Body Image

Options
So with the 34 pounds that I have lost, you would think I would be able to see a difference, right? I am noticing that even when I go to buy new clothes, for whatever reason I still will automatically pick up the larger shirt or pants. I guess I am used to getting the larger size, but even now in some cases I have to put it on to realize it is too big. I am hoping at some point I will get over this and be able to really enjoy my weight loss.

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I hope you get there! I lost most of my weight (over 60 pounds) a few years ago, but still head to the larger sizes in stores. For me part of it is that I'd rather try something on and then ask for a smaller size rather than a larger size. Good luck and congrats on your loss!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with this on a daily basis! I'm the smallest i've ever been but I still feel big and I still act like i'm big. All my same insecurities are there. But then, i've been living with them for the past 15 years, I guess it would be unrealistic to expect them to go over a few months!
  • mandrigo99
    mandrigo99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. A lot of people have started to notice my weight loss and comment on it all the time. I just don't see where there is a difference. Sometimes I feel like they are just trying to be nice. Since Jan 2011 I have lost 30 lbs so I know I should be seeing a difference but I don't. I just think I will always think I am bigger then I am.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My body image is SO horribly horrbily skewed. I do not have any pictures of when I was 220 pounds so it's hard for me to see how far I've come.

A few weeks ago I jumped back on the fitness bandwagon and since I've lost about 11 pounds. I kept bugging my boyfriend.

"Can you tell that I've lost weight?"
    "Yes"
    "You're lying. Your just saying that so I won't hit you."
    "No."
    "Are you sure it's noticeable?"
    "Yes."

He started getting really frustrated with me after a couple days of this and made me go take a new picture of myself today.

164165bwprogress.jpg

Crazy right?

Moral of the story being. Keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. Take new pictures of yourself about every 10 - 15 pounds so you can see your progress and stay motivated.

I am really really hoping that when I'm at my goal weight or lower that I'm not going to be one of those skinny chicks that goes around pinching the minuscule bit of fat on my tummy and crying about being "fat".
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you . . .

Some weeks (liek this one) I actually see "Skinnier Me." Then there are others where I still see "Big ME." But I'm starting to change the way that I look at my body. I am buying clothes that flatter my body the way it is NOW and it's helping.

I had to go shopping last week for pants, so I headed to the Outlet mall. I spotted the Lane Bryant store, and thought "Cool! Lane Bryant! Until I realized that I was not going to be able to fit in their clothes anymore! (which was a shame -- they had some really cute stuff in the window!)

Once I was in the dreaded dressing room with a larger and a smaller size of each of the items I wanted to buy -- I could start to see the difference. Sometimes the larger size fit better (but needs to be tailored) -- other times, the smaller size fit just fine. But the biggest change was what I saw in the mirror -- "Skinny Me" finally showed up, and she had a big smile on her face!

Skinny You is there -- you just need to keep looking in the mirror and coax her out. If you need to try on some big clothes, only to reject them as too big -- go ahead.. And if you find something that's a little out of your comfort zone -- try it on! It might just fit Skinny You. Trust me, she's fabulous!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Totally know what you mean. I've lost 23 lbs and beat my goal weight and weigh less than I did before I had my son. I wear the smallest size i remember ever wearing. Thing is, when I look in the mirror, I still see the same person I saw 23 lbs heavier. I have started exercising since I didn't really do any during my weight loss. I am hoping that toning up with help me see the real me.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can see a difference there! Congrats on your loss!
    My body image is SO horribly horrbily skewed. I do not have any pictures of when I was 220 pounds so it's hard for me to see how far I've come.

A few weeks ago I jumped back on the fitness bandwagon and since I've lost about 11 pounds. I kept bugging my boyfriend.

"Can you tell that I've lost weight?"
    "Yes"
    "You're lying. Your just saying that so I won't hit you."
    "No."
    "Are you sure it's noticeable?"
    "Yes."

He started getting really frustrated with me after a couple days of this and made me go take a new picture of myself today.

164165bwprogress.jpg

Crazy right?

Moral of the story being. Keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. Take new pictures of yourself about every 10 - 15 pounds so you can see your progress and stay motivated.

I am really really hoping that when I'm at my goal weight or lower that I'm not going to be one of those skinny chicks that goes around pinching the minuscule bit of fat on my tummy and crying about being "fat".
  • lajuice24
    Options
    Thank you! I just got to bring her out! lol

I'm right there with you . . .

Some weeks (liek this one) I actually see "Skinnier Me." Then there are others where I still see "Big ME." But I'm starting to change the way that I look at my body. I am buying clothes that flatter my body the way it is NOW and it's helping.

I had to go shopping last week for pants, so I headed to the Outlet mall. I spotted the Lane Bryant store, and thought "Cool! Lane Bryant! Until I realized that I was not going to be able to fit in their clothes anymore! (which was a shame -- they had some really cute stuff in the window!)

Once I was in the dreaded dressing room with a larger and a smaller size of each of the items I wanted to buy -- I could start to see the difference. Sometimes the larger size fit better (but needs to be tailored) -- other times, the smaller size fit just fine. But the biggest change was what I saw in the mirror -- "Skinny Me" finally showed up, and she had a big smile on her face!

Skinny You is there -- you just need to keep looking in the mirror and coax her out. If you need to try on some big clothes, only to reject them as too big -- go ahead.. And if you find something that's a little out of your comfort zone -- try it on! It might just fit Skinny You. Trust me, she's fabulous!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    But is it not a great feeling choosing a bigger size first just to return it for a smaller one? I think so! Great going wish you the best!
  • lajuice24
    Options
    It would seem that as you get smaller you would be able to tell the difference yourself. LOL
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have days that I feel fantastic, and days I feel like there's no difference between now and 25 pounds ago. I just have to remind myself on the "no difference" days that I look the same - and maybe better! - as I did a few days earlier when I felt fantastic.

I don't see the changes in the mirror. It's too gradual. It's only when I do side by side photos that I really see the difference. And when I went shopping and bought new jeans and shorts that actually fit right. In my old droopy-drawers jeans or shorts, I don't look much different. In my new little plaid shorts, I feel like Sookie Stackhouse!