Want to run a 5k in August =)

Options
Hey everyone!! I really want to run the local 5k that is held in my town in August. I am soooo not a runner but I can kick the heck outta Turbofire. Do you runners think that I have enough time to train between now and August? Anyone have any pointers on how to "become" a runner?? Thanks =)

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Of course you have time! When is the race? I have a 9-week training plan, very similar to couch to 5K. Message me or friend me and I can send it to you.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Definitely. 5Ks are usually walker friendly so you'll be fine. Find a training program and stick with it.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    And get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running store.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program last summer & now run 5ks almost every weekend - I also run them on my own a few times thru the week and I was NEVER a runner before in my life!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • momma_of_42000
    Options
    couch to 5k is great we have just started it and is on our 2nd week doing good so far so you have time from now until aug to get ready!! good luck
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    And get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running store.

I second this! Good shoes are KEY to running without hurting yourself.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely have time - C25K is good, but I think it takes 9 weeks - if you are in good shape already, you can probably get there in 6 weeks - look around on the web for 5K training schedules for beginners, and find one that fits your time frame. Or try C25K and see how you do on the first intervals - if it's easy you can skip ahead a few weeks to where it is comfortably hard. I went from being a non-runner to running a full 5K (slowly) in 6 weeks through a program at a local running store, and I am definitely not a jock :-)
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    C25K, by the looks of your workout you'd be able to skip ahead a bit so it should be no probs. Get a decent pair of shoes and you'll be off and ready.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just got some new awesome shoes last week =) Im gonna start bright and early tomorrow morning!! Thank you everyone for your help =)