sugar overages

Options
So lately I've been noticing that I'm going over on my sugar. Most of the sugar is coming from fruits/yogurt. I find that I'm not tracking it carefully and eliminated those thing from my diet to keep from going over....I was losing weight before so should i really be that concerned?

Replies

• mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.. but mine is from more than just fruit
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been over ever since I start tracking! I'm cutting my yogurt intake until I can find some with less sugar.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    this was a big issue of mine for a while. At one point, I wouldn't even eat fruit bc it would put me over the 40g of sugar MFP allows per day.

Now I just ignore my sugar because I am very careful not to eat too much ADDED sugar. If you know that most of it is coming from fruit, then you're fine (at least that's how I feel). I know that for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues, they have to watch their fruit intake.

I also ended up cutting out anything with more than 8-10g of added sugar per serving. I also use sugar substitutes (I like splenda or stevia), though I know that some people think they're bad. I personally don't care about their potential negative side effects (plus, I haven't experienced any and I've been eating them every day for over a year). They're sweet and they have 0 calories. Good enough for me! Not saying you should go do what I do, maybe they are bad, but I'm okay with that and accept any consequences. haha

anyway, i eat like 150g of sugar a day, but I'd say 75% of it is from fruit. I'm not doctor or anything, but I've read that sugar is the first thing used to give your body energy, so as long as you're giving it a reason to be burning sugar, you're fine. Though I am basing this off of my own experience (I work out every day, and twice a day at least 3 of those days).
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm trying an experiment to stay under with any kind of sugar, from fruit or otherwise, to help cut down on my belly. Everything is shrinking but my stomach so I'm starting to have this pot belly thing going on.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend eliminating fruit from you diet... you need fruit. Yes it's high in sugar, but it's natural. You just need to be aware of your processed sugar intake. MFP counts all sugars the same, but not all sugar is created equal. I keep an eye on my sugar but I'm almost always in the red because of the sugars in fruits AND veggies. As long as you go over on things like that, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    this was a big issue of mine for a while. At one point, I wouldn't even eat fruit bc it would put me over the 40g of sugar MFP allows per day.

Now I just ignore my sugar because I am very careful not to eat too much ADDED sugar. If you know that most of it is coming from fruit, then you're fine (at least that's how I feel). I know that for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues, they have to watch their fruit intake.

I also ended up cutting out anything with more than 8-10g of added sugar per serving. I also use sugar substitutes (I like splenda or stevia), though I know that some people think they're bad. I personally don't care about their potential negative side effects (plus, I haven't experienced any and I've been eating them every day for over a year). They're sweet and they have 0 calories. Good enough for me! Not saying you should go do what I do, maybe they are bad, but I'm okay with that and accept any consequences. haha

anyway, i eat like 150g of sugar a day, but I'd say 75% of it is from fruit. I'm not doctor or anything, but I've read that sugar is the first thing used to give your body energy, so as long as you're giving it a reason to be burning sugar, you're fine. Though I am basing this off of my own experience (I work out every day, and twice a day at least 3 of those days).

Dang I only get like 20g of sugar from MFP... I go over everytime :(
  • jbucci1186
    Options
    20g? THAT SUCKS. I thought 40 was ridiculous.
  • powdermnky
    powdermnky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic because I was wondering the same thing. I ate 2 pounds of fresh blueberries today but it's a lot healthier than Ben & Jerry's!!! I think fruits with natural sugars are okay but I constantly have to keep them in check. I LOVE sugar which is why I have the tendency to overeat fruits. Once and a while is okay for me but I definitely don't want to make it a habit.

You mentioned yogurt. Try greek yogurt...it has less sugar and tons of healthy carbs and protein! I add frozen berries and a packet of Equal to give it flavor. I now like it more than Danon!!! Yes, I've heard the debate on aspartame and I agree that many of the points are valid. With that being said, aspartame is way down on my priority list as far as eating habits to focus on. Eventually I will get there, but first things first!
  • jbucci1186
    Options

You mentioned yogurt. Try greek yogurt...it has less sugar and tons of healthy carbs and protein! I add frozen berries and a packet of Equal to give it flavor. I now like it more than Danon!!! Yes, I've heard the debate on aspartame and I agree that many of the points are valid. With that being said, aspartame is way down on my priority list as far as eating habits to focus on. Eventually I will get there, but first things first!

oooh that reminds me. cozy shack makes no sugar added rice pudding and i add equal or splenda to that. i will say that is does not taste very good as-is... at least not to me. not sweet.