*HRM*-Should I get one?

Options
2»

Replies

• lilkatiebug
    lilkatiebug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me the Polar FT7 and I didn't think I would use it very much. I am one of those people that avoid the HRM on exercise machines and never really cared what my heart rate was. After you put your information into the watch it calculates what range your HR should stay in. Now when I do go walking/jogging I do try to stay within my range to get the best fat burning workout I can. It has SO many other features too that are added bonus, my favorite is the calories burned. It also logs all your workouts in there which is nice.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I really want one but when I look at them online I just get confused - I'm just not sure which is the best one for me.

From everything i've read it must be Polar but I'm not sure if I should get one which links to a bike (for cadence, speed, distance etc) or just a more basic one.

Most of the cardio exercise I do is on my bike but I'm not really bother about the speed and distance because I know the distance I cycle and the speed doesn't interest me that much.

So i looked at the more basic ones and theres about 2-3 to choose from and I just can't make a decision.

Do they really give you that much of an edge with exercise ?
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I really want one but when I look at them online I just get confused - I'm just not sure which is the best one for me.

From everything i've read it must be Polar but I'm not sure if I should get one which links to a bike (for cadence, speed, distance etc) or just a more basic one.

Most of the cardio exercise I do is on my bike but I'm not really bother about the speed and distance because I know the distance I cycle and the speed doesn't interest me that much.

So i looked at the more basic ones and theres about 2-3 to choose from and I just can't make a decision.

Do they really give you that much of an edge with exercise ?

About half of my cardio is on my bike (the other half is on a treadmill). I sorta wish I'd gotten an HRM that included a GPS so I could see how far I'd gone, because while getting healthy and losing weight is my #1 goal, I would also like to be better able to bike with my really athletic friends when I'm done with this. That said... I have an iPhone and bought the app CycleMeter which gives me all the info about the ride (distance, duration, average speed, max speed), so between the HRM and that I have all the info I could want.

Regarding does it give you an edge... I really believe in the idea of logging all of your calories, both in AND out. I am not one of those folks who eats his exercise calories, but i was absolutely SHOCKED to see how far off MFP was on estimating my calorie burn. Like... twice as much.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking of getting one too...heard Polar makes really good ones, and the Cardio Trainer app on my phone can link up to it for calculations. How much was the F6 though? Not too sure what my budget should be.
    I got mine on ebay for 28 bucks =) I think they run around 80-100 normally!

I've been looking out for the ones on eBay...thanks for the tip! :) But you got a really good deal...those on eBay now are pretty expensive. Will keep my hopes up, though!