I don't know what I'm doing

Options
Hi,

I'm not really that new to mfp, only a few weeks. I've been trying to lose weight most of my life, but there have always been excuses for failure (some fairly reasonable). I have come to a point in my life where I have realised all the things being obese has cost me and now is the time to change. I'm not a fan of posts that say "please be my friend" but I don't know how to make contact with people. I tried to post at the start, but no-one replied. I've never used message boards before and have really appreciated the support my 4 mfp friends have given me. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. I have to do this. I cannot lose out on anything else. Thank you for listening x

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    HI:happy:

Well I will tell you how I use it. I have been on MFP for about 6 months. It helps me a lot in the following ways:
    1> Being accountable for what I eat and whether I exercise - this alone has helped me to do better.
    2> Learning more about the nutritional value of foods. For example I had peanut butter for lunch today which I have less often now that I realized how many calories it has relative to other things!! But today it fit in perfectly with my plans and the "good fat" is good for me!
    3> In terms of the networking - well I use it for networking by reading posts and responding to those that I think are interesting. I get strength from what other people say and especially from realizing that we are all fighting the same battles. :drinker: I have not used the "friend" function at all and don't really want to. I try to log every day but I only look at the posts off and on when I have more time.
    Does that help?
    Oh- and if people don't answer your post just repost- I think it's just luck of the draw which ones show up on the "home" page.
  • VICKY_83
    VICKY_83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi ya, Im new to this as well. I don't have many friends on ere, I know how hard it is to stick to diets and exercise but when you do stick to it you get use to it. Plus drink loads of water that helps to fill you up..
  • mathsgirl
    mathsgirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you. It may sound a bit daft, but I haven't thought of using mfp to help me choose foods that are better nutritionally. I just log what I eat at the end of each day. I will try to use it to plan my meals ahead of time. I have found great inspiration from reading others posts (when I found them), I can't believe it has taken me so long to try to use message boards. i feel so out of touch. Thank you again.
  • VICKY_83
    VICKY_83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    HI:happy:

Well I will tell you how I use it. I have been on MFP for about 6 months. It helps me a lot in the following ways:
    1> Being accountable for what I eat and whether I exercise - this alone has helped me to do better.
    2> Learning more about the nutritional value of foods. For example I had peanut butter for lunch today which I have less often now that I realized how many calories it has relative to other things!! But today it fit in perfectly with my plans and the "good fat" is good for me!
    3> In terms of the networking - well I use it for networking by reading posts and responding to those that I think are interesting. I get strength from what other people say and especially from realizing that we are all fighting the same battles. :drinker: I have not used the "friend" function at all and don't really want to. I try to log every day but I only look at the posts off and on when I have more time.
    Does that help?
    Oh- and if people don't answer your post just repost- I think it's just luck of the draw which ones show up on the "home" page.
    I agree with you.:smile: well said
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would be happy for you to add me. I can give you advice throughout your journey!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    There is so much education and inspiration here. Take the time to read and learn, log honestly and completely, and do your best to live up to your goals. I have never managed more than a very temporary diet...I believe I am now on a journey to a permanent lifestyle change, all because of the tough, unvarnished truth I have found here.

My favorite so far: If you really want it, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse.

Welcome and good luck!
  • trk24
    trk24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't either a few weeks ago. However, since starting the beginning of June, and yet to lose any poundage, I have been able to figure out a few things by reading the message boards.

It took the message boards for me to realize I am not the only one dealing with weight issues. After alot of reading I figured out that I did not have my settings right and is the main reason for me not losing any weight. Now that I have figured out I am not getting enough calories in and understand you have to eat back your workout calories, I feel renewed. I just recently changed my settings and food diary and I know it will work for me. I refuse to give up...I know you do too. You can do it!

I have befriended some fellow MFPs and even had some befriend me. I find it refreshing watching their posts and inspiration. I even look at their food logs for new ideas. It keeps me accountable too since I know others maybe looking at what I have been up too.

Its all here if you want to use it! Good luck to you!!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not really that new to mfp, only a few weeks. I've been trying to lose weight most of my life, but there have always been excuses for failure (some fairly reasonable). I have come to a point in my life where I have realised all the things being obese has cost me and now is the time to change. I'm not a fan of posts that say "please be my friend" but I don't know how to make contact with people. I tried to post at the start, but no-one replied. I've never used message boards before and have really appreciated the support my 4 mfp friends have given me. If you have any advice I would love to hear it. I have to do this. I cannot lose out on anything else. Thank you for listening x

You'll find loads of friends on here, I'm fionat29, welcome to mfp. I've only been on here for 2 months, but it is fantastic! I really believe that the fact that you are logging your food and exercise every day makes you stick to the diet more than if you were just trying to, say, write everything down. But, I will say, it will only work if you are honest. It's difficult sometimes but we all understand about bad days, we've all been there, if you lie to yourself on here then there's no point.
  • lynny999
    lynny999 Posts: 1
    Options
    hi today i started the alli slimming pill its sort of a last ditch thing im sick of dieting and getting nowere fast i cant even blame my 4 kids for my weight gain the last one being 11 iv tried everything going but its no use my self esteams shot to bits anyway i feel a bit better after that moan
  • mathsgirl
    mathsgirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I find it humbling that total strangers are so supportive. Thank you. I am finding it difficult over the last week have not logged on. It is so much easier with mfp. I shall stick with it.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Because there are many paths to skinny, whatever plan you have chosen, whether it be low cal or low carb, let someone else know so that you can find like-minded friends who can help you along the way with some great recipes and tips to keep you moving in the right direction. I am a low carber. I am extremely carb sensitive. So I eat under 50 grams of carbs a day.