Pack a week if that) but, I want to smoke more often when dieting. So far I haven't had one cigarette since starting my diet this week.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking around the same time I started counting calories and exercising.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I quit in mid-weight loss...
    I used (and still use) a GreenSmoke electronic cigarette.
    I love it - it's saved me from relapsing quite a few times, and the more time passes the less I use it.
    My doctor actually told me it was a great tool to help me quit smoking.
    I haven't gained any weight as a result of quitting - but I think if you are already logging everything you eat, you will notice a snack binge ; )

Good luck!! It's not easy - but you can do it!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i quit in April 2010. Started weight control in november, you want to never start again. start running,
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    I really dont want to take any pills for quitting because usually there is a warning for suicidal tendencies and I thought about that alot growing up, so it scares me. Plus, my 23 yr old cousin jumped off a bridge due to acne meds that had the same side effect.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That's what I did, but like smoking; getting fit is a lifestyle change.

20 yrs ago I quit smoking cold turkey. Spent thanksgiving weekend cleaning the house, washing my clothes, throwing my ash trays and lighters in the garbage, steam cleaned the carpets and car, had the drapes dry cleaned. Everything I could do to get the stale smoke smell out of the house.

Then I started to run, to get the #@$& out of my lungs.

Dropped 35 lbs in 3 months, got in the best shape of my life - unfortunately, I stopped exercising and gained weight - but I haven't ever picked up another cigarette. You can lose the weight later on; you can't grow a new set of lungs. It all starts with a mind-set of making fundamental changes to your life - and you are well on your way to doing that.
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    I want to be able to run again and sing among other stuff. Cigarettes have definitely screwed me on alot that's why I want to kick that first. Is it possible to build up to running again when cigarettes have made breathing with walking get you winded?
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I made that my number one priority- I did gain wait I won't lie, but there were multiple factors at play. Now after more than a year and a half after quitting I made getting back to my old weight my number one priority and it took only 4 months.

I realized that to really quit and succeed at quitting I had to let go of any insecurity I had about gaining weight, I've watched my mother and sister-in-law struggle with both weight loss and quitting trying to do both simultaneously and neither has managed to do either. At the end of the day loosing weight is a lot more enjoyable as a non-smoker and when you think about what poses the biggest health risk 1) smoking or 2) a few extra pounds I think we can all agree that smoking is going to be the bigger of the two.

Best of luck in whatever you decide :)

Cheers!!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I quit when I got married and then put on 15lbs! Turns out that nicotine triggers the "fight or flight" receptors in your brain, i.e. you're not hungry because you're in fear for your life (seriously!)

I used the nicotine lozanges and I quit at the same time as my husband.

Now it's time for me to not let no cigarettes make an excuse of killing myself with food :)

Healthy thoughts!!
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible! The human body can do some pretty incredible things :)
    Is it possible to build up to running again when cigarettes have made breathing with walking get you winded?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Since I've started exercising, I haven't had any urges to smoke. I feel like that urge is being replaced with maintaining my weight loss and working toward that goal. Also, I realized I was getting really out of breath easily and a part of the reason I was experiencing that problem was because of cigarettes. I considered quitting smoking prior to weight loss, but my urges were much stronger. I think what's so different this time is that I can FEEL the difference in my body. Just a week of not smoking, and I can feel that my lungs are slowly repairing and that exercising is making it better. It's been a slow process but I totally feel a huge difference.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I quit 4/30/11 and started MFP (again) on 6/10/11. I just quit no tricks no aids just quit. I still want to smoke sometimes like; when I have cocktails, when on the phone with my girls gossiping, and on my breaks at work. But i just don't...
    My boyfriend quit with me! I think that is what is helping most!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT!
  • nikkircaddell
    Options
    Well i have to lose 154lbs to hit my goal weight so quitting smoking first will add even more to that but I know the last 2 times I quit (3.5 months both times cold turkey) 2 weeks after quitting it's like my body wanted to move. So, the way I see it is trying to force myself to exercise while cigs make me tired versus gaining extra to get that natural urge to move from quitting will be worth it. I'm just so going to be needing support in quitting smoking again the first 2 weeks are a pain the 3rd one isn't so bad and after that they are just fly by thoughts. I so could kick myself for thinking one wont hurt (what a crock of crap lol)
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I quit about almost 2 years ago and I put on 45 lbs. I didn't realize how much I depended on cigs for everything. I've only lost 5 lbs out of the 45 but I'm hoping that I lose at least half by this year...hopefully more but its tough. I still to this day crave cigs but I tell myself that its not worth it for sooo many reasons. I'm a runner and just from not smoking alone, I've noticed a huge improvement with my breathing. Quiting is hard but its definately worth it in the long run.
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The patch worked for me.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 months ago (for the 8th time in my life), I used Nicoderm CQ (2nd time but this time I followed all directions!), I started smoking when I was 15, I'm now 54. I gained 45 pounds but mainly because I stuffed my face and didn't exercise at all. Ummm, I don't recommend following my footsteps in the lazy arena! lol
    I joined MFP in June of this year thanks to my amazing daughter! So far I took off 5 lbs and already am starting to feel better! I love MFP and all the wonderful people I have met here.
    You can do this, we all can!! Please feel free to "befriend" me.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in January(cold turkey) and joined MFP in February....I think of it as I replaced the smokes with the gym...feel 100% better...you can do it :wink:
  • chizer
    chizer Posts: 3
    Options
    trying to quit, smoking for more than 20 yrs. is hard and difficult. I fee your pain