Saving Calories for One Big Meal?

Options

Replies

• k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I am a firm believer in working out to gain extra calories...

Last Saturday I was going to a wedding... I knew I would go over on calories... However, I went in the a.m. and burned an additional 500 calories. Less guilt as I was eating and drinking that evening :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in working out to gain extra calories...

Last Saturday I was going to a wedding... I knew I would go over on calories... However, I went in the a.m. and burned an additional 500 calories. Less guilt as I was eating and drinking that evening :)

I do the same!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I've done it plenty of times. I wouldn't recommend doing it every day simply b/c - well who likes to go hungry all day every day? I won't fast all day - just eat very light and earn some exercise calories beforehand. I find that the hungrier I am before that splurge meal - the better it tastes and the more satisfying it is!!!
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    I make Friday a big workout day for me so I can enjoy my evening and all that it brings without guilt.....I do this every Friday. :flowerforyou:

Me too!!!! I just kicked my own derriere burning 700+ cals with Kickboxing!!! :bigsmile:
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I make Friday a big workout day for me so I can enjoy my evening and all that it brings without guilt.....I do this every Friday. :flowerforyou:

Me too!!!! I just kicked my own derriere burning 700+ cals with Kickboxing!!! :bigsmile:

Great job! I usually burn between 950 - 1400 calories on Friday......Think that pretty much covers any meal/dessert I want....lol :flowerforyou:
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do this for the most part. I havent splurged on pizza yet, but if I want to have a glass (or more) of wine, I adjust my eating so that even drinking wont take me over.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Usually if i know there is something that i am going to want to eat later... i.e going to a resturaunt with family or friends or a bbq or something like that i will go to the gym in the morning so that was i can get in a good work out so i have extra calories for later...
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Usually if i know there is something that i am going to want to eat later... i.e going to a resturaunt with family or friends or a bbq or something like that i will go to the gym in the morning so that was i can get in a good work out so i have extra calories for later...

That's what I tend to do!
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'll eat less during the day and work out more before dinner so I can eat what I want, like three tacos instead of two :]
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I did this the other day. We were having a big dinner and I didn't want it to put me over so I had just a light breakfast.
    I was doing the intermittent fasting thing a few years ago after my 2nd daughter and didn't realize it was a "thing". When I first came here all I kept seeing was you MUST eat a bazillion times a day. I tried can't do it. I can eat cereal for breakfast but for some reason I rarely want lunch or a snack. But I drink a ton so maybe that has something to do with it?
    After seeing some people here saying I'm not going to die doing this and reading http://www.leangains.com/ I'm probably going to give it a try again for a few months and see how it goes.
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    Most people will probably say you shouldn't, but, if it's not an every day thing I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I tend to do this on Saturdays sometimes.
    Right and wrong.

OP you can do this even if it is an everyday thing. The limits of our bodies anabolic/catabolic state are vastly underestimated and exaggerated, respectively. Our bodies don't think every 2-3 hours what it should be doing with itself regarding metabolism; it thinks in terms of 24 - 72 hours.

You can eat one big meal every single day, 7 days a week, and be fine.
    Ok thanks, I just know it's bad to skip breakfast, I hadn't ever heard anything about lunch! haha

It's not. It's about 3 pm and I have not eaten a thing today. Perfectly fine.

mynameisuntz may I ask why you haven't filled out ANY profile information and have no picture?
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Why does that matter?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    mynameisuntz may I ask why you haven't filled out ANY profile information and have no picture?
    What would you like to know about me? Want a picture? Want to know how much I can bench or how far I can bike in one sitting? Will that make my answers more credible? Do you discern credibility based on achievement?

If I echo scientific research, then why does the medium matter? Why does the person merely relaying the scientific evidence matter?

Answer that for me and I'll gladly post a picture and tell you anything you want to know.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Our calorie numbers are a target, not a limit. So it's okay to go over a few times as long as you're under a few times. I do that sometimes too. I wouldn't ever skip a meal if you can't help it though. Maybe just eat a handful of nuts for 160 calories and an apple or something like that. I'd rather have 200 calories for lunch and go over by 200 calories that day then skip lunch and be under.
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    What would you like to know about me? Want a picture? Want to know how much I can bench or how far I can bike in one sitting? Will that make my answers more credible? Do you discern credibility based on achievement?

If I echo scientific research, then why does the medium matter? Why does the person merely relaying the scientific evidence matter?

Answer that for me and I'll gladly post a picture and tell you anything you want to know.

My aren't we a little defensive. Why just because I want to know who's making statements that affect my health and the health of others? Why does it matter? Because you are injecting your "advise" left and right on this site (over 200 posts) and expect people to take said advise blindly without knowing ANYTHING about who you are and what your background is. Never mind, I've learned all I need to know about you. There's my answer for you.
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    I like the idea of just eating smaller meals all day, and then picking up your workout as well! Sounds good to me! And listen to yourself when you do indulge, eat the pizza slower than usual and really enjoy it this time around! if you've been eating smaller amounts you will prlby be really hungry and want to wolf it down; don't! since you'll be hungry, take the time to smell it, taste a little bite, and then eat that first slice slowly! ever watch ally mcbeal lol? think of that episode wear they take their first sip of coffee haha! then maybe you may not eat as much pizza as you usually would, but you'll enjoy it a whole lot more ;)
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    My aren't we a little defensive. Why just because I want to know who's making statements that affect my health and the health of others? Why does it matter? Because you are injecting your "advise" left and right on this site (over 200 posts) and expect people to take said advise blindly without knowing ANYTHING about who you are and what your background is. Never mind, I've learned all I need to know about you. There's my answer for you.
    Not defensive? I have no problem showing you who I am or answering any questions about myself. But how does that make my statements more credible? Do you think every guy with 10% body fat is up-to-date on their knowledge of nutrition and human physiology?

If you want to know the validity of my advise, why don't you ask for my sources? Why do you ask about ME? Ask me for my empirical evidence.

"However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass"

-K. Stote, D. Baer, K. Spears, et al. A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults. Am J Clin Nutr; 85:981-988 (April 2007)

Feel free to ask anything you want to ask. I'd be happy to answer.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Option 1: Why not have normal breakfast and then snack lightly throughout the day on low calorie/nutritious foods until dinner.

It is kinda bad to skip brekkie... I've read that if your body knows it won't be getting food for hours it will slow your metabolism down.

Option 2: do a killer workout that day to counteract it.

Option 3: count it as a cheat day... I got through my plateau by introducing 1 cheat day a week
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    It is kinda bad to skip brekkie... I've read that if your body knows it won't be getting food for hours it will slow your metabolism down.
    Nope, not true at all. BMR won't slow down, and the thermic effect of food (TEF - metabolic boost from eating food) is dose-dependent, meaning it doesn't matter what time you eat or how many meals you eat in a day.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    @mynameisuntz - Oh my god. Please tell me you're not asmcriminal in disguise.