what kind of produce do you buy?

Options
I always buy the old standbys lettuce, bell pepper, carrots... I'm heading into town to do some grocery shopping later and I was wondering if there are any produce items out there that are a little more exotic and filling. I would love to learn to prepare something new!

1628192.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• connamiragna
    Options
    Radishes are something I just tried today, and I enjoyed them.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    These are not exactly exotic, but I love raw zuchini (spelling??) in my salad. Love red peppers for a sweeter change from regular green peppers. Love to steam yellow squash. Sweet potatoes are a nice change. Love brussel sprouts. Sugar snap peas are good with a sandwich instead of chips.
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    TOMATOES! I put them in almost everything lol..Not exactly exciting but they are great in salads and in stir-fry.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I use a lot of zucchini & mushrooms - I add it to lots of stuff to get more veg in. And I'm addicted to asparagus. As long as you don't overcook it to mush (which I did the first time and didn't eat it for 10 years cuz I didn't think I liked it!) it's great, yummy & lots of fibre.
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    Sharon fruit are amazing (also called persimmons), as is dragonfruit and starfruit. Both great for snacks or to add to salad (I am now a convert to putting fruit in 'savoury' salads after I had an apple, halloumi and pomegranate salad!)

Other favourites of mine are kiwis, peaches, corn on the cob, nectarine, aubergine, and butternut squash.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is one of my favourites! :love: I want to venture out and have a more varied diet - I always eat the same things!
  • Steffy_girrl
    Options
    I belong to a community supported agriculture farm and have found that it gives me a great chance to try vegetables that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. I learned last year that I love Kolhrabi and love to eat snap peas and green beans raw for a bit of crunch to go with anything instead of chips. I would incourage you to try a local csa in your area. The other great thing is that it is usually partially reimbursed through your insurance company and I've found is cheaper than buy produce weekly during the summer!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm with last poster... We do an organic local farm produce box, so it comes stuffed with whatever is in season. We just got some spring onions, so looking for something to throw those into!

Artichokes, cauliflower (mashed up like "potatoes," steamed, raw) and acorn squash. I also love the french green beans (skinny and long) raw. YUM!