Is it normal to lose more weight in one week than intended?

Options
I started my diet and exercise routine on June 8th...it's been a week and a half and I finally weighed myself. I lost 7 pounds (don't get me wrong I'm very happy with that) but I'm also concerned that it's too much since my weekly goal is supposed to be 1.5 lbs.

Is this normal?

PS I haven't been starving myself, on the contrary I'm eating constantly throughout the day and I feel more energetic than before when I would eat one meal per day.

Replies

• FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    It's always normal to lose more the first week or two. This is mostly due to losing retained water and waste!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    As long as you are eating at your calorie level, it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you were eating more calories in a day prior to starting your journey - and especially if it was just one meal.

Good luck on your continued journey!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Totally normal at the beginning. You'll slow down after a few weeks.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Quite a few people see these results in the first few weeks, so enjoy them - just make sure you eat the calories that MFP has given you and you should start seeing results closer to your goal by week 3.....

Mine is set to 1.5 lbs a week, and I average around 2 lbs a week..... but I know it is because I do a bit more exercise, and eat back some (but not all of my exercise calories)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pound in the first 3 weeks. It is largely water weight, with some fat and likely some muscle. Don't worry about it as it will slow down. This sort of loss is especially common when I person is obese having a lot to lose.