Suggestions to replace the blue cheese in this recipe?

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
I'll possibly be grilling for Dad's day tomorrow and am trying to prepare some recipes!
I've never been a fan of blue cheese. Can you guys suggest a different cheese that would work will with this recipe?

Blue Cheese Stuffed Burger with Red Onion and Spinach

Ingredients

lb. ground beef
Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/3
to 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 oz.)
medium red onion
Olive oil
cup fresh baby spinach
hamburger buns, split
directions

1. In bowl combine beef, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. On waxed paper, shape into eight thin 4-inch-diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese in center of four of the patties. Top with remaining four patties; pinch edges to seal.

2. Brush onion slices with olive oil; sprinkle with salt.

3. Place burgers and onions directly over medium-high heat. Grill 5 minutes per side or until no pink remains in burger. Add cut slides of buns with olive oil. Grill, cut side down, the last minute of grilling.

4. Serve burgers on buns with grilled onions, spinach, and remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings.

nutrition facts

Calories 497 Total Fat (g)31Saturated Fat (g)12, Monounsaturated Fat (g)14, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)89, Sodium (mg)638, Carbohydrate (g)26, Total Sugar (g)4, Fiber (g)2, Protein (g)27, Vitamin C (DV%)11, Calcium (DV%)17, Iron (DV%)25, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Crumbled feta?

Or pretty much any shredded/grated cheese. Maybe grate some Swiss? It's lower in sodium than a lot of other cheeses.
  • kklemencic
    kklemencic Posts: 45
    Options
    Feta or Asiago cheese would be delicious.
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    feta cheese, or the laughing cow cheese wedges . they are only 35 calories, 1 carb, 2 fat, 2 protein. 1 sugar. 210 sodium
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'll possibly be grilling for Dad's day tomorrow and am trying to prepare some recipes!
    I've never been a fan of blue cheese. Can you guys suggest a different cheese that would work will with this recipe?

Blue Cheese Stuffed Burger with Red Onion and Spinach

Ingredients

lb. ground beef
    Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1/3
    to 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 oz.)
    medium red onion
    Olive oil
    cup fresh baby spinach
    hamburger buns, split
    directions

1. In bowl combine beef, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. On waxed paper, shape into eight thin 4-inch-diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese in center of four of the patties. Top with remaining four patties; pinch edges to seal.

2. Brush onion slices with olive oil; sprinkle with salt.

3. Place burgers and onions directly over medium-high heat. Grill 5 minutes per side or until no pink remains in burger. Add cut slides of buns with olive oil. Grill, cut side down, the last minute of grilling.

4. Serve burgers on buns with grilled onions, spinach, and remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings.

nutrition facts

Calories 497 Total Fat (g)31Saturated Fat (g)12, Monounsaturated Fat (g)14, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)89, Sodium (mg)638, Carbohydrate (g)26, Total Sugar (g)4, Fiber (g)2, Protein (g)27, Vitamin C (DV%)11, Calcium (DV%)17, Iron (DV%)25, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

I wouldn't replace the blue cheese. Im not a fan either, but that recipe sounds delicious and I find that I can handle blue cheese in small quantities. However, maybe you can make your patty w/the kind of cheese you like and leave the rest as is.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    feta cheese, or the laughing cow cheese wedges . they are only 35 calories, 1 carb, 2 fat, 2 protein. 1 sugar. 210 sodium
    Love the laughing cow suggestion! :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I LOVE goat cheese! It has less calories than bleu cheese, less sodium, less total fat, and less carbs. :wink: