HRMs and Pedometers???

meggers123
meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking into getting a HRM (I'm trying not to put too much money into this since our budget is always tight, but so far I'm only at 6.99 + S&H for 30 day Shred... and maybe a bit more than usual for our food budget). What kind do you have? What do you recommend- I'd like a good, but not too expensive one.

Also, does anyone have one that is also a pedometer (especially for distance, but time and steps is also nice)? I have two "hand-me-down" pedometers, and neither work great. One only tells steps (hard to see if i'm improving on running distance) and the other only counts steps, time and distance when it feels like it, which I realized this yesterday when it told me my total exercise time was 0:03 and calories 13, after a 40 minutes walk. ggrrrrr

Thanks guys.

Replies

• Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Just got Polar FT7, it is pretty nifty!
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    I have a Timex Ironman Race Trainer. I found it on line for around $85. I don't use a pedometer, because I have an android and use Cardiotrainer. That tracks my distance as well as speed and keeps all of my workouts and calories burned (although estimated - it still keeps me on the right track). If you have an android, I HIGHLY recommend the app - it's free! If you have an iPhone, then Runkeeper is supposed to be pretty good from what I understand.

Good luck! It is so confusing looking for technology - too much to choose from!!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    I order a HRM from amazon. It's a Polar ft4 and I got it for less than 70 bucks.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    I have a Polar FT40. LOVE it! and it has an add-on that you can buy that works in sync with the HRM. You just clip it to your shoe laces or bike and it tracks distance and steps. it is on the pricier side (approx $160-$200 for just the HRM) but REMEMBER you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to HRMs and pedometers.
  • megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    is it hard to program? I bought one that was not that brand and I was lost in programing it so I did not use it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it! It's super easy to use and set up... I paid around 79 dollars for mine.

Remember that you get what you pay for when it comes to an HRM. So while you may have to wait a bit to save up for it, it will be worth it in the end. Whatever you do, don't get the TImex Unisex Zone Personal Trainer HRM. It looks like a good deal at 30 to 50 dollars but the calorie count on it is way off.
  • meggers123
    I have a Timex Ironman Race Trainer. I found it on line for around $85. I don't use a pedometer, because I have an android and use Cardiotrainer. That tracks my distance as well as speed and keeps all of my workouts and calories burned (although estimated - it still keeps me on the right track). If you have an android, I HIGHLY recommend the app - it's free! If you have an iPhone, then Runkeeper is supposed to be pretty good from what I understand.

Good luck! It is so confusing looking for technology - too much to choose from!!

I don't have the internet on my phone, thanks for the tips though.
  • cfinley21
    cfinley21 Posts: 18
    I was just looking at HRM on amazon! I am curious if you have to wear that thing around your chest or if the watch does it for you.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    This was recommended to me when I didn't want to pay for a Polar: http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-Hybrid-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000K862PE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308451319&sr=8-4

PS - I really like it!

My phone is my pedometer... I put it in my pocket today when I went on my walk, and near the end of my walk I remembered that I hadn't turned it on. :huh:

PS - You shouldn't spend much money on one, it just has to work really. Dollar store. :laugh:
  • meggers123
    Thanks for all the great tips. I've been doing a little research, and I think I *definitely* want one with a pedometer, since I'm really loving wunning and want to be able to track my success :D

The idea of one that clips on the shoe is awesome, since I often don't have pockets, and my experience with the belt-clip ones is that I have to constantly adjust them (my tummy seems to reject the idea of them)

I may just wait a little bit, save up and get a nice one (maybe the Polar FT40 or 7) as a reward when I hit 180, or 170! :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I was just looking at HRM on amazon! I am curious if you have to wear that thing around your chest or if the watch does it for you.

They make both but you want the one that has a chest strap as they are more accurate then the watch only kind. If you get one with a chest strap you must wear it. other wise the watch won't work.
This discussion has been closed.