Couch to 5K

Options
Has anybody that was really out of shape had any success with this? I am realllly out of shape and weigh ALOT so it is going to be WAY HARD! I am going to do it anyway.

Replies

• cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I got to week 5 before my hip started hurting. I'm still over 100 lbs overweight. it's tough, but it can be down, just don't push yourself if you think you might get an injury. I plan to get back at it soon! :)
  • threekidsforme
    threekidsforme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that have done this and it has worked. I am just starting it and can't wait to see if I can make it to the end. I just keep telling myself that I can do it. You can do it too!! Good luck and if you need any support just let me know!! We could do this together!!
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am almost thinking that because I am soooo heavy that maybe I should do every week 's work out for two weeks and then progress. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am repeating week two right because I had family in town and it has been working out great for me. The interval training really has helped my time rather than me just guessing. BTW I have exercise induce asthma, and a bad knee.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Of course its hard, but it can be done.
    Like your signature quote says: "pick your hard"
  • erikrichter
    erikrichter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was in the 320's when I started... Now down to 250 since January and can run 6+ miles without walking. Yes... you CAN do it. Just start slow. Even cut week one in half... 30 seconds running, 3 minutes walking. I had to repeat a couple weeks just because I wasn't ready to move on.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making it an 18 week plan instead of 9. Do each week twice to build up your endurance because the phases may be a little extreme for someone who has more weight to lose. And never do it 2 days in a row. Try maybe Mon, Wed, Fri or Tue, Thur, Sat. Don't pay attention to speed. You can build your speed up after you have completed it. Please make sure to drink PLENTY of water!!!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh 119kgs or 262lbs. I'm in week 2 and loving it - sure I'm a bit sore the next day, but thats just muscular.

However I have been walking almost every day for the last 3 months, so I'm defionately fitter than when I started MFP.
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started C25K this week. If I was you, I wouldn't stipulate a time frame on which to change to the next level. Start and do Week 1 until to can achieve that week's goal comfortably BEFORE you move on to the next level. I don't have as much to lose as you ("only" about 50lbs) but although I managed to complete all but one of the jog sessions on Level 1, day 1, it was still difficult. I haven't done any running since my teenage years (I'm now over 50) but I know this programme will get me running again. You have to listen to your own body - you know it better than anyone.

Good luck
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    I was really out of shape when I started couch to 5k. I'm about 60lb over weight. I'm starting week 8 tomorrow, only 2 more weeks of it to go! The first week it was 1 minute jogging, and 1 minute walking... it was pretty "comfortable" to do. Each week gets more, and now I'm able to jog for 25 minutes at a time. To make it "easier" I might stay on each "week" of couch to 5K for two weeks, instead of only one. Also, running inside, on a treadmill, or on track, is much easier because it's even ground, and smooth. When I run outside, I can only make it 5 minutes of running at a time. I might stick to inside running if it's too hard to run outside.

Good luck with it... I honestly have found it really inspiring... I REALLY love it!!!
  • LizzieBee17
    Options
    thank peeps.. ya'll are always soo suppotive :blushing:
  • leegwatts
    leegwatts Posts: 1
    Options
    Like everone says, its going to be hard. But wont know if you dont try. You owe it to yourself to try!
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of couch to 5k.. could you explain what it is?

I started off at 5'9 286 lbs. When I first started I could BARELY run/jog for 30 seconds. within about a month and a half I could run a mile and a half around a 5 mph- 6mph speed without stopping. I finally did a 5k but I did have to walk a little bit of it, but I never quit. I kept moving. My goal was to do a 5k in 50 minutes, just because I wasn't sure what to expect or if I could even handle it. I beat my goal, and now I want to beat my first time. : ) I've only lost 34 lbs, but I want to keep losing! : ) Please let me know what the couch to 5k is and let me know how you feel about it! I bet whatever it is you CAN do it, it's up to you to decide to do it! You seem pretty dedicated! Good luck!!: )
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of couch to 5k.. could you explain what it is?

