Running after injury...

Options
Elle408
Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
Ok, bit of back story...
I have been a treadmill runner for a while, and then a few months ago took up street running. After getting over the first initial shock of street vs. treadmill running I completely and utterly fell in love with running, once I hit my steady pace I feel like i can go on forever and there is nothing better to me than getting home absolutely glowing and dripping in sweat to make me feel like it's been worth it!

BUT, I guess I took it too far. I went on holiday and started running 10k every other day. I felt absolutely fine, no aches or pains or anything yet on my last day of doing the run about 9k's in my foot started to hurt. It was just a niggly pain so I finished out the run expecting it to get better after a day or two.

3 weeks later and it's not better! I haven't had x-rays because the nhs seem really, really reluctant to do x-rays on runners ankles, although I was diagnosed with ligament damage. I have swelling just under my ankle bone that doesn't seem to be going any where. The pain is a lot better than what it was and I've pretty much stopped limping.

I guess my question is, how do I ease myself back in without doing more damage?

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as I have a connective tissue disorder, my joints and muscles are extra bendy if you like. No matter how hard I work out or run or whatever, I never, ever feel any of the associated aches or pains the next day (muscle soreness etc.) so I never really know if i'm pushing it unless I get an injury.

I felt physically fine to run 10ks, 4 times a week and probably could have done more had I not ran out of road. I guess i'm just not really sure how to fit in my new hobby without damaging myself further!

Replies

• Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    I would say it depends on where your foot hurts. If it's higher up, investing in an ankle brace might help. If it's lower, then you might want to try checking out new shoes and maybe find some that put less stress onto that foot. As for easing yourself in, starting with half the distance and going at a slightly faster pace may help. Otherwise, I would just run until the foot begins to hurt. Even if it's only a little pain, stop running and just walk the rest of the way. Your body will tell you what it's ready for.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Once you're cleared to run, take it really easy. Like just a couple miles (even less than 5k to start) and ease back into it. You won't want to, but you must take it easy. I would even ease back in with intervals (walk/run) so you don't re-injure yourself.

I'm no expert, but that's what I've read. Please take it easy, and within a couple months you'll be back at it. But, I recommend changing up your routine and not going that far every time. I know it sounds weird, but check out the experts, they don't run that far every time. Some days my plan (runner's world smartcoach) calls for 2 miles, then 5, then 2, then 7. Vary it up, it might help!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I really like my running shoes but in hindsight I don't think they're giving me enough support. Especially considering I have weak ankles as it is!

I guess I need to invest some money in to my new hobby as I really feel like it's something I want to continue for life and preferably without injury so I guess some decent ankle supports would be a good idea too.

I have a bad mindset that more is better... but I guess if I look around for some training plans that incorporate longer and shorter runs it won't feel too bad, as it's what i'm being TOLD to do... if that makes sense! lol