What Would You Do?

Options
I am a nurse. I work in a busy hospital 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts. Those days I am really busy, and I have found that the allocated calories of 1600 which is what MFP sets me at, doesn't keep me full. I do eat tons of protein and fiber. I am up at 5 am and I go to bed around 10:30 pm.

Should I increase the calories on the 3 days I work, since I am so busy all day?

Replies

• RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Zigzagging calories actually has been proven many times to boost weight loss, and as long as you don't go over dramatically on those few days, I think it would be healthy :)
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I'd definitely say yes. I've read a bit about zig-zagging calories anyway, and nursing is really hard work. By keeping calories so low, you're not doing your body, your energy, or yourself any good. I'd maybe bump it up to whatever MFP suggests to maintain weight, and keep the calories lower on the other 5 days of the week. Since you're up on your feet, I'd put money down that you're easily burning the extra calories.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was wondering if that is what I should do. I might try it today and tomorrow and then d rop back down since I'm off monday.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I would add an additional 150-200 calories on those days. You are much more busy (on your feet and running around) on those days so you are burning more calories. I know it's super hard (I'm a nursing student so I know what clinical days are like) but try to squeeze in a Special K protein shake between breakfast and lunch or lunch and supper whenever you are getting the most hungry to help keep you full and keep your energy levels up.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    You could get a pedometer and see how many steps you are walking on your shifts. Then you could log it as exercise (walking) on those days and MFP will add extra calories on for you.
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

you need your diet to work to your schedule/ body.

When you`re working, i`d add some calories on to those days (Not too many obviously).

Your bodys metabolism will require more when you`re active, just be careful you don`t get into the habit when you`re not working.

Nursing is the hardest job in the hospital, best of luck.

Feel free to add me as a friend.:smile: