Food related NSV

Options
My brother thought he would be nice (and he was trying to be helpful) and run to go get lunch since I'm helping him with two computers that he's rebuilding. He brought back two Wendy's grilled chicken sandwiches and 2 small orders of their new fresh cut sides with sea salt--he did ask for both orders of fries to be not salted.

So, I logged on to MFP from my laptop and went to enter the sandwich in under what I had for lunch. After I saw the sodium content, I couldn't eat it. My brother kind of felt bad. I told him that I appreciate the thought (he's saving the sandwich I didn't eat for later).

However, the fries were VERY yummy....and not bad on the sodium content either...

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I probably would have jsut eaten the sandwich and tried to cut some things later to make up for it. I admit that I am not as careful about sodium as I should be. :blushing:
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Awwww... Poor guy, he thought he was being helpful! But way to stick to your guns, I haven't got that kind of guts yet! :wink:
  • Jessica5000
    Options
    That is amazing. You know what my train of thought would be. I wouldn't want to hurt my brother's feelings so I'd eat it. Eat it for him. That makes no sense. I have to start putting me first. I've been putting everyone else first for so long.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I apologized to him and he told me that he wasn't offended. We're both trying to eat better, especially after he was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (AFTER he lost over 100 lbs). He only ate about half of his sandwich anyway.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    He's a sweetie. Tell him to watch out for those fries--even the smalls have over 40 carbs per serving, and that's a LOT for a diabetic, especially when combined with the chicken sandwich which would take him up over 80 carbs, if the Wendy's site's nutritional info is correct. Almost certainly more carbs than he should be having in one meal.

And good job to you--that is hard, turning down something yummy when it's right there and a gift from someone you love!

Kris
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Well you gotta pick your battles, and the chicken sandwich is super high in sodium, but the fries are higher is calories, fat and carbs, and lower in protein. I guess only we can decide the best decisions for ourselves.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i would've ate the sandwich and probably put salt on my fries. i also have low blood pressure and while not healthy for some people eating high sodium foods help me not have to sit down from getting light headed sometimes.
  • ser0630
    Options
    He's a sweetie. Tell him to watch out for those fries--even the smalls have over 40 carbs per serving, and that's a LOT for a diabetic, especially when combined with the chicken sandwich which would take him up over 80 carbs, if the Wendy's site's nutritional info is correct. Almost certainly more carbs than he should be having in one meal.

And good job to you--that is hard, turning down something yummy when it's right there and a gift from someone you love!

Kris

I will mention that to him. Thanks Kris. He doesn't eat french fries much anymore since he was diagnosed. I think this was the first time he's had fries since he was diagnosed and that was two months ago.

jujubean, judging by the fact that my brother only ate half of his sandwich...it probably wasn't that great to begin with.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Good for you!

This may be a dumb question but sodium is not something I really worry about watching and I'm wondering what the effects of sodium are? I know it can make you retain water, and I think it affects blood pressure, but is there anything else? If my BP is okay, is there much to be concerned about?
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    too much sodium can cause your blood pressure to go high even if it is low and it can also cause you to retain water and then you won't lose weight and it will also cause bloating. You need some sodium because your body has channels that only sodium can open, but too much is not good. there are other side effects as well, but I would have to drag out my medical books to look them up and they are where I can't reach them right now. the max a person should have is 2500 and I set mine at 2200 mg a day. No question about your health is a stupid question. I had good blood pressure my entire life, and now it is on the high side from eating so much sodium. Too much sodium can also make you thirsty and sluggish and feel just generally crappy. It is why I started tracking mine and now that I have it under control I don't feel that way much anymore.

edit: according to WebMD "Too much sodium can increase the risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke." The mayo clinic says the same thing as does Johns Hopkins University and many other sites. (I just googled it)

*This is for the person who posted above me... I think her name is Shona...
  • ser0630
    Options
    Good for you!

This may be a dumb question but sodium is not something I really worry about watching and I'm wondering what the effects of sodium are? I know it can make you retain water, and I think it affects blood pressure, but is there anything else? If my BP is okay, is there much to be concerned about?

There is a family history of high blood pressure/heart problems in my family, so my doctor has advised me to watch my sodium intake (even though my blood pressure is in the normal range).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!