How did you choose your goal weight?

Options
In two pounds time I will have reached my "goal" weight. I will still be over weight according to my BMI but I will have lost 70lbs. Think I may try for 5 more though. It got me thinking, besides BMI, what are some of the other ways people choose their "goal weight" ?

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that I remember being happy with the way I looked when I was that weight.
  • SGomez84
    SGomez84 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well for me of course the BMI but I chose for what I was before I started having kids since that is when I started to gain all the weight and not take it off.
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    I chose mine because it was the weight where I felt the most healthy and happy, as well as the weight where I liked the look of my body the best.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I chose one that was right in the middle of my healthy weight zone. The low end is for people who desire to be skinny, and the high end left little wiggle room before being overweight again. I figured the middle is a good place to be! :) congrats on 70lbs!! YOU ROCK!
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I chose mine because that was the weight I was when I got married. Now I'm thinking of reaching towards BMI though
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    dont go by your BMI. BMI is based on height and wgt. So if a body builder thats 5'7 230 lbs would more or less be considered overwight even though he would have 5% body fat. best way is to get a body fat index take by either measuring with calipers or this hand held gadget that most gyms use.

I dont think theres a perfect wgt for a particular person. I would go by the way you feel.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Because I once took phentermine and got down to that weight (aka goal weight), I feel it a better challenge to do it myself than have a FREE ride (pill) to get me there.

Boy was I stupid........ LOL!!!! :laugh:
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I really can't remember... LOL I personally want to be at my pre preg weight. but I know that is unreal, because I was 18 when I got preg. I just want to have clothes that fit me, and not have to suck in to zip them. lol I started at 220 and I want to be 150ish. Then I will re evaluate things. I was 127 when I got preg. LOL
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    BMI is actually useless and inaccurate, especially if you have any muscle. What I did was go up to my local university and have a Bod Pod test to find out my fat to lean ratio, then decided what I want my body fat percentage goal to be and multiplied my lean mass times that percent (i.e. lean mass x 1.25 percent). Bod Pod only cost like $25 and was TOTALLY worth the cost because it's the most accurate way to calculate body fat.
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I chose mine because that is the lowest weight I can remember being in my "adult" life (that was my sophomore year of high school.) And I knew it was an attainable goal. Once I hit that first HUGE goal, I may reach to lose the extra 20 pounds needed to put me in the "healthy" BMI range.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Last year I was at 120 and that it where I'd ideally like to be. I wouldn't mind be lower because I was not very happy at that weight. I'm still in this fantasy of high school weight =/
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight I see hot girls my height looking hot at. I'm not obsessed with the actual number, just getting around it and seeing how look as I get closer and closer...because obviously chicks lie about weight and every ones bodies hold weight differently.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Initially I picked 140 lbs as a goal weight. That was the lowest I'd ever been post-puberty and so I thought it would be a great goal, attainable with some work, all that jazz.

A little while ago I experimented with various types of %body fat measurements.

If I actually reach 140 lbs while maintaining my current level of muscle, I'd have to reach 7-10% body fat, which is completely unhealthy for a woman who wants to have kids (or at all, as far as I know--I could be wrong). Anyway, I changed my goal to 160 lbs with a target %body fat of ~25%. I'd have to lose a little bit of muscle to reach that but I expect I probably will along the way.

No idea what size I'll be. At ~208 lbs (weigh in is tomorrow) I'm solidly in a size L on top and a 14-16 (depending on the brand and cut) on the bottom.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    http://www.thedietitian.com said 17% body fat for me would be 139 lbs so that's how I picked it. It's 6 lbs within the healthy BMI for me...supposedly. We'll see.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I chose it because it puts me right smack in the middle of a healthy BMI and 100 lbs sounded like a good number. My husband thinks I should be going for 150, which is still in the healthy range, but at the high end of it.

It's not set in stone. It may change as I get closer.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    You should pick it on various things. BMI has some say in it but body fat percentage is much more important. Waist to hip ratio and waist to height ratio is also important to be healthy because that's important to prevent some health issues.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think I just chose mine at random based on what most charts would say was a healthy weight for someone my height. My real goal was health (got all A's on my latest blood test) and to hopefully get back in my size 8 non-stretch jeans (did that too). I'm still slowly losing so I guess my real goal weight is wherever this healthy new lifestyle leaves me.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight that I was my happiest at. i dont pay much attention to the generic bmi calculator that are strictly based on height and weight...gonna do what makes me feel good
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Its within my BMI and I know that its the weight at which I can fit into a dress my mom made and wore in a wedding. I have always loved the dress and wanted to be able to wear.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I picked mine because it's the weight I remember my mom being at when she told me that she'd love me more if I were skinny.

I just want to look better than her.