couch to 5K how to log it in?

Options
ChantalGG
ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
I just started couch to 5K who is doing it and what do you log it in as?

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I log it as walking for the number of minutes I walk at 3 or 4 MPH (depending on day) and running for the number of minutes ran at 5.2MPH.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I log it as walking for the number of minutes I walk at 3 or 4 MPH (depending on day) and running for the number of minutes ran at 5.2MPH.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I log it as however many minutes of running I do at whatever speed and however many minutes of walking I do at whatever speed. For instance, I'm doing four minute run intervals with a minute of walking in between after a five minute walk and then walk again for five minutes at the end. So I do fourteen minutes of walking at 3.5 mph and 16 minutes of running at 5.5 mph. It was the only way I could figure to do it.
  • sandalina34
    Options
    I created an exercise in my diary for it and input the calories that c25k said I burned. I bought the add in calorie burner/gps app. Hope that helps!
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used a HRM and just input my own exercise of "Couch to 5K" and how many calories my heart rate monitor says I burned. Otherwise it can be extremely hard to gage. I find my treadmill doesn't give me a correct read out (too low) while the elliptical machine gives me one that is too high compared to what I actually burn. I'm buying my b/f a HRM so he can avoid this problem as well. It all comes down to using your heart rate to gage how hard your actually working. It can depend on your sex, weight, age, etc. Otherwise it's more of an guestimation that might actually be way off.

~ Joanna
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I actully aded "Couch 2 5k" as an exercise in the database. I run on the treadmill and log whatever it shows as calories burned. I do plan to also train outside and will use the following site to figure out my calories:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

you enter your weight and the time you've spent in each activity--e.g. you can enter your time running and scroll down and enter the time walking to get the total for the entire workout.

Good luck w/ c25k--I'm on week 4 and struggling a bit. but plan to just keep at it until I get better. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks! I dont have a HRM yet, I just spent a little too much on my new shoes for now. so i guess i will just log in the running and walking separately. :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I actually create my own exercise for each day I do C25K. I track my runs via Endomondo. I just copy the time and calories burned from Endomondo and create my own entry.

Rationale: My speed varies each time I do C25K. I prefer to have exact info as opposed to MFP approximations. Since MFP really doesn't have a C25K listing (and for good reason) it just makes sense (IMHO) to just create "own exercise".
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercise for each week - C25K W1, etc - and log the time and number of calories shown on my HRM.

If you don't have a HRM, you can use mapmyrun.com to figure your mileage and average speed and then log it as walking or jogging at that rate. Probably won't be exact, but it should be in the ballpark.