Running through the pain.

Options
Hi everyone, I need some advice from the running gurus. I'm 22, weigh 185 trying to get down to 150, and just started getting back into running after a drought. My route is just over a mile long, mostly sidewalk. I notice that I start getting foot pain along my route, and sometimes I'll have pain in upper back muscles. As the thread title suggests, I simply just push through the pain. Am I ignoring a major red flag? Or is this nothing? I doubt it has anything to do with hydration, as I drink a full cup of water right before running, and I drink several after.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    sharp pain or dull pain?
    were the running shoes fitted to you by a running store?
    any pre-existing injuries?
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Pain is your body telling you that something is not right.
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    Dull pain, not fitted by running store, no pre-existing injuries as far as I know.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    If it's in the upper shoulders, it could be simply your neck muscles getting used to carrying your arms differently. It's fairly common for new runners to get sore/ tired neck & shoulder muscles.

As for the foot, I can't help you much there. There are so many things a foot problem can be. The best I could recommend is that you stretch your calves thoroughly after running (google: running stretches), and also roll a golf ball around under your bare foot. It could just be knots in your foot, and the golf ball helps release them. Anything more than that I'd talk to a podiatrist if it persists.

Oh, you may want to just go to a running store, and have a pair fitted for you. (note, not a sporting goods store that sells running shoes)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I normally run on the treadmill, but on weekends, I run outside with my husband. I noticed I was having foot pain so I decided to try running on the street instead of the sidewalk and that really helped. Im not sure if it's because of the different surface, the fact that the street is more even (the sidewalk dips for driveways) or both or neither. I run in my very quiet neighborhood. I probably wouldn't recommend trying this if your route has busy streets.

Also, love the sig. That is my favorite workout song.