kettlebell - worth the money?

Options
I researched kettlebells a bit and now I really really want one. They burn crazy calories and fat from what I've read. Im just wondering if anyone has experience with it because they are like $2 per lb where I live and that's alot of cash for something I HOPE will work. How heavy should I get? Im a 6ft 196lb male for reference. JUST started using a total gym, no weight lifting yet. Well, nothing more than light dumbells for circuit training. I was thinking about 20lbs to start? Idk though cuz I read on one site that the average male should be swingin 35lbs. I think that's too much. Thanks for the help

Replies

• Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I have a little experience with them. Yes, they cost a bit of $$$, especially if you end up needing a variety of weights, but once you have a handful of sizes you can do A LOT with them.

I bought a variety of weights (pairs of 12kg - 24kg) and a few DVDs to workout to, and got a killer workout. Form is crucial, and the first few workout may stress your lower back (since you are always holding these in your hands and swinging in one direction or another). Other than that, I like them.

If budget is a concern, check in the consignment places (used sporting goods), or craigslist. I'd start in the 25-30lb range and go from there. Trust me, you can get a killer workout with such a low weight.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    The weight depends on the exercise. I do a hip swing with a 35lb kettlebell sometimes, but I also use a 3lb kettlebell for Turkish standups. They are definitely useful if you have some instruction on how to use them effectively. If you have a conditioning coach or personal trainer, etc., I'd check and see if they can show you some ways to use them before you buy.
  • living_4_me
    Options
    Kettlebells are beyond worth the money.... IF you know how to use them! That is the essential key to them. There are a TON of killer exercises that you can put together to form a wicked, body transforming circuit - but if you don't know how to swing, rack, snatch, clean, press, etc. etc. etc. the kb properly, than you're going to risk injuring yourself and not getting a good workout.

I really suggest learning how to swing them first and get the basic kb techniques down before trying to just figure out how to swing them. Once you learn the basics then you can create your own circuits and whatnot and workout with them at home.

Also, I use a 25lb kb for most of my circuit moves (although I double swing with 30 and sometimes up to 45 if we're doing a crossfit workout). I do the turkish getup with 10lb kbs.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    The weight depends on the exercise. I do a hip swing with a 35lb kettlebell sometimes, but I also use a 3lb kettlebell for Turkish standups. They are definitely useful if you have some instruction on how to use them effectively. If you have a conditioning coach or personal trainer, etc., I'd check and see if they can show you some ways to use them before you buy.

good advice! Like I said before, form is crucial and you can tweak a wrist pretty easy if your form is off.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I have one and it came with a mini workout dvd. There's a learning curve there for sure. I didn't grasp the moves quickly. I can see the benefits though if you do get in the groove and figure it out. Weight bearing exercises that are low intensity have to be really good for the body. I just need to try it again. I put it down months ago after two tries. I've kept saying I'm going to attempt it again, just haven't. I say go for it if it interests you at all.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from Marshall's. It was cheaper than anywhere else I've seen too.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Ahh see I was apprehensive because I have herniated disks in my lower back and something called perthes disease in my hip. Not sure I should even try this. Maybe I should ask my doctor or therapist first.

At any rate, thank you everyone. Im confident that they will help me as long as I do it right and be patient. The good news is I go in for surgery in august so if I hurt myself more, they can just fix it for me then ;)
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump
  • YogiGirlLucy
    YogiGirlLucy Posts: 290
    Options
    I would say worth the money. We did a lot of Kettlebell exercises when I was doing Cross Fit last year, and it was very effective. I would use lighter ones for Turkish Getups and the other arm exercises, and heavier for hip swings. I got up to 35lbs for the hip swings, at 5'6" and 125lbs. I got to that weight on a gradient however. I didn't go heavier than that because there was no need for me to.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I definately think kettlebells are worth the money, but as a few other people have mentioned you do need to know how to use them. If you are just starting to do weight bearing exercises/strength training you may not want to start with kettlebells. Form is very important when using kettlebells and you can hurt yourself if you don't use them correctly. I would suggest meeting with a trainer and getting set up on some sort of workout plan. Then they can help you with form and the right direction to go. Kettlebells do give you a great full body workout and really get your heart rate up, so I would definately suggest getting one once you are ready for it. At your size you should easily be able to use a 25lb probably even a 35 lb. Good luck!