Here's the website for the c25k:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's a program that gets you going from the "couch" (absolutely no running experience) to running a 5k in 9 weeks. It has you do three runs a week and ups the time each week. It's a pretty awesome program. I'm on week 4 as of right now.. and I never believed I could run for 5 minutes without stopping, but I can!
    It's also a great program to help people develop good form and avoid injury. I'd definitely recommend it :)
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5 today. I started at 305 and am down 35 pounds since starting MFP.

I hurt myself on Week 2 for having bad shoes and pushing too hard. When I talked to the doc he recommended I slow down and buy better shoes, but continue with the program once my knee was better (just steroids and time)

Taking that advice I have had no problem moving forward.

Instead of planning to make each week into 2, I would recommend that you listen to your body. If this week was too hard or you couldn't finish it repeat it. If this week was doable but challenging move forward. If you give it an 18 week timeframe, then the end may be out of sight and it becomes easier to quit.

It's a time tested program that has worked for many people.

My advice is:

Walk first, plan some routes and walk them. Hills suck and you don't notice them while driving. When you can walk a couple miles you are ready to start, if you can't your not ready. Your body needs to adjust to the exercise slowly which is the reason you are looking at this program in the first place.

Slow down, the only thing your racing is your preconceived notions of what you can and can't do. The primary benefit of this program is not being able to run fast, its being able to run when you couldn't before.

Listen to your body, if something hurts let it heal. The program is a guideline not a schedule the weeks are a way to track progress not a calendar.

Push yourself, its supposed to be a little hard. When you read ahead it gets daunting, if you push yourself each week is as easy as the first, if you don't each week is as hard as the last.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for explaing it! : ) I'm definitely going to have to look into this when I get home later this evening! I think it sounds really interesting and I'd love to try it! I love myfitnesspal for this exact reason! I get to learn so much from so many great people! Thanks agian! : )
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Can I also suggest another web site - Running into Shape dot com - you will be able to download a podcast that tells you when to jog and when to walk. This is so much easier to listen to than to try and gauge it for yourself. The web site's author is also quite inspirational and her blog is well worth a read.

Good luck!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Can I also suggest another web site - Running into Shape dot com - you will be able to download a podcast that tells you when to jog and when to walk. This is so much easier to listen to than to try and gauge it for yourself. The web site's author is also quite inspirational and her blog is well worth a read.

Good luck!

Thanks for that link. I'm always sabotaging my run by looking down too soon, then my brain tells me that I'm too tired to continue, and the arms go onto the bars on the treadmill. If I had a towel over the display and could just use verbal queues, it would work much better! Starting week 4 next week... excited!!

BTW, for OP, I started it mid-may, and struggled through the first week. repeated week 2 once, because I had the flu and couldn't continue one or two days, then week 3 I tackled last week and just couldn't get myself to do the 3 minute run, turns out I was going too fast, so this week, slowed down the jog to 4.5mph instead of my desired 5, and I FINALLY finished this week and it felt great. Still have at least 45lb to go, but 20lb down since mid-April and loving the program. :)
  • LizzieBee17
    Options
    :frown: OMG.... I bailed on the running after 11 minutes and walked for the rest of the time plus about 5 -10 minutes. I'll keep trying... my fat legs are killing me. :sad:

Jill thank you so much for that link I am going to look into that ASAP. :flowerforyou:
  • LizzieBee17
    Options

My advice is:

Walk first, plan some routes and walk them. Hills suck and you don't notice them while driving. When you can walk a couple miles you are ready to start, if you can't your not ready. Your body needs to adjust to the exercise slowly which is the reason you are looking at this program in the first place.

Slow down, the only thing your racing is your preconceived notions of what you can and can't do. The primary benefit of this program is not being able to run fast, its being able to run when you couldn't before.

Listen to your body, if something hurts let it heal. The program is a guideline not a schedule the weeks are a way to track progress not a calendar.

Push yourself, its supposed to be a little hard. When you read ahead it gets daunting, if you push yourself each week is as easy as the first, if you don't each week is as hard as the last.

you are so right. I am going to start doing all the walking I can. It kicked my butt today.