Exercise Pill

Options
I am an Exercise and Wellness major and today in lecture we learned about an up and coming pill. This "magic" pill produces the same exact effects as exercise! Now this pill wont come out for years and is mainly used for people who just recently had surgery and can't be physically active. I just found this new revelation amazing and outstanding. It's crazy our technology has come to this, but hopefully it's used for the right reasons and not just lazy individuals.

Replies

• DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am an Exercise and Wellness major and today in lecture we learned about an up and coming pill. This "magic" pill produces the same exact effects as exercise! Now this pill wont come out for years and is mainly used for people who just recently had surgery and can't be physically active. I just found this new revelation amazing and outstanding. It's crazy our technology has come to this, but hopefully it's used for the right reasons and not just lazy individuals.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news. But they said it's not as good as it sounds. It simply can't do everything that excercise can.
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news. But they said it's not as good as it sounds. It simply can't do everything that excercise can.

Of course! There is no way it can produce everything that exercise does, but it is sure helpful in certain situations if it helps even a little.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I saw this as well. My guess is that it will be more like an anti depressant than anything. Exercise releases seretonin, which is a happy horomone.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I saw this as well. My guess is that it will be more like an anti depressant than anything. Exercise releases seretonin, which is a happy horomone.

It's a neurotransmitter actually, and exercise releases other neurotransmitters as well with similar effects - it is actually possible to become addicted to exercise, although admittedly that one is pretty rare. Most pills just mess with your chemicals, you're totally right - my guess is there's no way this pill will be able to burn calories or add muscle, or even have any of the long-term psychological benefits that exercise has. (If i'm lecturing a bit, I apologize - I just took a test on this about three hours ago :grumble: )