A Vegetarian in Alabama

Options
At 20 years old I am: an active vegetarian of 4 years; an inconsistent vegan; an avid yogini; a recovering shop-a-holic (with the occasional,ok often, retail relapse); a student at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama...Yes I said Alabama. The irony here is that I am from Chicago, a hub a delicious vegetarian food & yet I still choose to surround myself with fried up BBQ pork (hell they even fry their vegetables!) So why in the world would a vegetarian/yogini leave Chicago & venture to Alabama? Well I am not here to rant about greasy southern comfort foods or scold anyone for eating meat; I have found through my yoga, vegetarianism & the "occasional" retail therapy, that living even in the "Mecca" of hunting & beauty queens, I am not only happy as ever, but expressing my tofu-loving, kombucha-tea-drinking, self to its full extent. The true beauty of living somewhere completely out of my comfort zone has made me even stronger both physically & mentally. "While the activities of the emergent mind fields may be diverse, the one mind is the director of the many."-Yoga Sutra 4.5

Check out more food, fun, and fabulous tips on my blog: http://avegetarianinalabama.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've never witnessed any BBQ being fried up, it's usually pulled or sliced. Oh, and the only reason they fry veggies is so they actually taste better :) Yeah.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Hi there Yogi. And War Eagle from a fellow alum :) I just had to respond to this... it may absolutely shock you to know we have many veggies down here in the deep dirty south ;) I'm no longer one of them.
  • YogiGal7
    YogiGal7 Posts: 9
    Options
    War Eagle! And I did not mean to come off as insulting, I absolutely love the South (or else I would not be here :wink: ), but that's great to hear feedback, thanks!
  • dwallace27
    dwallace27 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm from Louisiana and I've been vegetarian for 22 years (i'm only 28 now)! It is hard finding good restaurants in the south that I can acutally eat at..so I've learned to be a good cook!! But there are a few of us down here. I just try not to talk about it with too many people because I get asked lots of annoying questions:)
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I went to Auburn from NY, I understand completely. I'm in Atlanta now!! War Eagle!!