Calling all almond flour users!!

Options
NancyAnne1960
NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
Can you use almond flour instead of white flour for any recipe? Is it the same amount? Any different cooking instructions? I want to switch, but not sure what all I can use it for? Thanks!!

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The Food Substitution Bible (second edition), categorizes Almond Flour as an "alternative flour" which is gluten-free and has a high protein content and a mild, sweet, nutty taste.

Alternative Flours can be substituted for up to half of the all-purpose flour called for in quick bread and yeast bread recipes. The "best uses" sited for Almond Flour are: breads, cookies, pastry.

Hope this helps. Happy baking!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I found this hopefully it helps some...

"Almond flour is good in "quick-bread" type recipes, like muffins, nut breads, and pancakes (see recipes below). It's not good for foods such as bread that require a real dough (you can't knead it). Usually, more eggs are required when baking with almond meal to provide more structure. Almond meal can also be used in breading fish, but care must be taken not to burn it."

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/almondmeal.htm
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I found this hopefully it helps some...

"Almond flour is good in "quick-bread" type recipes, like muffins, nut breads, and pancakes (see recipes below). It's not good for foods such as bread that require a real dough (you can't knead it). Usually, more eggs are required when baking with almond meal to provide more structure. Almond meal can also be used in breading fish, but care must be taken not to burn it."

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/almondmeal.htm

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for!!! Can't wait to get baking!! :)
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine swears by coconut flour. I have not tried it yet, but would love to find something friendly to bread fish with.

I bought a package of whiting last week because it was pretty cheap and that stuff taste nasty broiled lol.