Help!!!!!!!! My husband wants Chinese for Dinner

blink1021
blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Need some help my husband just informed me its Chinese for dinner. Need ideas of what I can possibly order without killing my whole day.

Replies

• Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Chicken Chow Mein ain't tooooooo bad. Or an omelette?
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Its easy if it's a buffet. You can select mostly vegies and leave the meat behind so you still get the great flavors. As a matter of fact, I think we will go Chinese tonight too!
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    White rice, assuming they don't have brown rice (not brownED rice which is fried).
    Add soy sauce to it. throw in a can of peas from your cabinet.

Everything else, run away. It's all some combo of fried and cooked in high calorie sauce.

Eat a spring role if you've been otherwise good all day.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Indulge.
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    No clue! When I eat chinese food it totally kills me for a few days! The sodium is ridiculous!
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Stay away from the fried foods. There are many Chinese dishes with lots of vegetables. Chose white rice over the fried rice, and go easy on it. The biggest issue with Chinese food is sodium. My preference is Chicken/beef with garlic sauce!!!

It will not hurt you to have a 'cheat day'. Actually they are good for you once a week. They keep you moral up, and keep you body from starvation mode.

Enjoy!!!!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Don't eat it. I know it is really hard. I have three other people in the house that I still have to cook for and it really gets to me sometimes. Here are some of the things I think about ....

How long am I going to have to exercise to get rid of the calories I'm about to eat?
    Is this going to put me a day behind?
    When I step on the scale am I going to be disappointed with the number I see and then regret that I ate that stupid food?
    Am I depriving myself of food, or am I depriving myself of the life I want to live?
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Brazil Butt Lift Recommendations for Chinese:

Steamed chicken & broccoli
    Steamed shrimp with asparagus and carrots
    Steamed veggies
    Grilled or Steamed Fish
    Broth based soups

I know its hard but try and resist, I'm home with my parents for a month and atm they are having the kitchen re-done... last night they had fish and chips and tonight Pizza Hut... I stuck to soup etc. You can do better than that though if you have a functioning kitchen :laugh:
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    What about a chinese chicken salad, not sure where you are going... If they have a salad with grilled chicken try that, with the dressing on the side.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    steamed shrimp w/ veggies. i had it from the Chinese place nearby. yummm. they have a little "Trim & Healthy" menu so i got it off that, but i'm sure you could just order it anyway even if yours doesn't have a menu like that.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    i asked for steamed chicken or shrimp with veggies. they are usually happy to accommodate.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Small amount of white rice and look for meat and/or veggies without alot of sauce.

Good luck, it will be fine! Just log it as best as you cann!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I love Chinese guys (so hot!), so I am rather familiar with the foods :laugh:

In my experience Cantonese (Southern) Chinese food can be really healthy, while Northern (Shi chuan sp?) is very high calorie.

Maybe go to a Cantonese restaurant and order a fish dish with green veges :) You can't go very wrong with fish!

ps: Sometimes Chinese restaurants serve brown rice (Where I live) for a small extra charge. If you live in a health-conscious area, it is worth asking :)
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    I had Chinese last night. Occasional cheat works for me.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    yeah, I would say a chicken and veggie dish with a "clear-based" sauce... but most will be high sodium and sugar regardless... If possible ask for the sauce on the side, so you can judge how much you use.

Rice, instead of noodles is usually safe.

But mostly, it's only food. If you go over a little, exercise a little longer this weekend. If you never enjoy yourself then you'll end up resenting us.
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    I always get shrimp and snow peas w/ brown rice. yummo!
    or get wild and make up for it in exercise, either way works!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    hit the gym and hit it hard, then eat what you want LOL
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Or you can order what you really like but ask if they do half/child portions. Or if your husband isn't too protective of his food, have a spoonful of each of his dishes, and top up with the steamed veggies/boiled rice. You deserve to taste the foods you like but just not gorge on them.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Get steamed veggies and have them serve the sauce on the side. Either garlic or brown sauce are fine on the side, just dip your veggies. Be careful with the rice though, tons of calories! Have fruit for dessert and maybe a small dish of soft serve ice milk. Good Luck!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    thanks to everyone for their ideas you really helped me out.
This discussion has been closed.