Breakfast ideas for a non-breakfast person?

Options
Since I am changing the way I eat, trying to eat right and healthy, I know I need to eat breakfast every morning. My problem is I am completely not a breakfast person. I dont like so much on my stomach right as soon as I wake up... it just makes me feel sick. I'd be happy with a glass of milk or orange juice.

So, what can I eat to make sure I have a decent breakfast, but not one that is going to make me feel sick? I've been eating cereals, fruits, breakfast bars, etc. Meat, eggs,or sweet things tend to upset my stomach so early in the morning. :frown:

any ideas?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    How about protein shakes? You can use milk or water if you buy protein powder - depending on what you think your stomach can handle.

I will say this - I was never a breakfast person either. Til I changed my lifestyle and now, my body can't wait for me to eat in the morning and if I didn't eat - I would feel like crap.

Other options:

Yogurt
    Fruit
    oatmeal
    Protein bars
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Don't eat when you first wake up. Give yourself some time if you can. If you need to get out the door pretty quickly, pack something to take with you. Maybe a meal replacement shake or something like that..anything portable.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person either...I'll eat cereal but even then that's not my favorite. I usually have yogurt. Vitamuffins are awesome as well...or Thomas' Bagel Thins. Only 110 calories for the whole bagel!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt for breakfast daily.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    sounds like you making good choices already... fruits, cereal bars.

As you continue, your body might get used to the idea of food so early in the morning.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt-with fruit and granola after I work out-- when I first wake up i dont want food immediately either- but after a workout I do. If i dont work out then a little vita top muffin is good for me or a protein bar.

good luck
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Start slow and add things as you go. I have anywhere between 400-500 calories just at breakfast! Once I made that the largest meal of the day, the weight started coming off easily. Breakfast for me are eggs with diced ham/onions/spinach, 12-grain toast, slice of low fat cheese, half a banana, coffee and water (or something similar). I used to be exactly like you where eating anything in the morning would make me feel sick. Now I feel sick and sluggish all day if I don't get breakfast. :)
  • CrazyAngel06
    Options
    I have been eating dry cereal. I am not much of a breakfast person either.

I bag one cup of cereal (Usually Cheerios) in a sandwich bag & eat it at my desk when I get to work. This way I am eating it usually a couple of hours after I wake up, and it's easy to eat while I start my day at work also. One cup of dry cheerios is only about 100-120 calories a cup, depending on the kind you get.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake and sometimes a piece of fruit every morning.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that protein in the morning really changes my day. Sometimes I eat a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter and sliced strawberries. I also make breakfast sandwiches with bagel thins, fat free cream cheese, raspberries and sliced deli turkey with baby spinach. Or other variations. Although I think in your situation it's just that your body isn't ready to eat in the morning. Don't force yourself to eat. I usually eat my breakfast at least an hour after I wake up, sometimes even 3 hours after I wake up.
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast person either. However, I have heard and been lectured that it's the most important meal of the day. I will occasionally eat yogurt, but my favorite is Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bars. They are chewy granola bars that literally taste like candy bars and have 35% of your daily fiber too, so it's a bonus! Also, I found a recipe of Hungry Girl's for Cinnamalicious French Toast where you can eat 3 slices for 195 calories. It's so filling! However, if you have an upset stomach in the morning, it probably wouldn't help that much! Try the Fiber One bars though because it's just something little to help kick start your metabolism!
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a protein shake the past few mornings made with 1/2 a banana and 1/2 cup skim milk, I find it really filling and tasty :)

Katie
  • Azlan9055
    Azlan9055 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've never really been a breakfast person either, but you're right, it is important to eat something to get your metabolism going in the mornings. I usually wait an hour or two until I get up, get ready, get to work, and get settled, then I eat a banana or dry cereal, or either drink a slim fast or special K shake. Also, another hint, caffeine gets your metabolism up. I don't even really like coffee, but I force myself to drink a cup of black coffee (0 calories) with splenda (also 0 calories). Let me know how it goes!! Good luck!! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat in the mornings if you are not hungry or don't feel like eating? I'm not a breakfast person either. I have a glass of soy milk most mornings, but don't eat anything till at least 10 a.m. If I don't get hungry I don't eat anything till lunch.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sistah! You just need to change your hunger clock. I used to go all day without eating...literally. if I ate before 7pm, it wasn't before noon! Lol. The first two weeks I ate breakfast, I felt like I would vomit. Water in the mouth n stomach turning. I would take it one bite at a time....swallowing it down and waiting a few minutes...then trying again. Now I crave it. If I don't eat by 8am and every 2-3 hrs after that, my body makes all the grumbling sounds it can to alert me that its time to eat again. In the beginning I set an alarm. Now my body is the alarm and a fat burning machine. And don't listen to those that say don't eat before bed. I still eat at 11pm...granted a healthy snack...but I have consistently lost 1-2 lbs per week for the past 5 months. Eat as early as you can in morning. Drink water. Eat 5-7 times per day. Try to get 80+ grams protein per day. Watch your sugars. It will work. And give your body at least 2-3 weeks to adjust to the new routine before it starts to figure out its okay to get rid of the extra weight.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein shakes! I use Jillian Michael's Whey Protein powder with 2% milk... and sometimes chocolate reddi whip, YUM! It's a great, light breakfast and tastes good too... especially if you use a blender and add ice!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    thanks for all the great suggestions! I guess this is something I am going to have to feel my way through until I get it exactly right. The right combination of food to get me through the morning.

Its not that I am not hungry... I am very hungry when I wake up! Its just for some reason my stomach doesnt want anything too heavy in it first thing in the morning.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast fan either... i always do a protein shake and try to squeeze in a granola bar... works perfectly for me...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great suggestions! I guess this is something I am going to have to feel my way through until I get it exactly right. The right combination of food to get me through the morning.

Its not that I am not hungry... I am very hungry when I wake up! Its just for some reason my stomach doesnt want anything too heavy in it first thing in the morning.

Then eat something light. You don't have to stick to what society says are "breakfast foods" eat whatever sounds good.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you can't have hearty things, try greek yogurt mixed with granola! Yum.