Are "net carbs" a real thing, or marketing ploy?

Options
From what I can see it would make sense that you could subtract the fiber from the carbs but I'm not so sure about the sugar alcohols. The reading I've done says those do effect your blood sugar.

Do you have thoughts on this - what are most Low Carb dieters doing with the net carbs issue?

Thanks!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Don't have much to back it up but I've read from other nutritionists that the concept is a joke, a carb is a carb. If you're doing a low carb diet try them and see how it affects you I guess, but I would probably err on the cautious side and avoid the special atkins type bars and stuff.
  • Alstuder
    Alstuder Posts: 1
    Options
    When I have done low carb diets, I found that sugar alcohols were indeed better than sugar as measured by the ketosis sticks, however I never lost as much weight as when I stayed away from them altogether. I tended to eat more when I had more of a variety to choose from.
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am going low carb, but not as low as the Atkins diet. I personally balance this problem out by only allowing myself one of these kind of treats a day. Since I am not restricting myself too a set number I haven't been troubled by it.

I personally think that it seems like a marketing ploy as well. That is why I am trying to eat as wholesome as I can and avoid the sugars altogether.
  • mexigrl64
    mexigrl64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What about something like Dreamfields pasta - I don't understand how they start off at 42 carbs and get down to less than 10. It just seems suspect. However, if it is the real deal then it would be great to have pasta!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    From what I know net carbs are the carbohydrates minus the dietary fiber.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As far as sugar alcohols go, I think it just varies from person to person. I lose consistently even while consuming moderate amounts of sugar alcohols, but I know others that will fly right out of ketosis the minute a sugar-free Lifesaver hits their tongue.

As far as fiber goes, you're always safe deducting fiber from your carb intake. Your body does not digest fiber (hence the fact that it's fiber). It moves through the digestive tract largely unchanged, dragging with it toxins, food particles, cholesterol, etc. It also slows the absorption of carbs (and slows digestion in general), so it actually has an almost neutral effect on blood sugar levels.

Hmmm... Dreamfields. I love the stuff, but I touch it about twice per year-- and as a side dish, if that. I don't believe for a minute that it's "5g of 'effective' carbs." I'll deduct the fiber, sure-- but IMHO, it's not low carb. Maybe when I've lost all my weight I'll treat myself to it once per week, as a side dish, but not until then. For me, it's too risky during my ongoing weight loss phase.